Sponsored by:

Disable PSM on the track for 997

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 02:43 PM
trompazo
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Disable PSM on the track for 997

I have a 997.1 turbo which I take to the track and autocross, but also street drive mostly.

The PSM comes on under hard braking. I always leave it in sport mode on the street but on the track it's just too intrusive.

I found on the Cayman forums where you can unplug a connector under the console. I also recall years ago finding a comment that you can unplug a connector at the brake pedal but can't find that thread anyone.

Anyone know exactly what you have to disconnect on a 997.1 tt?
Old 09-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Sport mode is PASM, not PSM. That being said when I've tracked my 997.1 TT (not much), I put PASM in Sport mode and turn off PSM.
I like the crisper throttle response in sport mode for matching revs on downshifts and unless the track is bumpy I prefer the stiffer sport PASM suspension.

When I turn off PSM it stays off in my car even driving rally style for kicks.

I don't know your skill level but unless you're advanced turning off PSM in a turbo can be very bad.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:55 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I found PSM unreasonably intrusive in the cayman, when I would accidentally leave it on, stopping the car from accelerating at apex's. The PO installed a switch that kept it off--an idiot message complained of PSM failure when shut--which really transformed the car. I would think at AX , PSM would be crippling.
Your experience may vary......
Old 09-28-2014, 12:44 AM
trompazo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Coochas
Sport mode is PASM, not PSM. That being said when I've tracked my 997.1 TT (not much), I put PASM in Sport mode and turn off PSM.
I like the crisper throttle response in sport mode for matching revs on downshifts and unless the track is bumpy I prefer the stiffer sport PASM suspension.

When I turn off PSM it stays off in my car even driving rally style for kicks.

I don't know your skill level but unless you're advanced turning off PSM in a turbo can be very bad.
No, Sport mode is not just PASM. Sport mode has less intrusive PSM settings, as well as PASM stiffness and more boost. My car has revalved KW V3 coilovers with 700 lb/in front and 950/in pound so PASM is irrelevant. Sport mode is fine on the street.

On the track and autocross course PSM comes on, even if turned off, under hard braking, even on Hoosier A6s and no wheel lockup and then is deal killer.

I race a 625whp Corvette Z06 and a 400whp Lotus Exige in SCCA SSM class autocross and NASA Time Attack. The Porsche is not meant to be a primary track or autocross car but I do like to take it out when the other cars are down. However the car can't be competitive at all with PSM coming on course, it becomes useless. I know there is a way to disable it, just need to figure out which wires to put a switch on. I beleive it's an brake input wire that still allows ABS to work while PSM is disabled. I think a steering wheel position sensor may also disable PSM.

In the dry, even with 700whp, at 997tt is pretty easy to drive compared to any RWD car, but I still like to use it on the street. But on the track it slows the car down way too much and kills the brake pads. The 997.1 PSM is pretty ancient, and not even close to something like a 458 Italia in Race Mode, which is still allows a decent amount of slip angles before intervening.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:55 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Do you have a 6sp or pdk?
Old 09-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by trompazo
No, Sport mode is not just PASM. Sport mode has less intrusive PSM settings, as well as PASM stiffness and more boost. My car has revalved KW V3 coilovers with 700 lb/in front and 950/in pound so PASM is irrelevant. Sport mode is fine on the street.

On the track and autocross course PSM comes on, even if turned off, under hard braking, even on Hoosier A6s and no wheel lockup and then is deal killer.

I race a 625whp Corvette Z06 and a 400whp Lotus Exige in SCCA SSM class autocross and NASA Time Attack. The Porsche is not meant to be a primary track or autocross car but I do like to take it out when the other cars are down. However the car can't be competitive at all with PSM coming on course, it becomes useless. I know there is a way to disable it, just need to figure out which wires to put a switch on. I beleive it's an brake input wire that still allows ABS to work while PSM is disabled. I think a steering wheel position sensor may also disable PSM.

In the dry, even with 700whp, at 997tt is pretty easy to drive compared to any RWD car, but I still like to use it on the street. But on the track it slows the car down way too much and kills the brake pads. The 997.1 PSM is pretty ancient, and not even close to something like a 458 Italia in Race Mode, which is still allows a decent amount of slip angles before intervening.
Dunno what to tell you. I've driven my TT on R6 with PSM off and it has never come back on. Perhaps the HP and stiffness of your car is what's throwing it over the edge. Have you tried posting in the 997TT section AND the same section on 6Speed. The TT on 6Speed tend to be more power-modded than most cars here.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:40 AM
trompazo
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikew968
Do you have a 6sp or pdk?
It's a 6 speed. PDK didn't come out until 997.2.

997.1s had tiptronics, which i doubt were good on any track.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:21 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I absolutely fried my PZero Rossos at COTA over the weekend with the suspension in Sport and PSM off on my 997... For me, it inspired much more confidence off than on. When it was on, I never really knew when it was going to intrude, whereas slides were predictable with PSM off.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:28 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

To answer the original question, disconnect the Yaw sensor (same as you read about the Cayman). To do so, remove side trim piece on the center console. The sensor is found behind the climate control. You can unhook without removing it. Just do a Google search on 997 yaw sensor to see what it looks like. When starting car up you will get a PSM failure indicator. I have it disconnected in my 997.1 race car.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:30 AM
trompazo
Advanced

Originally Posted by rmag
To answer the original question, disconnect the Yaw sensor (same as you read about the Cayman). To do so, remove side trim piece on the center console. The sensor is found behind the climate control. You can unhook without removing it. Just do a Google search on 997 yaw sensor to see what it looks like. When starting car up you will get a PSM failure indicator. I have it disconnected in my 997.1 race car.
Great, thanks.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:02 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by trompazo
The PSM comes on under hard braking.
Yes, if you've manually shut it off, it does reactivate under ABS braking but should remain off after that. Are you sure you're not just feeling the ABS working?
Old 10-08-2014, 02:09 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Yes, if you've manually shut it off, it does reactivate under ABS braking but should remain off after that. Are you sure you're not just feeling the ABS working?
If you disconnect the yaw rate sensor the stability control portion of PSM will be failed. ABS is still available though but in a reduced state. It will have some control when the car is turning but only if you're still on the brake pedal.

Quick Reply: Disable PSM on the track for 997