The One and Only Dave Coleman

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 02:30 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The One and Only Dave Coleman

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting Dave Coleman from Summit Point WV, either in the paddock or on the race track this article may give you a very small look into what kind of person Dave is. If after reading the article you have a story about Dave post it here for all to read. I have so many that it would take a couple days to repeat the ones that can be repeated in public. From the many days over the years we spent at tracks from Lime Rock to Sebring to TWS to Road America. They are some of my best memories from all the years being around the tracks. Here's the link.
http://jalopnik.com/an-angel-in-a-mo...-of-1613007857

Bill
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Last edited by OGRacing; 08-01-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Add my name
Old 08-01-2014, 02:45 PM
captdownshift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was curious if the corner worker referenced happened to be Stan Damren as well. I believe he works paddock/pit out more these days but exchange sounded like his actions and words
Old 08-01-2014, 04:00 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Great story. Thanks for posting. :-)
Old 08-01-2014, 04:51 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Quite a guy - he bailed me out years ago when I broke a front suspension piece on the 1984 911. He has something like 14 trailers full of parts. Got me back on track when I thought I was going to have to head on home.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:57 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone who has ever broken down at Summit has a DC story.

My favorite is his old race car. A 2.0L 911 that looked like it was put together with drywall compound, and painted with rattle cans, but he know every trick in the book, and would kick everybody's butt in it.

He is a brilliant intuitive Engineer/Mechanic, an accomplished driver, and a world-class character. One of a kind.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

There is only one Dave Coleman. A super nice man, one hell of a race car driver, and quite a character.

Bill, you need to tell the story of the transmission rebuild!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Literally fields of semi -exotic parts cars. A fully equipped machine shop. A white 1954 Sudebaker Commander. The Model T boat tail racer. The long time lap record holder at Summit Point (in class if not overall.) helping everybody. Dave Coleman is one of a kind.

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2014, 11:30 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

The man is a legend. He was a champion Porsche racer and owned a few famous Bruce Jennings Porsches among a few hundred other cars. He was a friend of My dad's for years until he passed away. There is only one Dave Coleman.
Attached Images   
Old 08-04-2014, 03:32 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Dave in a Suit

Originally Posted by good hands
The man is a legend. He was a champion Porsche racer and owned a few famous Bruce Jennings Porsches among a few hundred other cars. He was a friend of My dad's for years until he passed away. There is only one Dave Coleman.
This is from the California Mille in 2006.
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A couple of his well know cars:
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

One more:
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 06:18 PM
BHunt 72T
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Hideous tie aside, D.C. is looking pretty dapper. Great pic Billy.

My favorite Dave story took place in the early 90's, I was 12 or 13. My dad and I were at Dave's shop having some work done on the car and lunchtime came around. Dave asked if I wanted to ride with him to go pick up some sandwich's while Billy and dad would hang back. I said sure and we hopped-in a well set-up older gray 911. It was a customer’s car that I was familiar with; and Dave had just rebuilt the motor for her. I latched my seat-belt (he didn't bother with his) and we slowly headed down the driveway bumping along with the dips/ruts of the gravel; pretty rough ¼ mile because of the stiff suspension.

We made a left onto SP Road and he starts hammering through the gears. Hard. All the while he’s talking about the importance of the “break-in period” and that he needs to make sure “they put it together right.” We come up to the first left-hander which is a bend that 99% of people are braking for and he isn't lifting, he’s not even thinking of lifting, tires are cold, etc… he turns the car in sharply, back-end rotates quickly, he catches it beautifully and we blast out the other side. Dave has been talking the whole time and asks if I felt the car slide, I nod my head; “Brooks, the key to being a good road racer is being able to carry speed into the corner. The fast guys get on the gas early coming out of a corner but the really fast guys gain time getting into the corner and are also fast coming out.”

