Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

luring your wife into track driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Problem is she will quickly find out Hoosiers are not really $25. each and Bob Woodman is not an investment banker. Those little white lies come home... "

That's a giant crackup. Very funny. Actually my wife is attending her first DE tomorrow morning at GIR. She and the A4 avant will be getting their feet wet, so to speak. I hope she enjoys it.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:42 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Careful what you wish for!
My wife always stayed away from my open road race events until "the girls" formed a team called "T&A." Dear wife Vicki mentioned over dinner she would like to "borrow" one of my cars and run a road race event. Real nice dear-sure go do it. Drive the M5 and enjoy! Well guess what Ruf Turbo she plays with? HPDE events for a little training, some private instruction and she has entered a September road race event with a target average speed of 130 mph! I get to drive the M5! Her Surburban has not been driven in three months. I liked it better when she didn't play with my toys!

R
Old 08-15-2003, 08:49 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Randy
You poor guys have got it all wrong. What you need is a wife like mine that makes more money than I do, and owns and drives her own race car. She is well aware what good parts cost, and how racing uses this stuff up. The best part is when she kicks your *** on the track.

You know you're in deep when you get holiday cards from The Racer's group, B & B, Champion, etc...and it's kind of funny that I find myself asking her "do we have to watch this again?!?!" when she tunes in to a race we've already seen on Speed two or three times before.
Does your wife have a sister who is single and in the same biz?

Old 08-15-2003, 10:35 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Bill, I have to say that this is the funiest/best thread that I have read on Rennlist over the year!!

944turbo
Old 08-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Well, here's the post DE update. My wife was fortunate to be paired with quite likely the best instructor at the event. She absolutely loved it (she was somewhat reluctant to go in the first place) and learned at a remarkable rate (the instructor's view) and by the end of the 2nd day was visibly carrying much more speed through the infield (the twisties). She already wants more brakes and less body roll. She also wouldn't mind a little more torque so those "Porsches" don't chase her down on the oval. I'm on it, believe me.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:04 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

Be certain that she gets a patient instructor who lets her develop at her own pace!! That, more than anything else, convinced my wife to see the joy in flinging Mrs. P around (she describes this differently of course). She stated that being pushed beyond where she felt comfortable really was a turn-off- for her and a lot of other females.

Fortunately there are a lot of good ones to choose from in Potomac.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:45 PM
DAR951
Pro

Originally posted by George from MD
Fortunately there are a lot of good ones to choose from in Potomac.
And here's one of them riding with my wife at an HPDC (yes, we need a second P-car)
Old 08-19-2003, 02:54 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

While having dinner last night my wife and I were discussing her upcoming track debut. I was shocked by her question:

"....so, how many DE days do I need before I can start racing?"
Old 08-19-2003, 04:00 PM
George from MD
Drifting

And just how did you answer that one????
Old 08-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

With your own car the Club says 12 DE days. Driving my car no less than 50 days at 8 tracks. I could race it in GT2 and she could ballast up to D stock and we paint the brakes. (just kidding)

I predict she will do this one event, enjoy it but fade back into doing her own thing. If she elects to get active with DE's I have a serious problem.

I can't race 12-14 times a year and add DE's to the schedule. She will have to get her own car and drive it to the events.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:30 PM
George from MD
Drifting

I took my wife to one event about four or five years ago. She tried it and hated it (it was raining all weekend). On that basis I sold the then current 944 and bought a 993 intending to give up DE's for the most part.

I agreed to take it to the track only "once or twice per year" and convinced her to give it another try. She got a great instructor (who I won't mention here), fell in love with the 993 and the last few years have seen us do six to eight DE's per year with the same 993. No racing yet but I'm hopeful calender, budget and ability will allow some day.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:45 PM
Patricia
Racer

Originally posted by George from MD
Be certain that she gets a patient instructor who lets her develop at her own pace!! That, more than anything else, convinced my wife to see the joy in flinging Mrs. P around (she describes this differently of course). She stated that being pushed beyond where she felt comfortable really was a turn-off- for her and a lot of other females.
A very wise man! I was lucky to get a good instructor the first time out, and to be, well, uh, assertive enough to tell my instructors how I feel. I have told more than one instructor to shut up because they were making me nervous. Most of the women I know are not interested in being the fastest car out there on their first day, just in getting around the track safely and learning something. Guess it must be the lack of testosterone!

Pat
Old 08-19-2003, 07:45 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Pat

"Guess it must be the lack of testosterone!"

I got my wife a tee-shirt once. It said:

"I'm out of estrogen, and I've got a gun."

It was her favorite t-shirt for a long time.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:38 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell her Manolo makes driving shoes....
Old 08-20-2003, 02:31 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DAR951,

Is that a WRX with the aftermarket (rally) headlight set? Its not an STI, correct? Looks nice.

Sam

Quick Reply: luring your wife into track driving