Posted on Jalopnik:

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/nel...ini-1578466953
Old 05-20-2014, 02:12 AM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Post re: 944fest on the 944 section:

Originally Posted by Dougs951
Alright, I just got off the phone with Travis@Rennbay. Sadly there is a bit of drama unfolding at Nelson that has put 944Fest 2014 in jeopardy.

Right now we are very hopeful that the fest will still go on.

Friday we will make the final announcement about the status of the Fest.

-Doug
Old 05-20-2014, 09:38 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I haven't driven at Nelson in 30 years and it was run down then, too bad it's a great driver's track.
Phil
Old 05-20-2014, 10:21 AM
John@DSM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We hear they fired the Management and are trying to get track Manager in there. Hopefully we will hear something soon.
It is a rough track and facility, but a blast to drive. Hate to hear of any track closing so hopefully this is just temporary.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:28 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by John@DSM
We hear they fired the Management and are trying to get track Manager in there. Hopefully we will hear something soon.
It is a rough track and facility, but a blast to drive. Hate to hear of any track closing so hopefully this is just temporary.
+1

I fear it's gone and over with. Cost to re-pave likely not a good investment given the current revenue (or lack there of) that the track generates.

The deal to buy it a couple years ago and turn it into the next country club track fell through because of the cost of EPA cleanup of the facilities and removing / disposing of all of the tires was reported to be > 2 million.

Sad indeed I loved taking a random Friday off of work every now and then and showing up for lapping days.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:27 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
the cost of EPA cleanup of the facilities and removing / disposing of all of the tires was reported to be > 2 million.
I suspect that's going to be its curse -- removing all those tires will almost certainly be necessary if the place changes hands, meaning that it comes with a guaranteed liability that way outstrips what you could make from owning the track.

With new pavement and tire walls instead of piles, it would really be a lovely facility, but even Limerock couldn't get on the PWC schedule this year, and big series are harder to come by than they were even a couple of years ago. I think this is the end of Nelson Ledges.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:02 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got an invite to a "Save Nelson Ledges" page with a petition, but I don't know the AutoInterests group behind it:

https://www.facebook.com/savenelsonledges
Petition: http://autointerests.com/content/save-nelson-ledges

They sound like they have at least sort of a plan, but I have zero clue who they are and what that plan is. The details didn't seem to give a lot of detail. Any clue?
Old 05-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

From Mahoning Valley SCCA:

http://www.mvrscca.org/Nelson%20Ledges.pdf
Old 05-22-2014, 01:42 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 351 Posts

I ran Nelsons quite a bit in the late '90's when I lived in Cleveland. It was a dump then and the pavement was in horrible shape. I imagine the pavement is in a sorry state 15 years later and it's sad to see that nothing has been done to upgrade the facilities.

You need to spend cash to maintain tracks, otherwise they decay and turn into a dangerous place for all of us to play. If it's gotten this bad, then good riddance to bad garbage.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:25 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I raced regularly at Nelson from the early 80's until '99. In fact I attended my first SCCA Drivers School there. It was a fun, fast track but sadly always a bit neglected and always in need of some kind of maintenance. The facilities were always somewhat.......rustic. I have fond memories of racing there and am disappointed to learn of its potential demise. It always had the potential to be something much better, like a Blackhawk, for example.

The input here is correct - the investment required to bring it up to standard would probably outweigh the return on investment. The tires are probably the biggest liability. Something may come from the plan put forth by Autointerests. Hopefully Reed Kryder's assessment will prove true. It would be shame to see Nelson Ledges die.

Last edited by David993S; 05-22-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Nelson Ledges Road Course activities suspended indefinitely