Sponsored by:

Sparco Ergo seats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:55 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts
Default Sparco Ergo seats?

Any shops in the North-east where I could try a Sparco Ergo (removable halo) seat? Seems Stable Energies doesn't carry Sparco seats.

http://www.ogracing.com/sparco-ergo-...ss-racing-seat

Anyone has this seat and willing to PM me their seat size (S, M, L) and their body measurements?

Anyone has this seat fit into a 996 (GT3) or a 997 (GT3)? Any modifications needed or is it a plug 'n play fit?

Anyone has this seat and coming to Limerock soon?

Any downside to having halos in a roll-over with only a half-cage (roll-bar)?

(Currently running with Euro GT3 buckets and considering replacing them with Sparco Ergo.)
Old 04-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

HF1:
Unless you are under 5'5" and 120lbs, that rules out the small. At 5'11" 165 lbs, I fit in a medium. I've seen on installed in a 997.2 GT3RS with full interior and and the Porsche club sport cage. The large is definitely for those over 6'2" and 200 lbs.

The seat will bolt in using BK adapters and Sparco sliders. If you have any questions, give us a call at 800.934.9112 or shoot me a PM.

Kind regards,
Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Any shops in the North-east where I could try a Sparco Ergo (removable halo) seat? Seems Stable Energies doesn't carry Sparco seats.

Anyone has this seat and willing to PM me their seat size (S, M, L) and their body measurements?

Anyone has this seat fit into a 996 (GT3) or a 997 (GT3)? Any modifications needed or is it a plug 'n play fit?

(Currently running with Euro GT3 buckets and considering replacing them with Sparco Ergo.)
I recommend Mark at OG. If you guess wrong on the size it will cost you about $100 in shipping it back. I couldn't find anyone close here in TX to go try one.

That said, the Ergo is both larger and smaller than the popular Sparco Evo. The Ergo has a very straight seat pan and the front of the seat isn't much wider than the back. The EVO spreads out quite a bit. This is important in a street car with an interior because the tranny tunnel comes into play (at least it does on a BMW E36 M3). The bottom line, is the inside seat space is larger on the Ergo than the EVO for a given floor footprint.

I'm 5'7", 250lb. Being short, I'm "blessed" with the torso of a basketball player and my biggest problem was getting shoulder holes high enough. The Ergo M was too small for me because the back was too short. The Ergo L fits me perfectly. For reference, I fit in an Evo US except the shoulder holes are too low. I also fit in a Recaro Pole Position, but the shoulder holes are too low. If you are skinner than me, and the shoulder holes are correct in those two seats, I'm guessing Ergo M. If the shoulder holes are too low, Ergo L and possible cushions if the seat is too wide for you. The Ergo M is quite a bit smaller and easier to fit in the car than the the Ergo L.

I drive my car to the track and the Ergo is more comfortable than the BMW stock seats. Other people who have sat in them comment on how comfortable they are. I have two Ergo L installed. The driver's side is on a slider.

The halos work well. They are smaller than permanent halos and they are easy to attach and remove. I got lazy and left them on and realized they are a hazard. During the day they are fine, as it is easy to look around them, but at night, such as when driving to the track in the morning, being black with a black interior they create a nasty blind spot because you can't see them to know to look around them. After cutting off a few people I've gone back to removing them on the street.

I've only got a roll bar and still have the stock non-removable steering wheel and I can comfortably get in and out of the car.

If you really want plug and play, consider the GT3 seats. There may be other mounting options I don't know about. In the BMW it was far from plug and play but worth it. After making them fit, I fully understand why the GT3 seats command the price that they do.

For the size of the halos, here is Andy Lally schooling me on how fast my car could go at TWS last November:

-Mike
Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

The Pro Shop at New Jersey Motorsports Park should have the Med and Large on display. They added seats to the shop this year. Call them to make sure what they have on display prior to going there.

Bill
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 04-11-2014, 05:31 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
The seat will bolt in using BK adapters and Sparco sliders. If you have any questions, give us a call at 800.934.9112 or shoot me a PM.
Thanks Mark and everyone else for the feedback! Much appreciated. I'll arrange a seat-test and make up my mind soon.

Assuming I have the correct adapters and sliders (parts numbers?) how complicated is the installation compared to putting the Euro 6GT3 seats in/out (which I can do w/o problem myself)?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:04 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

BTW, great seats...I have them and absolutely love them!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:07 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I JUST listed a Sparco ProADV on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271455110282?item=271455110282&viewitem=&vxp=mtr
Old 05-31-2014, 07:34 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 606 Posts

HF1:
Unless you are under 5'5" and 120lbs, that rules out the small. At 5'11" 165 lbs, I fit in a medium. I've seen on installed in a 997.2 GT3RS with full interior and and the Porsche club sport cage. The large is definitely for those over 6'2" and 200 lbs.

Kind regards,
Are you being serious about 5'5" and 120lbs being the limit for Sparco Ergo Small?

I'm 5'8", 145lbs and 29-30" waist, and can't decide if I should order M or S size. I cannot find it to try locally - several shops have my number to call me when they have them, but alas. One has large, but it's obviously too large.

I fit in Sparco Circuit II fine, except holes could be lower and bottom cushion is cutting into the knees just a bit, but the butt area is as narrow as it should be. So Circuit II would work for me and something just a little bit smaller would be even better. A bit bigger would be a workable compromise.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-01-2014, 12:22 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Are you being serious about 5'5" and 120lbs being the limit for Sparco Ergo Small?

I'm 5'8", 145lbs and 29-30" waist, and can't decide if I should order M or S size. I cannot find it to try locally - several shops have my number to call me when they have them, but alas. One has large, but it's obviously too large.

