Sponsored by:

Who attended SVRA at Indy

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 PM
gab997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who attended SVRA at Indy

Looking for feedback from those who drove...
Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

My pole lap in front of 22 other Sports 2000 cars, including two former SCCA National Champions:

I was skeptical because Indy has NEVER had an "amateur" race. 3000+ people just including the drivers, family, friends and crew, but the spectator count was in excess of 2nd day Indy 500 Qualifying on Saturday!

I like the track, but the chance to do oval laps was killer. It was a very emotional experience...

Hupfer was there, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-11-2014, 09:48 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I debuted the new spec car there as well. Unfortunately it's kind of like bringing a stick to an artillery fight though. Datsuns had 280 hp, to my 140 in class. Pushing them through the corners to maintain momentum then watch them just motor away. The track was smooth with great grip. Obviously no elevation change but it was Indy. I got to race Indy!!

Talked with Hupfer while registering. Saw you Peter but I was strapped in at the time. Another PCA cup car was there, talked to him while going through tech.

Definitely a bucket list thing for anyone to do. SVRA made trading cards of the car with driver bio. Kids ate that up. Collected cards as they went through the paddock. Awesome idea that played very well.
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2014, 09:39 PM
gab997
Racer

I was really surprised when I heard that they opened the track up to amateur racers. I have been thinking about going the svra route after I get the car built vs pca. With svra going to Indy and Houston plus not being as restricted vs pca is pretty much the route I'm going to take. I have always wanted to drive Indy and now will have the opportunity.
Interested in hearing differences between Indy and Houston.

Good driving,
Greg
Old 06-12-2014, 07:43 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Its a shame they don't use Indy T1 like in the previous configuration. The infield looks a lot more open though and I'm sure the pavement is better than before. Looking forward to going back with imsa later this year.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:20 PM
mcongleton
Racer

I drove at Indy (Lola T-598 Sports 2000) and had a blast. I drove the old configuration with GA and I missed running T-1 backwards, that was an awesome experience. With the elimination of the old T-5 and T-6 was welcomed as the new T-5 and T-6 is nothing more than a chicane that in some cars is taken flat allowing for very high speed into the brake zone on the Hulman Straight. I was not a fan of the T-12 (almost a 180 degree) T-13 complex although it provided another passing opportunity into T-12.

As Peter mentioned, running the oval was epic. I have total respect for the guys who go flat around the place, they are very brave indeed.

I think most people equate "vintage" to old fart racing. Trust me, if you are at the sharp end of the field you run with highly skilled and many well know drivers.

Cory, you will love the new configuration and the Porsche will kick butt. Use all the curb at T-6 it won't upset your car at all.

Mark

Quick Reply: Who attended SVRA at Indy