Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 151 Posts

Hot pic oh yeh cars hot too
Old 09-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is always fun to wee what sort of cars Hap is going to bring! He is a super nice guy!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:57 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Track was surprisingly good this weekend, likely due to unseasonably warm weather. Anytime I can get into the :37's on Nitto's I'll take it.

Short bus ate a rotor on Saturday (knew it was coming no biggie threw on the spares) and then started to get a noisy wheel bearing on Sun so I called it quits since she had to drive home under her own power.

Nice to see you Karen, sorry we didn't get that ride along figured out.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:33 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s

Unfortunately, I have to cancel my OVR DE since it is on my son's birthday. So, we can work on it for the spring - you ONLY lapped me twice

Originally Posted by The Beanster
I had a great time at MO this weekend.
Nice line
Old 09-30-2014, 12:13 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd give my right arm to break out of the 1:40's. I did manage a 1:42.36 on Yoko AD08R's and really worn pads. [/url]
Lowest hanging fruit I see is Turn 2. You're lifting way too early, and overslowing the car for a downshift to 3rd. Instead attack the corner in 4th gear, and save the downshift for the Keyhole braking zone when you're heavy on the brakes. Most cars can take turn 2 flat, but I realize you have a lot of power. Even so you shouldn't need any more than the slightest breathe off the throttle.

A little work here and you'll find most of the 2.36 seconds you're looking for.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:22 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Aww, man.... are you telling me that I was at Mid-O and missed meeting the world famous Karen England???

Weather was great and it was a great event with great people.

The best I could manage all weekend was 1:42.036 on used Hoosiers when I ran them for 2 sessions and 1:43.something on Nitto NT-01s. My best time when I was there last (2nd time) was 1:41 on NT-01s... go figure.

Thanks for the tip on Turn 2. I've been lifting there or even braking slightly. And I overbrake for Turns 1 and 11 (? Turn after Thunder Valley) Guess I need to grow a pair.....
Old 09-30-2014, 08:00 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Child
Lowest hanging fruit I see is Turn 2. You're lifting way too early, and overslowing the car for a downshift to 3rd. Instead attack the corner in 4th gear, and save the downshift for the Keyhole braking zone when you're heavy on the brakes. Most cars can take turn 2 flat, but I realize you have a lot of power. Even so you shouldn't need any more than the slightest breathe off the throttle.

A little work here and you'll find most of the 2.36 seconds you're looking for.
Spot on
Originally Posted by the_vetman
Aww, man.... are you telling me that I was at Mid-O and missed meeting the world famous Karen England???
I saw you cruising around
Old 09-30-2014, 10:34 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Track was surprisingly good this weekend, likely due to unseasonably warm weather. Anytime I can get into the :37's on Nitto's I'll take it.

Short bus ate a rotor on Saturday (knew it was coming no biggie threw on the spares) and then started to get a noisy wheel bearing on Sun so I called it quits since she had to drive home under her own power.

When are you going to start TT man? That's probably a 1:34 on A6's. Probably an easy win for another set of A's.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:52 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Karen England
Spot on

I saw you cruising around
What, we don't even get a pic of what the world famous Karen England looks like? And I don't mean avatar pics.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:29 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
What, we don't even get a pic of what the world famous Karen England looks like? And I don't mean avatar pics.
On the left...
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2014, 11:28 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Last edited by 911Königin; 10-03-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:33 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

BTW... I only know the pro drivers there by first name... Tommy and Brian. What were their last names?
It is Tommy Bryne - I'll try and find out Brian's last name.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:17 AM
John@DSM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian Till
Old 10-01-2014, 10:55 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Remember, this was on street tires... not even racing rubber. There was no grip at the entry to the bus stop or the exit turn from it. I tried braking later on entry and the car just pushed too hard. Even while braking into the turn, the car just got too unstable and couldn't get any bite. Then on exit, I tried the 4th gear option (Brian... pro instructor... said to do this) but there's not enough immediate power to get to keyhole. The boost comes on much faster in third. So I'm sacrificing a bit of speed at entry to the bus stop to maintain stability and to set the car up better for the exit from the bus stop. Then there is a moment of usable power at exit by dropping to 3rd. In fourth, the car bogs down.

I managed 147 laps over the course of the weekend and tried everything I could to brake later but each time, I found the car getting upset or I just would run out of traction and track.

BTW... I only know the pro drivers there by first name... Tommy and Brian. What were their last names?

Brian drove my car at 9/10's and his best of three laps was 1:44.09.
First: :42's on street tires is going pretty good. I agree there's a :40 in the car still on those same tires.

Are you fighting understeer elsewhere?

This is all theory...none of us can account for your cars handling / setup without being in there with you but I agree with Jim that technique change through 2-3 will net you much more time, allow you to roll the center and give you all the front end traction you could want in that situation. Later braking after T2 and holding the trail brake all the way until your (first) apex in 3 will plant the front end and get you pointed exactly where you need to be. It'll allow you enough front end traction to roll the center of T3 5+mph faster negating the need for much acceleration up into the keyhole.

Reviewing my data vs. yours in the video your average MPH through T3 is about 6 mph off my MPH there when I have PS2's on the car....about 8mph off when I have Nitto's.

An additional data point that should reflect front end grip is your car goes through Keyhole, Carousel and over the top of T8 within 1 mph of my car on Nitto's.

That thing goes like heck down the back straight!!! Nearly 150MPH is getting it into the brake zone!!!
Old 10-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Remember, this was on street tires... not even racing rubber. There was no grip at the entry to the bus stop or the exit turn from it. I tried braking later on entry and the car just pushed too hard. Even while braking into the turn, the car just got too unstable and couldn't get any bite.
I'm only going by what I see in this video, but these laps just look far too relaxed going through Turn 2 and Turn 3. I don’t hear any tire noise, and I don’t see any sliding going through Turn 3. It’s a FAST section of track, and there should be some drama there if you want to maximize your speed.

Then on exit, I tried the 4th gear option (Brian... pro instructor... said to do this) but there's not enough immediate power to get to keyhole. The boost comes on much faster in third. So I'm sacrificing a bit of speed at entry to the bus stop to maintain stability and to set the car up better for the exit from the bus stop. Then there is a moment of usable power at exit by dropping to 3rd. In fourth, the car bogs down.
So you’re sacrificing speed in the fast corner in order to maximize speed in the slower corner? That’s counterproductive for a fast lap time. In general, when forced to choose you always want to sacrifice the slow corner to maximize the fast corner. In this case you should take Turn 2 as fast as possible, and then do whatever it takes to survive Turn 3, braking late and hard on entry and sliding a bit on exit. Look at all the rubber on the track going through Turn 3, and exactly where its located. There’s a reason why its there.

I believe you should continue to try and make 4th gear work for you there. I understand you need to maintain boost, but even so in situations like this where you know there is extra speed to be found, its better to use the higher gear, and then go and find the speed that will make the higher gear work. From watching the video I’d be very surprised if the loss of boost in 4th gear is costing you more than overslowing the car with the downshift.

Brian drove my car at 9/10's and his best of three laps was 1:44.09.
It’s great that Brian Till was able to drive your car. That’s always a great way to speed up your learning curve. However, I can assure you that Brian wasn’t driving it at 9/10ths, even if he told you he was. No responsible pro wants to write you a check for your car, and they will always leave plenty on the table.

Quick Reply: F1 at Mid Ohio