Sponsored by:

Lap round VIR - 2:06.36

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:04 PM
rs4_saloon
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lap round VIR - 2:06.36

First time at VIR in the GT3, 3rd time at VIR overall (previous times in an RS4 and e36 M3)

The best time i was able to get to was 2:06.36 but my virtual best (5 splits) was a 2:03.67.

Wasn't able to get a full clean lap but oh well. Car setup felt great.

997.2 gt3
guards diff
yoko a005 slicks with 6 HC
PFC 11 pads
850/1100 springs

Entry into the esses was offline due to a pass prior. Got slowed out of oaktree due to a pass. Feed back welcome

Last edited by rs4_saloon; 11-06-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:50 PM
lmcgrew79
Track Day

Nice lap, looks like turns 1-6 that there is a little time on the table, entering the esses even with the late pass i try to hang parallel track left on the first turn in, then turn up into the esses and you can pretty much drive straight thru them. You dont wanna commit early and be pointing at the villas over the first hump.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by lmcgrew79
Nice lap, entering the esses even with the late pass i try to hang parallel track left on the first turn in, then turn up into the esses and you can pretty much drive straight thru them. You dont wanna commit early and be pointing at the villas over the first hump.
Good advice...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice line, and that's an excellent time. Next time maybe try going into the roller coaster more in the middle of the track. Seems to set up the hog pen better. Two different instructors showed me that line, both before and after repaving.

Going wide in the NASCAR bend with the repave seems to be a matter of personal preference. For me it seems to upset the car too much to go across the teeth there. Of course, your suspension is a wee bit better than mine. Among other things...
Old 09-01-2014, 11:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Pretty good. Lots of opportunities for improvement, but you knew that seeing the wide differential from your best lap to your eclectic (TBL) lap, right? <grin>

You want to make a slightly earlier, more decisive turn into T2 (the kink), I like your entry into T3, but your hands are slow and you don't turn enough, which is why your constant arc and radius causes you to run over the gators at the exit (not the quicker way, nor the best geometry. Your speed drops AFTER apex), you're crabbing in too much at T4, not decisive nor quick enough steering input into T5 (the right, I think the new corner number is T4A), flat esses are good.

You are crabbing in early on the left before the Climbing Esses and are a little too much of a passenger after the climb begins, too many corrections are required because the initial rhythm isn't on.

GOOD power as the road climbs after the old T8 into T9 (the last right up the Climbing Esses).

vMin is too low for T10, I see multiple steering inputs (a little at first, then MORE, seen in other turns. Get it ALL in!), crabbing in (meandering, really) into T11 which puts you outside too soon before Oak Tree (T12), not a decisive enough turn in for Oak Tree.

Like your braking at the end of the back straight, bravo! Entry line into T14 (Roller Coaster) is good, but delay it a little and you won't need that second steering input to the right. T15 is good.

Entry into T16 is good, but don't think you accelerate fully quite long enough nor do you brake quite hard enough against the left curb, which causes you to lose speed (coast) into the righthand T17 (Hog Pen) and delays throttle input (which is why the speed drops after the apex). Good exit, good throttle commitment, but watch those curbs.

Glad you enjoyed it and hope you can come back soon!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:53 AM
jenk12m
Banned

All the info you need right there^^^
Old 09-02-2014, 05:16 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

Ditto... Mr. Krause, the master!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:51 AM
rs4_saloon
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for your feedback.

Peter, I'll be out there again in Nov with Audi Club (Nov 8/9). Any chance you're in town those days? If so, i'd love to hookup for some coaching sessions.

Also, what does crabbing mean?

My friend ran a 2:08.2 in his E36 M3 race car and would also love to get some feedback from the RL guys.

thx again

Old 09-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rs4_saloon

Also, what does crabbing mean?
I think he means you're inching closer to the corner prior to turn in but I will defer to the pro coach.

