Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time instructing, what a hoot!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:17 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Now in my 2nd year of instructing, I had no idea how satisfying it was going to be.
I used to wonder why instructors would just show up without their car and just instruct.
Now I totally get it.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:12 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
+1 Checkout rides always make me a little apprehensive. An unknown student with something to prove always has the potential for problems.
From a students perspective (as I am not an instructor) checkout rides are always a little weird for me. You can't help but drive a little different (the Observer Effect). I don't get nervous but I think I start thinking about how the instructor wants me to drive rather than how I actually drive.

Does the instructor realize I have a turbo so I am back on the gas a little before apex to account for the lag? Does the instructor realize I always get a very slight drift going into no name straight at LRP? Sometime I almost feel like I need to explain everything I am doing so they know I did it "on purpose".

All that being said, I've had some really good instructors lately who make me forget they are in the car for a few laps and tell me to "do my thing". Students feed off of their instructors energy so if you are calm, believe me, it has a big influence on the student.

The instructors at CVR are all pretty much top notch - I haven't had anything less than a good experience. I did have a bad experience in another region where the instructor (who shall remain nameless and who was not in my car) laid into me because I spun in heavy rain doing about 35 mph. I got on the gas a little too soon out of a turn, slow spin, and stayed on track. Yup, a stupid mistake but I felt stupid enough without the dress down when I pulled in for the obligatory check after a spin.

Its a tough job.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:09 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

As a student who has access to a track whenever I have time and wheels -- what I want from an instructed weekend is critique and homework.

It can be hard to muster up the time and $$ for a HPDE, when it is very convenient (and paid for via monthly dues) just to goto the track and do a few hours of lapping and head home.

The few times a year (if that) I can get to an HPDE -- I'm there with my listening cap on
and I'm looking for instruction and not cheerleading. Bust my chops, I'm a big boy, I can take
it as long as its with an eye towards improvement.

My fondest memory was when I was being followed while being instructed by another instructor at a PCA HPDE.
He pulled me aside after that session and asked me why I was running the lines I was. I was quick,
but inconsistent and subsequently sloppy. I asked him to show me what he meant/wanted.
We went out the next session in his car -- I understood what we was saying -- then I told
him I wanted him the next time he was available. He broke me down pretty good and built
me back up. Afterwards - the track seemed to slow down and driving became easier (but still not easy :-)

I don't see him very often -- but we have good discussions off track every time cross we paths.
Had a particularly good bench driving session during a PCA Club Race at COTA.
He can still drive circles around me -- but it was fun having a peer discussion about analyzing various aspects of the track
-- and because of his lessons -- we could verbalize and mentally visualize in the same "language".

cheers,

Mike
Old 09-02-2014, 08:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
As a student who has access to a track whenever I have time and wheels -- what I want from an instructed weekend is critique and homework.

It can be hard to muster up the time and $$ for a HPDE, when it is very convenient (and paid for via monthly dues) just to goto the track and do a few hours of lapping and head home.

The few times a year (if that) I can get to an HPDE -- I'm there with my listening cap on
and I'm looking for instruction and not cheerleading. Bust my chops, I'm a big boy, I can take
it as long as its with an eye towards improvement.

My fondest memory was when I was being followed while being instructed by another instructor at a PCA HPDE.
He pulled me aside after that session and asked me why I was running the lines I was. I was quick,
but inconsistent and subsequently sloppy. I asked him to show me what he meant/wanted.
We went out the next session in his car -- I understood what we was saying -- then I told
him I wanted him the next time he was available. He broke me down pretty good and built
me back up. Afterwards - the track seemed to slow down and driving became easier (but still not easy :-)

I don't see him very often -- but we have good discussions off track every time cross we paths.
Had a particularly good bench driving session during a PCA Club Race at COTA.
He can still drive circles around me -- but it was fun having a peer discussion about analyzing various aspects of the track
-- and because of his lessons -- we could verbalize and mentally visualize in the same "language".

cheers,

Mike
Awesome post! Great experience. How it's SUPPOSED to work!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-26-2016, 03:43 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

Yeah I know I'm resurrecting an old thread. This needs to be said so relax.

Big thanks to all of you who instruct. As said above, I'm there to learn, not to show the instructor how great I am. I want to learn how to drive more smoothly, so Imput is welcome.
I did a DE a few weeks ago at Homestead and lucked out with a great instructor. We did a few sessions in my car, and then he took me around in his Scion to show me what he was describing. My next session showed imorovement, as I gained the confidence to carry more speed, not lift as soon and have confidence in my big brakes.
A great instructor is a wonderful thing.

Again, thank you to all who share your knowledge with us.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:44 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Thank you for resurrecting the thread!

I have often asked myself why any would risk instructing while at the same time being infinitely grateful to all the coaches and instructors I have had so far who have all been unbelievably great.

My favorite though was the "crippled old man" (he knows the joke . ) who asked me what I wanted and then reminded me it was ultimately about "having fun"!

He's the one who moved me up a group after run 1 and got me chasing down the GT3 which was the fastest yellow! A good instructor is better than . . . well you know
Old 06-29-2016, 01:24 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great story Mike! Thx for the share.

I began instructing in April 2016, almost exactly 24 months after my *first* HPDE. Two students on a track I'd never driven before.

Oh...actually, it was a bi-directional track that was new to me. Clockwise on day 1 and counter on day 2.

Stud 1 was "a natural" after years of AX and street motorbike driving.
Stud 2 was "a potential poser"...lots of 5K and one 1/2 marathon stickers on the car. Both deserve kudos for accepting feedback very well.
I think it helped that it was their first HPDE.

I learned so much!

Last edited by Dr911; 06-29-2016 at 03:52 PM. Reason: MYB

Quick Reply: First time instructing, what a hoot!!