Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strut brace setting (compression or tension?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 04:44 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question strut brace setting (compression or tension?)

So, got a nice new RENNLINE aluminum strut brace. Besides the mounting being only 2 point, I am really happy with it. Actually, for improved category in my club that's all I can run.

Now, there were no instructions with it either. Do I want the bar to be in compression (pressing the towers apart a bit) or in tension (pulling them togethersome). Or do I want the bar without preload, practically relaxed?

Now I have it in some tension thinking that that will keep the neg. camber where it needs to be?

Please give me some input also on the amount of preload if I need to put any.

George
Old 08-04-2003, 05:30 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No real preload. Install the brackets, then place the bar at the length that the mounting harware slides in easily. Tighten down, and then perhaps rotate the bar 1/2 turn "longer" to but some pressure on the strut towers. Too much, and you'll just be contributing to early metal fatigue as you'll put constant flexing stress on the strut towers.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:02 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

George,

Brian is right, you don't want a prelode on the bar. The bar is there to restrict the spreading of the towers, but you don't want to use it to pull them together with a preload, just make it snug. You will really notice a much taunter feel with the bar in place.

My old shelby had a one peice shock tower brace that worked in compression, the only way to remove it to get to the engine was to jack the car up with a jack under the crossmember to let the chassis spread. Talk about a loose chassis! That bar was meant to work in compression, was made of rolled steel and weighed about 15lbs!

Anyway enjoy!

Quick Reply: strut brace setting (compression or tension?)