And I see what he means with your steering being slow or incomplete. I know you've been working on marrying your footwork and hands to initiate the turn in, with focus on balance, and it looks like you've got. Now work on keeping your hands rolling progressively with an eye on the exit as early as possible. Zach's steering, for example, looks to be more progressive. Again....I will defer to the pros.

But what's up with that extended pinky finger?
Old 09-02-2014, 11:19 AM
rs4_saloon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bman
I think he means you're inching closer to the corner prior to turn in but I will defer to the pro coach.

And I see what he means with your steering being slow or incomplete. I know you've been working on marrying your footwork and hands to initiate the turn in, with focus on balance, and it looks like you've got. Now work on keeping your hands rolling progressively with an eye on the exit as early as possible. Zach's steering, for example, looks to be more progressive. Again....I will defer to the pros.

Thx Brian. Ill be at Summit Main in Oct so T3,T9 & T10 are good spots for that progressive rolling you're talking about.

haha...That extended pinky finger is magic. Keeps you from gripping the wheel to tight and helps me relax. I still don't know how she does that going up the esses though.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:42 PM
lmcgrew79
Track Day

Here are a few pretty good open laps i got a few months ago. Best lap starts at 4:16 lap 3. Procoach/Peters word is the gospel!

Old 09-02-2014, 01:59 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First time at VIR in the GT3, 3rd time at VIR overall (previous times in an RS4 and e36 M3)

The best time i was able to get to was 2:06.36 but my virtual best (5 splits) was a 2:03.67.
Nice to see someone hustling a GT3. A couple more events and you'll shave off those last few seconds. Peter KNOWS VIR. Follow his instructions and you will find fast laps.

Here's the view from behind Luke's black viper. Video starts about 1/2 lap after he passed me in Oak Tree.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:12 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 112 Posts

Good fun.

Looking forward to driving the new surface, and seeing how much time is picked up.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:12 AM
rs4_saloon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Pretty good. Lots of opportunities for improvement, but you knew that seeing the wide differential from your best lap to your eclectic (TBL) lap, right? <grin>

You want to make a slightly earlier, more decisive turn into T2 (the kink), I like your entry into T3, but your hands are slow and you don't turn enough, which is why your constant arc and radius causes you to run over the gators at the exit (not the quicker way, nor the best geometry. Your speed drops AFTER apex), you're crabbing in too much at T4, not decisive nor quick enough steering input into T5 (the right, I think the new corner number is T4A), flat esses are good.

You are crabbing in early on the left before the Climbing Esses and are a little too much of a passenger after the climb begins, too many corrections are required because the initial rhythm isn't on.

GOOD power as the road climbs after the old T8 into T9 (the last right up the Climbing Esses).

vMin is too low for T10, I see multiple steering inputs (a little at first, then MORE, seen in other turns. Get it ALL in!), crabbing in (meandering, really) into T11 which puts you outside too soon before Oak Tree (T12), not a decisive enough turn in for Oak Tree.

Like your braking at the end of the back straight, bravo! Entry line into T14 (Roller Coaster) is good, but delay it a little and you won't need that second steering input to the right. T15 is good.

Entry into T16 is good, but don't think you accelerate fully quite long enough nor do you brake quite hard enough against the left curb, which causes you to lose speed (coast) into the righthand T17 (Hog Pen) and delays throttle input (which is why the speed drops after the apex). Good exit, good throttle commitment, but watch those curbs.

Glad you enjoyed it and hope you can come back soon!
Originally Posted by Bman

Peter/Brian, thx again for your tips around VIR. I set my personal best there yesterday by running a 2:02.7, which is 3.6 seconds faster than my previous time. Thx again. It was also very nice to meet you yesterday Peter.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:16 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Peter/Brian, thx again for your tips around VIR.

I set my personal best there yesterday by running a 2:02.7

It was also very nice to meet you yesterday Peter.
Rockin' car. Rockin' time. Always thank your tires!

Great driving and a pleasure to meet you!

Hope to see you again!

Quick Reply: Lap round VIR - 2:06.36