Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Properly Install Weight Distribution Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014 | 02:29 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Properly Install Weight Distribution Trailer Hitch

Being that there have been several "trailer" themed posts here lately, and also, due to the fact that someone stole my weight distribution hitch off the back of my truck (Probably a tweeker looking for some scrap metal to sell), I have had trailer hitches are on my mind. A few weeks ago, prior to parallel parking my truck, I had taken the hitch out of the receiver and placed it in the truck bed so as not to impale the car behind. If I am in this situation again, I will leave the hitch at home, or lock it in the truck cab, before venturing into town.

I got to thinking, now that I have to replace my hitch, was my weight distribution hitch installed correctly in the first place? After seeing the CURT video, IT WAS NOT!

Enclosed are two (2) You Tube links (short and brief) that explain how to properly install a weight distribution hitch providing for maximum efficiency.

The professionally produced CURT video explains the installation technique very well.

CURT Video:

This video is helpful too: Jay Sparks Weight Distribution Hitch video:
Old 07-26-2014 | 02:52 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Best system is a trunnion with an integrated dual cam sway control.

Proper setup is key.
Old 07-29-2014 | 11:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Re-instaling my weight distribution...

hitch. My local guy has watched the videos above and will be re-installing my weight distribution hitch.

The original was stolen…so it had to be done anyway…might as well do it right.
Old 07-29-2014 | 11:38 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting this. I just bought a weight distribution system (used) on Monday. I was going to have someone install it for me but now I fell pretty confident to do it myself.
Old 07-30-2014 | 12:35 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile Very pleased to have been of some help...

I am embarrassed that I towed for years with an improperly installed weight distribution hitch…..it does look like a DIY project.
Old 07-30-2014 | 11:12 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I am embarrassed that I towed for years with an improperly installed weight distribution hitch…..it does look like a DIY project.
Interesting that it was improperly installed but that the effects were not noticeable to you.
I use a weight distributing hitch on my F250 crew cab/long bed. You'd think a truck that is this big wouldn't need weight distribution; trailer is @6500-7000 lbs loaded, and tongue weight is @ 800 lbs. but Ford requires weight distribution with that much tongue weight.
A bit more of an aggravation dealing with the distributing hitch but much more stable (I suspect) than not using one.
Old 07-30-2014 | 12:00 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

It does make a noticeable difference. I have a long bed 2500 crew cab. Absolutely obscenely long and stable. But the truck comes with a Class IV hitch. The WD makes a noticeable difference in stability and even trailer sway..

Two years ago, i towed from South Carolina back through hurricane Sandi.. Amazingly impervious to the winds.

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Interesting that it was improperly installed but that the effects were not noticeable to you.
I use a weight distributing hitch on my F250 crew cab/long bed. You'd think a truck that is this big wouldn't need weight distribution; trailer is @6500-7000 lbs loaded, and tongue weight is @ 800 lbs. but Ford requires weight distribution with that much tongue weight.
A bit more of an aggravation dealing with the distributing hitch but much more stable (I suspect) than not using one.
Old 07-30-2014 | 12:27 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dan212
It does make a noticeable difference. I have a long bed 2500 crew cab. Absolutely obscenely long and stable. But the truck comes with a Class IV hitch. The WD makes a noticeable difference in stability and even trailer sway..

Two years ago, i towed from South Carolina back through hurricane Sandi.. Amazingly impervious to the winds.
That was quite the experience.
When trailering, more stability is always better.
Have you ever hauled without the weight distribution capability, and if so, how much difference did you notice?
Old 07-30-2014 | 12:33 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile Tow without WD hitch?

It seems that even an improperly installed WD hitch (With an anti-sway tension bar) is better than no WD hitch lacking a anti-sway device.

I had to tow my car back from the shop, about 15 miles, on back roads….so not towing at speed (no more than about 50 mph), I could feel the difference…and this is without a side wind.

I am re-installing the WD hitch and ant-sway very soon. Won't tow without it.
Old 07-30-2014 | 01:45 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

It's more noticeable with an enclosed trailer.

Back when I was still racing, I had a 28' enclosed steel. Big, heavy, and worked like a sail in a windstorm. With the weight distribution hitch (+ integrated sway control) set up right, you really could barely tell the trailer was there. The first time I towed with it, I was in a wicked thunderstorm in Kansas (headed to Heartland Park), and pulled over thinking, "The truck is moving around a little, maybe I need to adjust it..." and when I opened the driver's door the wind ripped the door out of my hands. At that point I figured it was set up right and left it alone... 70mph cross-winds and the worst I could feel was a little bit of movement.

Once you go with that kind of hitch, you'll never want to go back. Plus the overall ride is much better - the whole truck+trailer work like a system.
Old 07-30-2014 | 01:57 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Aside from moving the trailer around at the track no.. I don't want to tow with the factory Class IV hitch and no WD, but even in those small moves I felt a difference.

And yeah.. Towing through a hurricane was an adventure. Got hit by a few flying tree branches and other miscellaneous objects.. This was actually one of the few times that I even FELT the trailer behind me.

That was quite the experience.
When trailering, more stability is always better.
Have you ever hauled without the weight distribution capability, and if so, how much difference did you notice?
Old 07-30-2014 | 02:33 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Martin S.
It seems that even an improperly installed WD hitch (With an anti-sway tension bar) is better than no WD hitch lacking a anti-sway device.

I had to tow my car back from the shop, about 15 miles, on back roads….so not towing at speed (no more than about 50 mph), I could feel the difference…and this is without a side wind.

I am re-installing the WD hitch and ant-sway very soon. Won't tow without it.
Interesting - glad that it provided some assistance.
I haven't tried my hitch without the weight distribution bars attached, partly because Ford doesn't advise it and partly because the hitch/weight distribution system works so well (as others have noted).
Re your previous hitch getting stolen - my trailer was at the shop all winter; I was having a winch installed and no rush, so didn't get it back before winter set in.
Anyway, picked up the trailer on the way to bring the Cayman home from Spencer's, and noted to the shop owner that the trailer-side attachments for the distribution bars weren't on the trailer. He said 'oh, right - we take them off so they don't get stolen for scrap', and sure enough, they were in the trailer.
So apparently you are not alone.
Old 07-30-2014 | 03:05 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

I have a travel trailer RV also, in addition to my car trailer, so I see plenty of towing setups when I go camping. I literally cannot believe how many of the weight distribution hitches I see are installed incorrectly or the dealer/installer gave the wrong hitching directions. One guy's installation was so bad that a bar would fall out if he made a sharp turn. Fortunately he had the exact WDH that I do so I explained to him the adjustment needed, which he was able to do before he left.

It makes me glad I installed my WDH's myself.

As for the benefits of a WDH, if I'm towing a box (enclosed car trailer or RV), I want the WDH. I've towed with and with it, and the difference is very noticeable, particularly on the RV which has a heavy tongue weight (~1,300 pounds). I wouldn't bother with a WDH on an open car trailer unless your tow vehicle is marginal or you need to take advantage of your hitch's full carrying capacity. Most hitches give a higher rating if you use a WDH.

Quick Reply: Properly Install Weight Distribution Trailer Hitch