Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better without the bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 01:42 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

It's got me wondering if removing the bumper, and then bolting on a vertical piece with some canard like pieces might help. A little like the new RSR.

Originally Posted by Pete
Jack, another couple of thoughts

1. Have you had a pro drive your car at WS in Dec. or Jan to see if the time is there to be had? Perhaps you've gotten all you can out of this package without going the hoosier route.

2. Conversely if a pro hasn't driven your car, and I will step gently as we proceed, could it be that, as all great drivers do, we lose a couple tenths here and there as we age and the old adage of "The older I get, the faster I was" and that elusive 1 second may never be had.
I have not had a pro drive my car, yet. I'd be thrilled if one would. I'm faster than everybody in my comparable POC class, although that's not fully an apples-to-apples comparison, since my car hasn't been scrutinized for the GT4 rules. But I'm definitely up there with those cars and drivers.

For context, I've been driving the same track on a very regular basis for 14 years now. I've been instructing there for eight years. I think there is definitely room for driver improvement -- when isn't there? -- but this isn't a post from a novice who's still getting his head around the whole project of going fast on a track. This video compares my segment time for the technical half of Willow Springs to the record-setting production car lap by Randy Pobst in a new 918. Again, it's not apples-to-apples. But I'm down on power, tires and technology in a pretty significant way -- but still matching his time.

And with regard to #2, I doubt age is a factor just yet. But there's no doubt that I'm missing something, somewhere on the track -- more input from other drivers could only help me. I keep getting faster in the same car, although the rate of improvement is slowing with time. The winter before last I got down to a low 1:27. Last winter I got my high 1:26. I doubt there is much below a 1:25-- most cars with that lap time have significantly more power than my 272 crank hp.

I'd just like to get the 1:25 before age and caution overtake me and start costing me those tenths.

Quick Reply: Better without the bumper?