Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide body or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014 | 11:47 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Default Wide body or not?

Current configuration of my narrow body 964 works very well indeed at 335bhp. It's fast, nimble and fun to drive.

Development will continue and I'm wrestling with converting it into a wide body. We know that getting to around 375 bhp (or more, given budget) will be easy, but...

...when do we make the decision to go wide and accommodate wider rubber? Currently running 250/650R18f and 265/645R18r in Hoosier R80s and am pleased with the results.

Any equations involving KE will be immediately discounted.
Old 07-17-2014 | 12:02 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

As soon as you stop drifting it through #9......
Old 07-17-2014 | 12:48 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Kai, look on the 964 forum for Geoffrey Ring...Mobil 1 tribute livery avatar(can't rememeber his rennlist name) ...You have similar mods...I believe his is a wide body conversion.

Old 07-17-2014 | 12:53 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dwane
Kai, look on the 964 forum for Geoffrey Ring...Mobil 1 tribute livery avatar(can't rememeber his rennlist name) ...You have similar mods...I believe his is a wide body conversion.

Yep! Know his car well.

My question actually revolves around when does it become necessary, rather than how to do it.

IF it happens, then the only questions revolve around displacement and weight (i.e. GT4 or GT3)...or money, to be more precise.
Old 07-17-2014 | 12:53 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Found him-Geoffrey is his rennlist name.
Old 07-17-2014 | 12:57 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Couple of factors which I'm sure you've already considered.....

Flares and wider tires equate to more drag. On the shorter, twisty tracks that's less impactive than on a high speed banked track.

Increasing your WHP may be easy to achieve but it's definitely more wear & tear on the motor and drivetrain.

If you're running NASA's GTS series tire width has no impact. If you run in the ST series any tire over a 265 series adds +.3 to the calculation. BTW, are you planning on running the Nationals at Road Atlanta at eh end of August? If so you should consider running both GTS3 and ST3. You could win 2 classes and seriously kick ***....
Old 07-17-2014 | 12:59 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

We make a great wide body kit in CF
Old 07-17-2014 | 01:00 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Do you need speed or grip?

If it's speed -- leave it narrow.

m
Old 07-17-2014 | 01:04 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Do you need speed or grip?

m
That's the question, is it not?

At what point in engine development does one need more rubber - as this would be the only reason to go wide.
Old 07-17-2014 | 01:10 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Couple of factors which I'm sure you've already considered.....

Flares and wider tires equate to more drag. On the shorter, twisty tracks that's less impactive than on a high speed banked track.

Increasing your WHP may be easy to achieve but it's definitely more wear & tear on the motor and drivetrain.

If you're running NASA's GTS series tire width has no impact. If you run in the ST series any tire over a 265 series adds +.3 to the calculation. BTW, are you planning on running the Nationals at Road Atlanta at eh end of August? If so you should consider running both GTS3 and ST3. You could win 2 classes and seriously kick ***....
I've run with ST (as GTSU due to lack of current dyno) and done well, but those Vettes are obnoxiously loud (kidding) and hard to get around. Have to add a bit of weight to get to GTS4, so no way to GTS3.
Old 07-17-2014 | 01:14 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

While not a 964 my observations should hold valid to a certain extent.

What I have found is that I have lost top end speed, however it more than makes up for it on the tracks I run with cornering ability, as you can brake later into and take the corners a little quicker, and get on the power a tad earlier coming out.

So it is more about your driving style than HP. Do you like going faster in the straights or the twistie bits.
Old 07-17-2014 | 01:22 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Kai,

Road Atlanta! NASA Nationals!

I hear it calling.....
Old 07-17-2014 | 01:23 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rlm328
Do you like going faster in the straights or the twistie bits.
Currently the only we can keep up is by pedaling like crazy through the twisties.

If one thinks about it, at least in the PCA, ALL of the monster GT3 and GT4 cars are widebodies. My little car works very well and I honestly believe I'm driving well enough again, but wonder how much more HP the car can handle in its current configuration.

At the moment, there is no way in hell I can keep up with the likes of Polk, Forsythe (Glen's old car), Yonker's old car or a couple others. The rest we can beat, as well as a few of the 6Cups.
Old 07-17-2014 | 01:23 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tim Webb
Kai,

Road Atlanta! NASA Nationals!

I hear it calling.....
But I get so Skeered....
Old 07-17-2014 | 01:26 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by KaiB
I've run with ST (as GTSU due to lack of current dyno) and done well, but those Vettes are obnoxiously loud (kidding) and hard to get around. Have to add a bit of weight to get to GTS4, so no way to GTS3.
The Vettes aren't nearly as loud as the Mazda RX7's I've raced with in ST2 for years. Fortunately they've all gone to ST3 since the rule change starting in 2013. They're unbearable just sitting next to one on grid....

You need to dyno your car on a Dynojet to accurately make your weight/whp calculations.....

Quick Reply: Wide body or not?