Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM Race studio 2 question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:27 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bingo! It works! Thanks so much guys. Yes cetom I'm at the very bottom of the learning curve. All three of these channels provide insight on where you pickup time or lose time. By comparing two clean laps (video varified) I find the Full_TPS On function to be extremely revealing. I understand your reasoning for wanting a %wot_lap for comparing lap to lap, but I would think it more meaningful to want to know where on each lap you are short or long on WOT.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll certainly stay tuned.

Cheers!
Old 06-26-2014, 03:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnPG
Bingo! It works!

I find the Full_TPS On function to be extremely revealing. I understand your reasoning for wanting a %wot_lap for comparing lap to lap, but I would think it more meaningful to want to know where on each lap you are short or long on WOT.

Cheers!
While the overlay of Full_TPS On is great for comparison purposes, the real benefit of %wot_lap is to objectively evaluate setup changes, component substitutions impacting handling, basically the BEST window of a driver's confidence is that right foot.

It usually takes a driver that can be consistent enough (within a tenth or two) in percentage from lap to lap to really tell what is going on, but it is a great measure and what all the top engineers use.

I don't worry about the distance correction wiggle at the end, I just place the cursor at the last good value before the wiggle to get the number.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-26-2014, 05:46 PM
cetom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi pro coach thanks so do you have a math channel that will give %wot for theend of the entire lap or do you have to look at the end of the lap and see what it is ?
Old 06-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 969 Likes on 582 Posts

You should be able to do a channel report and take the max value for each lap to compare lap to lap.

While this is a good measure, I think you are better off comparing specific areas to work on to improve, rather than a global approach. By looking for proper use of the throttle, you will find where you can make improvements and figure out how to do it, rather than just seeing that it is different.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You should be able to do a channel report and take the max value for each lap to compare lap to lap.

While this is a good measure, I think you are better off comparing specific areas to work on to improve, rather than a global approach.
Yes, this shows under the channel report, IIRC.

This is a tool for use with drivers already at a VERY high level, and those who are capable of performance execution within a very narrow range.

It is not for driver improvement, it's for car setup evaluation.

If you have a variation that is beyond a certain point, this won't tell you what you need to know, but if you have drivers that are capable of doing several laps each session within a few hundredths, or a MAXIMUM variation of less than two-tenths of a second on a 2:00+ lap, it becomes very valuable.

In the top racing series, it's not uncommon to have six-eight-ten cars within tenths. This is the level of query you need to be doing to get/gain/keep the edge.

Since an integral part of a successful "setup" of a car is about making the driver feel confident that they can approach the (their) limit more frequently, and few drivers can objectively relate changes at that level, this is a good measure to get an unbiased, uncolored "read" on a driver's confidence.

I'll stop now!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:54 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ProCoach
While the overlay of Full_TPS On is great for comparison purposes, the real benefit of %wot_lap is to objectively evaluate setup changes, component substitutions impacting handling, basically the BEST window of a driver's confidence is that right foot.

It usually takes a driver that can be consistent enough (within a tenth or two) in percentage from lap to lap to really tell what is going on, but it is a great measure and what all the top engineers use.

I don't worry about the distance correction wiggle at the end, I just place the cursor at the last good value before the wiggle to get the number.
Peter, the setup comparison makes sense; what I've been doing is comparing good sectors to better sectors using wot, g-sum etc. to see what I need to do to hit my theoretical best lap. Something that I'm sure would be more efficiently reached using your services.

Quick Reply: AIM Race studio 2 question