Sponsored by:

New track open - NCM - National Corvette Museum

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:12 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New track open - NCM - National Corvette Museum

I had the opportunity to participate in the inaugural HPDE at the new National Corvette Museum track in Bowling Green, KY.

I really enjoyed the track and found it to be technical and challenging. The surface is smooth as a baby's behind, but also slick as the binders are released and rubber is still being layer down. The first day on track I had a used set of Hoosier's polished mirror smooth. They also were slick like they had been sprayed with armor all. The track was improving the second day.

I have to give a shout out to the organizers who did a very nice job for the first DE at the facility. The management is still working on building out all the amenities to realize their full vision.

Here is some video from a run on the second day. You can tell I am still learning the track while fighting a sticky gearbox. Enjoy.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:40 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the video. Of the possible configurations any thoughts how that one rates?
I see you weren't the only nonGM vehicle there lol!
I'll be there this Friday.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:39 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

This configuration is the longest at 3.15 miles, but it is also the most technical and challenging. The track was a blast to drive and with 24 turns that are all different provides a nice challenge. Be safe and have fun.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:54 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting Tim, looks to be a nice technical track. I was wondering of someone local had tried that track yet. I think next year I will try a few new tracks, may try this one.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:48 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,143 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Thanks for posting!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-29-2014, 06:36 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Going weekend after next. Thanks for the video- will be helpful!!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:42 AM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the opportunity to instruct for the entire opening double DE (Thursday 9/25/14-9/29/14) organized by the National Corvette Museum. It was an amazing experience. I met a lot of great folks, including some fellow r'listers.

The first video below is from the first session Monday morning in my '03 Boxster S. I think the top down view gives you a really good sense of the layout of the track. I opted not to edit the video. Turn 8 was especially slick yesterday morning, contributing the the moment on lap 3, and the understeer on the following lap. I'm running well worn NT01's.

It's a wonderful track I think we're all going to enjoy for many years to come. Kudos to the Corvette Museum Members and donors for making this a reality.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:28 PM
mkd944
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chin Motorsports will be there at least 3 times in 2015. Currently scheduled for the following dates:
NCM: Sat/Sun, March 28-29
NCM: Sat/Sun, May 30-31
NCM: Sat/Sun, Oct 10-11
Old 09-30-2014, 11:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 921 Likes on 561 Posts

Good looking track. Thanks for the videos.

I think this is the only time I've seen brake markers on the inside edge leading up to a corner.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:39 PM
mkd944
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS
Here is some video from a run on the second day. You can tell I am still learning the track while fighting a sticky gearbox. Enjoy.
Just watched your video Texas RS. Nice job! Nice track. You appeared to be picking up speed and confidence with each lap and your line preferable to some of the others who did not seem to be learning as quickly as you.

Originally Posted by provoste
Turn 8 was especially slick yesterday morning, contributing the the moment on lap 3, and the understeer on the following lap. I'm running well worn NT01's.
Also watched your video provoste. Nice job to you as well. Nice and smooth. Good save on your lap 3 moment. Looked like there was another mini-moment later in the video (around 9:40) in the right turn down the hill where you bounced off of the curb and unsettled the car even though I saw you doing it in previous laps.

Enjoyed both videos. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:31 AM
Adker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing. It really helped ID landmarks on the course so you know what is coming up.

Will be running the course this weekend, looks like rain on Friday but two good days after that. Hoping the new pavement is not greasy in the rain.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:39 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

I just finished a three day event at NCM Grand Full Course with the Bluegrass BMW club. Going in, I thought I wouldn't like that layout because it looked too busy. After the first session, I was definitely overwhelmed by it. After one more session it started it to come together pretty quickly though. And it turned out to be a great weekend on a really fun track. It has a lot of slow technical stuff, but it's got some really fast sections and they are challenging too. Lots of elevation changes to deal with. All in all, it's a good mix of features. I'll definitely be going back.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
I just finished a three day event at NCM Grand Full Course with the Bluegrass BMW club. Going in, I thought I wouldn't like that layout because it looked too busy. After the first session, I was definitely overwhelmed by it. After one more session it started it to come together pretty quickly though. And it turned out to be a great weekend on a really fun track. It has a lot of slow technical stuff, but it's got some really fast sections and they are challenging too. Lots of elevation changes to deal with. All in all, it's a good mix of features. I'll definitely be going back.
+1. Nice to see you again Paver. This track is awesome, has a little bit of everything.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:54 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mvez
+1. Nice to see you again Paver. This track is awesome, has a little bit of everything.
Good to see you as well. I hope things work out good for you going forward.

Quick Reply: New track open - NCM - National Corvette Museum