Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Temp Data

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016 | 02:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have tire temp info in i2Pro, not close to it this week. Will dig in next week and forward if I find it.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-23-2016 | 02:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you are considering the Texense, you should talk to Pierre. He may be able to help you out with some data. You might talk to MoTeC directly or through MilSpecWiring.com. They sell the sensors and may be able to provide some data so you know what you are getting.

In case you haven't seen the prices on everything, here is the milspec page https://milspecwiring.com/store/inde...path=47_313_80
Old 11-23-2016 | 06:47 PM
dasing
Advanced

If you don't want to go through the effort of Matlab, simple column graphs can be useful. Trackvision generated these with a bit of programming.

Old 11-24-2016 | 05:08 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom W
Peter: You give me too much credit. I'm not interested in MatLab and am trying to simplify the workflow. A simple workflow can be done often and without investing too much time. I hate spending hours trying to render a movie of a race.

Anyone have some data to share from Izze or Texense sensors in i2Pro?
Old 11-24-2016 | 09:11 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Damn, I wish I had budget for this now...
Old 11-24-2016 | 09:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Sweet, Rickard 993 Turbo!
Old 11-24-2016 | 11:20 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dasing
If you don't want to go through the effort of Matlab, simple column graphs can be useful. Trackvision generated these with a bit of programming.

Nice. I like this setup. Quick and easy to see and doesn't take a ton of time to put together.

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
Very nice. Can you display the same in vs distance instead of time?
Old 11-24-2016 | 11:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Since there's no lap comparison, the time axis is interesting.

Watching the build up and decay of each corner, relative to one another, is fascinating.

Thanks for posting!
Old 11-24-2016 | 11:38 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

What's a good handheld tire temp gauge for the pits?
Old 11-24-2016 | 11:57 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hf1
What's a good handheld tire temp gauge for the pits?
I really depends on what you have available for help and your style. I personally like the large memory units from Longacre or Intercomp that will record 3 temps each tire and hold multiple sessions. But, they take a little training to use and if you are relying on volunteer help, it might be too much. These units are http://www.intercompracing.com/memor...-135-l-en.html or http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...Tire+Pyrometer This one looks good, but it hasn't been released yet http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...Tire+Pyrometer

If you are having "unskilled" help, the standard single temp probe unit like http://www.intercompracing.com/delux...-136-l-en.html or http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...nomy+Pyrometer

I have and like the combined pressure and temp gauge http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...alve+0-150+psi They make one without the temp compensation as well.

Finally, if you don't get a memory unit, one of the best tricks is to put a piece of gaffer or racers tape above each tire. Then, when you come in and take pressures and temps, write them on the tape with a sharpie. That way no need to remember them or forget the clipboard, etc. You can also put the starting pressures so you have a good log that can be copied to your notebook.

As for notebooks, there are a couple of good apps in development that will record all your tire related information (pre and post session), but they are not ready yet. Some of them will also offer wireless recording, so no data input!
Old 11-24-2016 | 12:04 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Thx Matt. For the PM too!
Old 11-24-2016 | 03:45 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt: To switch between time and distance for the x-axis is a simple button click in i2Pro.
Old 11-24-2016 | 05:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hahaha! TomW, this would solve some critical questions for you, for sure.

That said, about 6/10 of 1% of my club level and DE drivers equip their cars with sensors and actively utilize this info, and about 30-35% of the entry level pro teams... About 75% of the top level pro teams use this capability...

While I think the Izze sensors will make this more accessible for DE and Club Racing drivers, there are still many, MANY more areas to mine for useful information to improve performance.

I put IR temp and TPMS information in the same category for many as simulation testing (using Simulink, OptimumG or Bosch simulation software).

To combine all three (shock pots, IR temps for tires and brakes as well as TPMS), I would equate that level of commitment and work to (relatively) inexpensive WindShear wind tunnel time and/or 7-post or 8-post shaker rig time.

It's all relative. Interacting with hundreds and now, probably thousands of users of systems capable of this, so few have the time, inclination or resources to embark on a full-blown engineering program.

It's all well and good to glom onto this level of information gathering and analysis, certainly Matt and I have an affinity for that, but the REAL issue is that once you HAVE this information, THEN WHAT are you going to DO with it?
Old 11-24-2016 | 05:56 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I plan to use a basic tire temp gauge to make sure that alignment and tire pressure is not too much out of whack. Just bought a $79 (shipped) Longacre one from ebay.
Old 11-25-2016 | 04:50 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

When we Are at IT.

I have tire temp
shock pots

but whats the strain cell on the shocks for. ?

Quick Reply: Tire Temp Data