Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

2014 Grand Prix du Canada

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 04:28 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Got home from the race late last night. Awesome spectacle! Plenty of drama - loved it!

Since I haven't watched the TV commentary yet, I have a question... When Nico missed a corner and went straight through on the final turn around the middle of the race, what was the stewards' view? I thought Lewis was definitely about to catch him on that lap.
They said it was Derek Daly. No advantage gained so no penalty.
Which is fresh BS. It sets a precedent at the Canada GP now. Afraid of getting overtaken on that corner? Just skip it.

Rossbergs' move at the start was ballsy but looking at the long view of the season, he's burning up more fuel trying to keep up with Hamilton. Hoping for only Lewis to have a mechanical DNF or ruining his team mates qualifying laps isn't going to work every weekend. But the fuel issue is a big one for Nico.

p.s.
What in the world must be going through Vettel's head right now. Any leverage he thought he had on the team officially evaporated.
I'd consider moving into Massa or Botas' seat (with the obligatory Williams driver pay cut). Redbull is not a two #1 drivers team. Nor is Ferrari. McLaren are up to their usual over-promise, under-deliver, and Lotus are going backward.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard they changed the rule a little, the wording now is "No lasting advantage", so I think it makes sense, by the time they made the decision, all advantage was lost anyway.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Newey clearly not happy with the new direction of F1:
http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/06/...nt-with-newey/

And thank goodness F1 is committed to cutting costs (in all the right ways):
http://www.formula1blog.com/f1-news/...too-expensive/

http://www.formula1blog.com/category/f1b-op-ed/
Old 06-09-2014, 05:37 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ They're only now figuring out that costs are obscene?

I've been following Indy this season since Montoya is back. When I hear Patrick Head say teams are spending $30 million a year (other reports as high as $130 million) I fail to see how I'm seeing 15X's the racing when I tune over to the F1 race. Indy teams spend about $2 million for eight engines at the high end of the grid. F1 has lost any sense of proportion. Maybe if all the teams were competitive it would make sense and not 4 of the 11 that can manage the costs.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:03 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
They said it was Derek Daly. No advantage gained so no penalty.
Which is fresh BS. It sets a precedent at the Canada GP now. Afraid of getting overtaken on that corner? Just skip it.
As Hamilton wasn't in a position to pass, nor was he attempting to pass, there's not much difference from Nico cutting the corner than all the other drivers who cut it through the course of the race. You can't make a habit out of it or the stewards will hand you a penalty. There were a few examples of drivers who had to give up a position because they used the shortcut during passing attempts. The only possibility that I can imagine for a penalty in the Nico situation is that he used it to break the DRS gap.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:09 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Newey clearly not happy with the new direction of F1:
http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/06/...nt-with-newey/

And thank goodness F1 is committed to cutting costs (in all the right ways):
http://www.formula1blog.com/f1-news/...too-expensive/

http://www.formula1blog.com/category/f1b-op-ed/
So much of the rule changes are in favor of appeasing this bunch:

Debate continues over how much race cars pollute environment
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...288/story.html

To summarize:

1) F1 cars burning gas is bad for the environment.
2) F1 cars have tires that degrade and are toxic which is bad for the environment.
3) Tourism and people traveling to watch the race is bad for the environment.
4) Noise pollution is a complaint from some people and is therefore bad for the environment.

I'm not saying companies should abandon the pursuit of transferring technology from their race cars to their street cars and marketing the advances as such but to do it to appease single-minded people is absurd. The idea of motorsport is economically and environmentally excessive as it is.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:03 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Has Massa ever admitted to being at fault for anything? When he had that series of multiple dust-ups with Hamilton (2 yrs ago?), none of those were his fault either. He wasn't responsible for all of them but he was for more than his fair share.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:59 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
Has Massa ever admitted to being at fault for anything? When he had that series of multiple dust-ups with Hamilton (2 yrs ago?), none of those were his fault either. He wasn't responsible for all of them but he was for more than his fair share.
I watched that accident over and over and over and just really don't see how it is Perez's fault. It looks like Massa dive bombed the chicane and ran out of track. Perez didn't make any sudden moves but it appeared that Massa turned into him at the last moment.

FIA had the data in their hands when given Perez a 5 grid spot penalty for Austria so maybe they are seeing something we are not.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:39 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

ps to my earlier post, while I did not watch replays ad nauseum, to me this was a racing accident. stuff happens - you don't have to give out a penalty every time
Old 06-10-2014, 05:45 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I watched that accident over and over and over and just really don't see how it is Perez's fault. It looks like Massa dive bombed the chicane and ran out of track. Perez didn't make any sudden moves but it appeared that Massa turned into him at the last moment.

FIA had the data in their hands when given Perez a 5 grid spot penalty for Austria so maybe they are seeing something we are not.

The race line through there is all the way on the right side of the track where Vettel is. You can see in the Perez shot that he peels off the racing line just before impact. Watch Vettel's car as a reference and you'll see it go to the right of Perez's nose when he comes off line.

It's also neat to watch Vettel's hands when he sees Massa coming up the inside. He unwinds the wheel to dodge and that causes him to have to take a bit of grass.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:52 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL

The race line through there is all the way on the right side of the track where Vettel is. You can see in the Perez shot that he peels off the racing line just before impact. Watch Vettel's car as a reference and you'll see it go to the right of Perez's nose when he comes off line.

It's also neat to watch Vettel's hands when he sees Massa coming up the inside. He unwinds the wheel to dodge and that causes him to have to take a bit of grass.
There is a racing line and then there is the line you take when someone is in back of you. It looked like Perez "owned" that chicane and Massa dive-bombed him. The more I look at it the more I think Massa screwed up. I also don't see how he peeled off the racing line. Very hard to use Vettel as a reference as they are not going in a straight line.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Perez didn't own the chicane. There is still a good way till turn in.

He realized late in the process that Massa was going to attempt a pass and moved over. Poor judgement on Perez's part. That said...sh#t happens.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:44 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

It looked pretty clear to me in the front 3/4 shot that Perez clearly braked more than necessary (note the gap between Perez and Vettel grow quickly) and that Massa wasn't expecting Perez to hit the hooks before the braking point on the corner, hence Massa ramming Perez.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:01 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
There is a racing line and then there is the line you take when someone is in back of you.
Agreed. I think Perez switched from the racing line (behind Vettel) to "the line you take when someone is in back of you" when Massa already had his tire next to Perez's rear.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:06 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

It is a racing contact. He used that line more than once - hell the guy in front decides the line and the speed . If he braked more , so what , Then go around.

This business of "the racing line" aint . If so just line up and follow each other around .

I am not faulting either one. But it sure as heck isn't Perezs fault. I am not so sure Massa wasn't about to blow that turn .

Quick Reply: 2014 Grand Prix du Canada