I continue to nod, my 12 year old brain only vaguely understanding what he’s talking about but mostly I’m just holding on tight to the cage and loving the ride. Railroad tracks are to our right; he brakes hard & late, rowing down through the gears, matching rev’s, slides it into 2nd and is hammer down up and over the railroad tracks… car gets really light (the two front tires were off the ground for sure) but there’s no lifting as we blast along Leetown Rd continuing our spirited “break-in” ride for sandwiches.

Looking back there were many laws broken but I’ll never forget how much fun I had and how confident he was while driving. Not only was he a very talented driver, and knew those roads better than anyone, but he had to be buddies with the local Barney Fife’s, right?

The Jalopnik write-up is a good example of what kind of guy he is. Too bad he doesn't do as much driving these days… Bill maybe you can dust off the #75 and those two can have a reunion?

Brooks
Old 08-04-2014, 06:33 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BHunt 72T
Hideous tie aside, D.C. is looking pretty dapper. Great pic Billy.

My favorite Dave story took place in the early 90's, I was 12 or 13. My dad and I were at Dave's shop having some work done on the car and lunchtime came around. Dave asked if I wanted to ride with him to go pick up some sandwich's while Billy and dad would hang back. I said sure and we hopped-in a well set-up older gray 911. It was a customer’s car that I was familiar with; and Dave had just rebuilt the motor for her. I latched my seat-belt (he didn't bother with his) and we slowly headed down the driveway bumping along with the dips/ruts of the gravel; pretty rough ¼ mile because of the stiff suspension.

We made a left onto SP Road and he starts hammering through the gears. Hard. All the while he’s talking about the importance of the “break-in period” and that he needs to make sure “they put it together right.” We come up to the first left-hander which is a bend that 99% of people are braking for and he isn't lifting, he’s not even thinking of lifting, tires are cold, etc… he turns the car in sharply, back-end rotates quickly, he catches it beautifully and we blast out the other side. Dave has been talking the whole time and asks if I felt the car slide, I nod my head; “Brooks, the key to being a good road racer is being able to carry speed into the corner. The fast guys get on the gas early coming out of a corner but the really fast guys gain time getting into the corner and are also fast coming out.”

I continue to nod, my 12 year old brain only vaguely understanding what he’s talking about but mostly I’m just holding on tight to the cage and loving the ride. Railroad tracks are to our right; he brakes hard & late, rowing down through the gears, matching rev’s, slides it into 2nd and is hammer down up and over the railroad tracks… car gets really light (the two front tires were off the ground for sure) but there’s no lifting as we blast along Leetown Rd continuing our spirited “break-in” ride for sandwiches.

Looking back there were many laws broken but I’ll never forget how much fun I had and how confident he was while driving. Not only was he a very talented driver, and knew those roads better than anyone, but he had to be buddies with the local Barney Fife’s, right?

The Jalopnik write-up is a good example of what kind of guy he is. Too bad he doesn't do as much driving these days… Bill maybe you can dust off the #75 and those two can have a reunion?

Brooks
How many customers and others got the ride for food treatment? A lot. The night time version is a little slower. But then he would turn the lights off while blasting down the road from Charlestown back to the shop. You know how dark it is around Summit Point when there aren't any lights anywhere? I knew that he had the roads memorized but that was a ride to remember.

And we are discussing what to do with #75.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:46 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

Dave sure is a class act.I am another lost soul who broke down at a pac club race at Summit point .Dave was kind enough to go to his shop and fabricate a brake part I needed.I was very impressed by his racing history as I looked around his shop at all his trophies and Championships.He would mort take any money.I told him I would send him steaks for his trouble .I sent them and he never got them.When I bumped in to the next season I asked how the steaks were and he ridiculed me stating He never got them and I was full of ****! I was so bummed that when I got home I re sent the prime aged Porter house Steaks followed up by a phone call top be sure he got them! He did stated they were awesome .Anyway we have been friendly since.A truly good man and a better guy! Dave thanks again! I should mention he is a kick *** driver too !
My best regards,Ron Savenor
Old 08-05-2014, 12:02 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

#75 needs to return to the track! Next time I see him, I am asking for the night ride, but will take the "lunch" ride.

Quick Reply: The One and Only Dave Coleman