Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer backup cameras? Wireless?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Trailer backup cameras? Wireless?

I have to back my 28' gooseneck up my driveway. Two stone walls line the driveway and only one could be softened slightly. At present wifey helps with a 2way radio. What I really need are cameras on the trailer to see exactly where the back end is heading. Really difficult in the dark, much easier in the light where I can see at least one side.
Anybody use these? Wireless types?
There is one wireless type that clips over the rear view mirror and can handle 3 cameras.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Trailer Camera

We have a rear camera and very tight fit also -- 24' Tag-- really doesn't help
much - our camera is mounted top center and is wireless 2.4 not the best video quality
- maybe if you mount one on each side of the trailer so you can see where the tail is going.

However, the camera really helps out on the road in traffic.

Regards,
Old 05-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We tried wireless and the resolution does not allow it to help. Leviathan holdings on ebay sold us wired systems for each trailer. I strongly endorse them. We even have sound.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:57 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,394 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Looking for a backup camera for enclosed trailer. It looks like all the wireless systems don't work well from what I see.

Any other recommendations for a hard wired system? This one on Amazon seems to get reviews but wanted to see what the brain trust at RL says.

Amazon.com: Rear View Camera System One (1) Camera Setup With Trailer Tow Quick Connect/Disconnect Kit Model # RVS-770613-213: Automotive Amazon.com: Rear View Camera System One (1) Camera Setup With Trailer Tow Quick Connect/Disconnect Kit Model # RVS-770613-213: Automotive
Old 10-19-2014, 01:44 PM
flink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went DIY.

One of these monitors mounted over the rear-view mirror:
Amazon.com : Pyle PLCM105 10.2-Inch TFT LCD Rear View Mirror Monitor with Back-Up Camera : Vehicle Overhead Video : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Pyle PLCM105 10.2-Inch TFT LCD Rear View Mirror Monitor with Back-Up Camera : Vehicle Overhead Video : Car Electronics

One of these cameras mounted at the rear of the trailer:
Amazon.com : 9 LED Car Rear View Reverse Backup Camera Night Vision : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics Amazon.com : 9 LED Car Rear View Reverse Backup Camera Night Vision : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics

And a second camera mounted at the rear of the RV for when I'm not towing. The monitor accepts two video sources and you can switch between them. The rv-mounted camera is also useful when lining up the RV with the trailer to get it hitched up.

That plus a whole pile of RCA-to-RCA video cable and it all works very very well. Running the cable above the RV roof liner was of course a pain.

I tried a fancier camera (Pyle PLCM22IR) but it wasn't able to drive more than 6' of cable. Those cheap cameras drive 60' easily. They aren't very waterproof - they get misted up after rain. In the rainy season I undo a couple of screws and let the cameras dangle inside their vehicles to keep them dry. A better camera would be better, as long as it can drive that long cable.

Before doing all this I did some reading about the wireless systems and they all sounded pretty horrid. Going hard-wired is of course a lot more work, but that was all 3 years ago and now I just get to enjoy the results.

When reversing, the trailer camera is useful for checking that I'm not about to flatten someone/something, but I don't find it useful for aiming/direction. For that you need good side mirrors. I store my trailer next to my house, which involves reversing it through a gate which is 10" wider than the trailer. I ended up making my own side mirror with a bit of wood and bungy cords, to get it just right. Nowadays I can often reverse it through in one shot which sometimes gets applause from passers-by
Old 10-19-2014, 05:50 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a voyager wireless camera. It came with the trailer and it works well. Not HD. and not great in the dark, but I with my old trailer, I needed help backing my trailer into its parking spot by my house, now I can do it alone.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:25 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Flink - curious why you went with DIY instead of buying a system for a comparable amount of money? I do like the monitor you picked as that is one of my problems - where to put it. Between radar detector, forward facing camera, and GPS, the front of my truck is pretty electronic heavy.

linzman - Is this what you have? http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...p-system/55960

It got good reviews but it is really expensive!
Old 10-20-2014, 01:44 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Luigi.. what forward facing camera are you using in your truck?
Old 10-20-2014, 01:51 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Flink - curious why you went with DIY instead of buying a system for a comparable amount of money? I do like the monitor you picked as that is one of my problems - where to put it. Between radar detector, forward facing camera, and GPS, the front of my truck is pretty electronic heavy. linzman - Is this what you have? http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...p-system/55960 It got good reviews but it is really expensive!
Yes, I was lucky. It came with the trailer. Expensive for what it is, but I like it. I have an F150 and bought a mount a while back fans it mounts right on my dash.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:51 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

This is the one I bought -
Amazon Amazon

Works pretty well. I had a few close calls in the space of a couple of weeks and decided that I didn't want to have to argue my side of the accident should it happen. For $179 I think it is great insurance.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:04 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

that's a great f'ing idea... does it have a hard-wired power option? cigarette lighter or usb?
Old 10-20-2014, 06:15 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ninjabones
that's a great f'ing idea... does it have a hard-wired power option? cigarette lighter or usb?
It plugs into the cigarette lighter but I have been thinking about hard wiring it. The plug into the side of the unit is the older (larger) USB plug so I was going to play with the wires at some point and hope I don't kill the unit with some faulty wiring.

Quick Reply: Trailer backup cameras? Wireless?