Default video cameras

if you dont mind, who uses what camera for in car shooting,
motion free and inexspensive?
thanks, don
Old 08-05-2003, 01:37 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

In my opinion, the best solution is a cheap video camera that takes a video input from a lipstick camera. The lipstick camera can be mounted anywhere, will not vibrate like a full-size camera, and you don't have to buy a big, heavy $100 camera mount.

The camcorder itself can go in a padded case in the car. This way, you won't be vibrating an expensive video camera to death.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Untier
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sounds like the best idea yet, any more thoughts on it?
brand?
Old 08-05-2003, 11:26 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Go search this thread. There was a nice discussion about this issue about two weeks ago. Dialog about lipstick options and relative costs as well as sites to visit with the different systems.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:46 PM
Untier
Racer

Default video

what would the different heights or locations give?
being able to see the gauges would be ok
what about the bumper cams? how is the viewing pleasure when theres nothing in front and down so low?
it'd fit real nice in my grill, now were talking about less than 12" from the ground. how would it look at some good speed, 100 and up? or even slow?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:08 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Untier

Since you didn't bother to do a search, I did.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=video+cameras
Old 08-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Untier
Racer

i did last nite but havent got back yet, thanks
Old 08-08-2003, 07:21 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

I've got a Sony TRV520 (digital Hi-8) that I use..it has got a "stable image" feature but I'm not sure what it does..She's a nice unit, not too heavy.. It gets cradled in the IOPort Camera mount which hangs on my Redline rollbar. To expand the camera angle option, I purchased a $160 color vid lipstick cam from supercircuts.com and am experimenting with mounting locations. The first an easiest spot is the passenger mirror, flipped forward. This give a nice view of the fender. Duct tape is suficient as a mount there. I tried the gas cap cover mount, the view down the side of the car is nice but the passenger mirror blocks forward view..yet the driver is visible in the mirror (kindof cool) I've got dreams of filming the suspension, etc.. but mounting the lipstick cam fairly secure can be a challenge. I've run into audio difficulties too, I may need a microphone with more line voltage than the ones I have (RadShack Batt powered mic's) The microphones work great in vidcam mode (thru the lens) but the audio is lost when recording in VCR mode (thru the lipsick cam) I've got close to 2G's in this setup (OK so the rollbar was for another purpose, but you need something to bolt it to) As with most things car related, It isn't cheap to do right
Old 09-15-2007, 07:55 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
I've run into audio difficulties too, I may need a microphone with more line voltage than the ones I have (RadShack Batt powered mic's) The microphones work great in vidcam mode (thru the lens) but the audio is lost when recording in VCR mode (thru the lipsick cam)
I am trying to setup a very similar remote camera and audio. I have a small battery powered microphone, the type that uses a small watch-type battery. I cannot get audio, at all. Can anyone shed light on what type of powered microphone, or amplified mic I need?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2007, 08:26 PM
James-man
Race Car

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
The camcorder itself can go in a padded case in the car. This way, you won't be vibrating an expensive video camera to death.
I have a DVD camcorder and the instruction manual advises to not run the device in an enclosed area. The heat it generates during sustained use is substantial. Are there vented, padded cases to use.

A friend at the track showed me a lightweight SD card camcorder (lower power requirement due to no moving parts) that he was using. Pretty inexpensive too. Not sure how long these electronics will last, but so far so good. Pricing was $100 - $175.

Just a couple of things to think about.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:32 PM
James-man
Race Car

Originally Posted by Untier
what would the different heights or locations give?
being able to see the gauges would be ok
what about the bumper cams? how is the viewing pleasure when theres nothing in front and down so low?
it'd fit real nice in my grill, now were talking about less than 12" from the ground. how would it look at some good speed, 100 and up? or even slow?
The last DE I attended, there were video services and data acquisition available for rent. In watching the video of the top mounted camera, magnetically mounted on the roof, it was amazing how much of the track was visible in comparison to in-car video, and you get a much better connection of the car and the track on the screen. Unfortunately, you miss driver hands & driver movements from that perspective.

Best views are probably top of car, and in the middle behind the seats. 12" off the ground would be neat to see, but difficult to learn anything from.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:42 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an in-car camera set up that uses a cheap sony camcorder as a "vcr" that's fed by a remote camera that's rigidly mounted on my roll bar. I'm very pleased with the video and audio quality.

I bought my set-up from Bruce at American Raceday. http://www.americanraceday.com (I have no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer).

You can reach him at (951) 536-7497 or bruce at americanraceday dot com. He's local here in SoCal and offers "one-stop shopping" for all of the cables, accessories, etc. that you need + his prices are very reasonable.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:36 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my chasecam. Expensive but built for the job and the CF cards can keep running all day.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:30 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by rabjohns
I love my chasecam. Expensive but built for the job and the CF cards can keep running all day.
+1.

Since I didn't want to tie into my electrical system I went with the Chasecam setup. Powers for 2 hours on 4 AA batteries. I also don't have a nice place to stick a recording device that is vibration free. It handles very unfriendly environments quite well.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:16 AM
silver44
Instructor

I used to use my Sony camcorder but I had to replace it...the only problem was that you cannot find any new camcorders that take an analog input which you need to use the lipstick cameras...so I bought the chase cam setup...expensive but nice.

Quick Reply: video cameras