I fit in Sparco Circuit II fine, except holes could be lower and bottom cushion is cutting into the knees just a bit, but the butt area is as narrow as it should be. So Circuit II would work for me and something just a little bit smaller would be even better. A bit bigger would be a workable compromise.

Any thoughts?
Well, I'm 5'7" and considerably over 145lbs and I can fit my wide butt into an Ergo Medium. Would have likely stayed with the medium if the shoulder holes had been higher. If I sit on a flat bench, my shoulders are about 23" up, as most of my "height" is in my torso not my legs. The large is considerably larger than the medium. IIRC, the shoulder holes on the large are a good 2.5" higher than the medium. Also, the seat depth on the large is about 1.5" deeper than the medium.

My gut feeling is you may fit in a small, although I've never seen one. One thing to keep in mind is if you ever want someone else to drive your car, the small may be too small for them. If, when you sit in the large, the seat depth is a bit too much, and the shoulder holes are 2" high then a medium may work. I can't help you much with seat width. The medium is narrower than the large.

Worst comes to worst, if you buy it from the right place you'll only be out about $100 in shipping if you pick wrong. It's easy enough to try out one of these seats for fit by just putting the unmounted seat on your sofa and giving it a test sit.

I love my Ergo Larges. I've been daily driving the car and other than getting in and out they are much more comfortable than the stockers. The bolt on halos work well and I get compliments from instructors on the setup. The extra wide headrests give protection from the roll bar on the street. I've got the seats, Schroth 6 points, roll bar, front full interior, heat/ac, factory H/K stereo - it's about as good as dual-purpose HPDE car can get.

-Mike
Old 06-02-2014, 02:13 PM
YesIFit
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,
where in TX are you? I'm looking at ordering one of these in L and can't find one to sit in. I'm 6'8, 225 (36" waist), so I need something with high harness holes and where the top of the halo isn't down around my cheeks. I've been looking at this and the RaceTech.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:00 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by YesIFit
Mike,
where in TX are you? I'm looking at ordering one of these in L and can't find one to sit in. I'm 6'8, 225 (36" waist), so I need something with high harness holes and where the top of the halo isn't down around my cheeks. I've been looking at this and the RaceTech.
I'm just south of Houston, although I'll be at TWS in College Station next weekend.

I don't know if it will help, but I've attached a side by side pic of the Ergo M vs the Ergo L. The L is wider, deeper and the shoulder holes, headrest, and halos are considerably higher. For me, the width and shoulder hole height is perfect, but the halos could be lower as they cover the top 1/2 of my helmet.

BTW, that piece of tape on the the left thigh bolster on the medium was my estimation of the increased width of the large vs the medium based on published specs.

At nearly 7', you will likely need the large and have the thing mounted down on the floor.

-Mike
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2014, 03:22 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

Here's a link to the seat page showing all the measurement for the 3 sizes of Ergo seats OG Racing

Bill
Old 06-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

YesIfit:
If you can hook up with Mike to test fit his seat, also try it with the cushion removed. You are 6'8". Is your height more in your legs, or your torso? If the Ergo Large isn't tall enough for you, two other seats consider are the OMP HTE XL, or the Racetech RT4009WTHR. Info in the links below.

http://www.ogracing.com/omp-hte-r-xl-racing-seat

http://www.ogracing.com/racetech-rt4...cing-seat-tall

If you have any questions, please give us a call at 800-934-9112 and we will be happy to assist you.

Kind regards,
Old 06-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

6'8" makes me think that IF it would work, it would be without the seat pad. The Ergo seems to have a relatively low shoulder harness hole. That is purely subjective though.

I have one that is going into my car currently. Seat fits great. 5'8 170 Medium seat. But I will use it without the cushion. My wife who is 5'4 will use it with the cushion.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:53 PM
YesIFit
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I'm just south of Houston, although I'll be at TWS in College Station next weekend.

At nearly 7', you will likely need the large and have the thing mounted down on the floor.

-Mike
Thanks, but I'm instructing with TDE ate MSRC this weekend. I have an e36 also with the VAC floor mounts, so it should be pretty much on the floor.

YesIfit:
If you can hook up with Mike to test fit his seat, also try it with the cushion removed. You are 6'8". Is your height more in your legs, or your torso? If the Ergo Large isn't tall enough for you, two other seats consider are the OMP HTE XL, or the Racetech RT4009WTHR. Info in the links below.

http://www.ogracing.com/omp-hte-r-xl-racing-seat

http://www.ogracing.com/racetech-rt4...cing-seat-tall
Thanks. I've looked at both of those seats as well. Even though I'm tall, I'm actually pretty well proportioned between legs and torso. My car currently has a Corbeau FX1 Pro Wide in it, but it's a bit too wide and I also want a halo seat as I start racing. I've looked at all three of the seats and tried to compare measurements (as well as I can, as some list in MM and some list in inches) and have come up with the following, all in MM:

Height(total height) / Width(seat bottom total) / Width(seat bottom inner)

Corbeau FX1 Pro Wide -
952/560/482
Sparco Ergo L -
1020/520/370
RaceTech 4009HR WT -
910/510/420
OMP HTE-R XL -
920/530/415
That makes the Sparco the tallest, but also the narrowest. I'm fairly skinny (36' waist), but no bean pole either (former ball player). I've done extended time in someone else's car that had an old Sparco Pro 2000 in it, and while it was much shorter, it didn't seem to pull down on me too bad and make the shoulders sore. However, it was too narrow and my stints went something like this:

30 minutes in - "This seat is a little tight in the hips ... I wish it were a bit wider."
1 hour in - "Ok, this isn't very comfortable."
1.5 hours in - "This is downright miserable."
2 hours in - "Get me the eff out of this car!"

- Ross

Last edited by YesIFit; 06-02-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Sparco Ergo seats?