Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Special thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014 | 09:52 PM
PJR1976
Instructor

Default Special thanks!

Big thanks to Ernie at Mantis Sport... Got the track sat morning only to have my tranny lock up

This was my first UCRPCA event in my new 944 Race car and only my second time in the car and only my second time at Mosport, so you can imagine my disappointment when my tranny let go.

Ernie saved the day!

Ernie called his shop 1.5 hours aways and had them bring his own spare tranny to the track and then spent the entire day on his back under the car changing the tranny.

BUT... Hehe... Errrrr..... The new tranny didn't resolve the issue, what the f**k

Turns out the short shifter I installed a few days before managed to vibrate the lock bolt loose and that's what locked out the gears....

So after a full days effort, blood and tears it actually wasn't the tranny... Poor Ernie, I felt so bad.

I can't say enough about Ernie and Mantis... For those who haven't had the pleasure of meeting him, he is a top guy and goes out the way to help others.

Also big thanks to all the wonderful instructors and track help.

Cheers,
Paul
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2014 | 09:55 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Glad you got it diagnosed. While scrutineering and racing, can't tell you the number of 944 variants that have failed for the weekend due to using a short shifter. Has to be upwards of 15 in the last 3 years. I'd ditch the short shift linkage and stick with a good stock unit. They may be fine for street driving but I've seen nothing but trouble with them on the track.

I'm sure others opinions will vary.
Old 06-11-2014 | 10:06 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I'm using Ernie's short shifter kit and it works perfect!!!

Old 06-11-2014 | 03:29 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Hi , all it was a short shifter handle which rattled loose, I didnt know Paul installed one. O well.

Quick Reply: Special thanks!