Old 06-08-2014 | 04:45 PM
jenk12m
Banned

What a race!!!
Old 06-08-2014 | 04:55 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Another great race. In spite of the Mercedes domination this season has been pretty darn good.

Well done Ricciardo!!
Old 06-08-2014 | 04:59 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Didn't want to see it end like that but it happens. Great driving from ricciardo
Old 06-08-2014 | 08:29 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

The last 10 laps the top 5 were really banging it out Fantastic racing. I was really pulling for Massa, hell, he even led several laps. Kudos to Riccardo and RBR
Old 06-08-2014 | 09:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

O Canada! Hats off to Ricciardo.

And talk about threading the needle....

Old 06-08-2014 | 11:43 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I think Vettel used up all his luck this season avoiding that accident.
Old 06-08-2014 | 11:51 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Nice to see a deserving Riccardo take the win and Vettel sharing the podium, but only because the German sleds were kaput.

Sucks for Perez and Massa, looked like Perez went in tighter than usual with a late defensive move (maybe early braking) Massa had committed wasn't expecting him to be there...either way Massa looked way hot on entry, not sure he could have make it. Williams looked so good until the end.
Old 06-09-2014 | 01:47 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

The first time I haven't picked Ricci! Clearly it took a failure from the Mercs for him to win but **** does occur.
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy than Dan. Perhaps Vettel has learned some lessons this year too as he was magnanimous in congratulating Dan. Very nice to see Niki also in there congratulating the RBR guys too.
Old 06-09-2014 | 09:57 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Agreed, it was a fantastic race. It kept me on the edge of my seat for the last 20 laps. To bad my "seat" was on the sofa. My 3 boys were at the race. Can't wait to review things when they get back.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-09-2014 | 10:20 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

MB:
Paddy Lowe, Executive Director (technical): "We knew this would be a very tough race and so it proved. We were able to run at a good level of performance at the beginning of the race, notwithstanding a minor incident for Nico when he ran straight on at Turn 14 in the second stint. We then experienced a near-simultaneous failure of the MGU-K on both cars just after half distance, which was apparently caused by an issue in the high-voltage Control Electronics which manage the MGU-K. This meant both cars lost hybrid power from this point onwards and, without the additional braking force of the MGU-K, this also put a much higher load on the rear brakes. Lewis then suffered a complete rear brake failure after his second pit stop, which was a consequence of the MGU-K fault. Nico was not affected in the same way and managed incredibly to maintain position from lap 37 to lap 67, making up time in the first and second sectors in order to defend in sector three, when he was considerably down on power. This was achievable against the Force India but not the Red Bull after Ricciardo finally passed Perez. It is disappointing to see our run of race wins and 1-2 finishes come to an end. Nevertheless, we will regroup for the next race and will be determined to arrive in Austria in an even stronger position."

Perez/Massa:
"Sergio Perez has been given a 5-place grid penalty for his coming together with Felipe Massa in the final lap of the Canadian Grand Prix, FIA stewards have announced after the race.

The stewards found that, leading into the first left hander, Sergio Perez moved to the left off of the normal racing line. This was deemed to be the cause of the crash that sent both Felipe Massa and Sergio Perez off the track, violently hitting the tyre walls.

Both men stepped out of their cars themselves but as their crashes hit 27g on impact, they were both sent off to the Sacre Coeur hospital with the medical helicopter, but both have meanwhile been discharged, finding them unhurt.

Even though the stewards have clearly taken the side of Massa, one can wonder how dangerous or strange Perez' move really was. While Perez was struggling with his brakes, a difficulty for Massa to make a good judgement on how to pass, it should also be noted that Sergio Perez repeatedly approached the first corner in a way he did at the time of the accident.

All in all, Perez' move certainly did not appear to be intentional, but instead was likely his own normal racing line, admittedly a rather uncommon one as most drivers usually prefer to keep to the very right of the track before turning into turn 1.

Even though his coming together with Massa was early on after moving away from the right side of the track, it did look like the Mexican was heading for a similar racing line as when Daniel Ricciardo got past him 2 laps earlier. Interestingly, in that event, Ricciardo chose to stick to the far right himself, passing Perez on the right side before turning left into turn 1.

The clash essentially cost both men fourth and fifth place and their teams a lot of work. Fortunately the doctors were not required to do anything."

http://www.f1technical.net/
Old 06-09-2014 | 10:55 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Well that was a rather unexpected result. I guess Mercedes is not as infallible as I assumed they were. Congrats to Ricco for his first GP win. It won't happen this year, but in the coming years if Renault can produce a more competitive power plant and with Adrian Newey signing an extension for several more years at Red Bull, Daniel Ricciardo could go on to win a WDC and it just goes to show Red Bull picked the right young Aussie to replace the aging Aussie.

Dang that was a close call for Vettel not getting collected in Massa's and Perez's crash.

Last edited by My993C2; 06-09-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2014 | 11:57 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

At least someone else won one .
Old 06-09-2014 | 04:07 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Got home from the race late last night. Awesome spectacle! Plenty of drama - loved it!

Since I haven't watched the TV commentary yet, I have a question... When Nico missed a corner and went straight through on the final turn around the middle of the race, what was the stewards' view? I thought Lewis was definitely about to catch him on that lap.

Regarding the sound of the new engines, it is deeper than before but MUCH quieter. We were sitting 8 rows from the track, about 30-35 feet from the cars as they accelerated out of the hairpin. Technically you don't need ear plugs (!!!) although I still wore them. The vibration in your body as they go by is not there anymore either.

That being said the sound is actually not bad. Still mechanical. You hear the gear changes, turbos, tires, etc. And the PA as well, and can actually talk to people sitting next to you during the race. After 3 days of listening I've gotten pretty used to it and don't hate it.

The AMG safety/medical cars sounded better though. And the Ferrari Challenge were even better. But the best sound of the weekend came from the old-timer F1 cars from the 70s that they ran as a support series. No GT3 Challenge this year which was a real bummer. I heard that the fee Bernie asked for was too much but that's unconfirmed.

In other news, it was announced over the weekend that Montreal signed a 10-year deal w. F1 so the race will come back every year through 2024
Old 06-09-2014 | 04:20 PM
JustinL
Drifting

I think the stewards had to decide whether Nico gained an advantage by cutting. Because Lewis was not actively making a pass Nico was not considered to have gained. I think Coulthard felt that he gained a time advantage and was also able to break the DRS 1 second window by doing that though. On a radio message to Lewis, they said that Nico has had his final course cutting warning after that. Both Mercs started to fall apart right away after that, so we didn't get to see what would have happened with more pressure between them.
Old 06-09-2014 | 04:21 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
All in all, Perez' move certainly did not appear to be intentional, but instead was likely his own normal racing line
... but isn't this how the stewards are seeing it? We all saw how he was dealing with his car at the end of the race... I am not so sure Massa doesn't at least play a part by perhaps lacking 100% solid judgement. I was surprised by the grid penalty on Perez.

Quick Reply: 2014 Grand Prix du Canada