Sponsored by:

Suggestions For Advanced Road Racing Schools

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:47 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Suggestions For Advanced Road Racing Schools

Looking for suggestions on road racing schools for an experienced racer. I want to do a couple of schools over the winter where seat time is abundant and designed for drivers who have a fair amount of race experience. The Bondurant advanced racing school looks interesting but want to hear about others where the education takes place in well sorted race craft.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just completed the 3 day Skip Barber race school last week. Great instructors and lots of seat time. I had a lot of track time prior so I couldn't recommend it to anyone other than novices. I definitely learned some stuff but feel, for the money, an investment in personalized training with an independent instructor would have been better. This doesn't answer your question but if you were considering that school I might think twice.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:46 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

I have a friend who did the Bondurant advanced session in the Corvettes and he really like it. It changed how he approaches things for the better and he said the cars were a blast.

I'm impressed with what I've read about the Allen Berg Racing School. No experience with them, but I like what I've read.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:40 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Porsche cup car school
Old 09-30-2014, 11:54 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Can you do that without doing their race school if you already have a race license?
Old 10-01-2014, 12:09 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did advanced formula car school at Bondurant last year and couldn't believe how much track time it was.
Plus, hard to beat a F/Mazda as the platform (slicks and wings).
I did it on some discounted gift cert's that I got through 944Cup, which you should watch for if they come up again, Joe.
Highly recommended.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:49 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Looking for suggestions on road racing schools for an experienced racer. I want to do a couple of schools over the winter where seat time is abundant and designed for drivers who have a fair amount of race experience. The Bondurant advanced racing school looks interesting but want to hear about others where the education takes place in well sorted race craft.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Without having seen you drive -- if you have a good amount of race seat time, you'd be much better off hiring a good Pro for the day and going to the track in your own car VS going to a 3-day racing school. The 3 day schools are really tailored to people just getting started (and tailored very well, there's just a lot of crap you won't need to waste time with).

The Skip Barber 2-day Advanced school is very good (if they still do that? it's been a few years).

-mike
Old 10-01-2014, 12:54 PM
captdownshift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you more interested in line, braking points etc on track, or even at a specific track, or are you interested more in car control at the edges of traction and it's limits?

If it's the later there's a few non traditional options that can provide some significant benefit.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:54 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And these would be?
Old 10-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 150 Posts

Joe- I agree with "fledh" hire a really good pro . You are way to good for the schools
Old 10-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 150 Posts

Maybe the Porsche Cup school
Old 10-01-2014, 01:10 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Whereas I do agree with the above comments regarding a pro coach, no doubt, I did specify that you consider an advanced formula car school.
As I've been out of PCA for the past year, I can also tell you that I've learned a LOT by driving a variety of different cars in the meantime.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:15 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. I have worked with several pro coaches both in car and strictly data/video. I do agree with the tremendous value of learning and advancing with your own car due to the familiarity and consistency of performance. I'm hoping to gain exposure to a different race platform for diversity purposes assuming it enhances my overall level of skill.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:10 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Enter a West Coast Race...or???

Porsche Owners Club has a Willow Springs event in February, I believe. Now you'll need a car. There are 944 Spec Racers for rent, Tim Comeau is the guy with the rental business. Rent a car from Tim and hire a local Pro...they charge $1,000 + a day, ouch!!!! Tim will bring the car to the track for you, true arrive and drive! If you deice to do this, PM me and I'll connect you with a couple of Pros I know.

For schools, Bondurant in Chandler, AZ...great weather. Jim Russell, rumor has it they they will no longer have a permanent base at Laguna Seca, but they will be conducting schools all over the West. This may be a good bet...arrive and drive too.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:24 AM
schao
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever consider a formula car school, such as Skippy Advanced? The idea is to go with a low hp car running on street tires; benefits are you have to maintain momentum, be extra precise on inputs, driver errors are not masked by grip or power, etc. Another benefit is you can choose a location that you may not get to otherwise, sort of checking off "bucket list" tracks. I have no affiliation or financial interest, but am past customer. Good luck.

Sherman

Quick Reply: Suggestions For Advanced Road Racing Schools