Sponsored by:

Session Analysis Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 12:09 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Session Analysis Ideas

As a new track season approaches, I've been thinking about becoming a little more thoughtful in my approach to making some improvements in my driving and in tweaking the setup of my car. I usually jot down some notes at the end of an event. But I'd like to try to be a little more analytical and thorough. Do any of you want to share your own ways of recording information after a session or an event? And what you do with the information afterwards? I know this can get very involved and sophisticated. I'm not looking for the sort of information a full race support crew could could provide. I'm just an old DE guy trying to get a little faster.

And, yes, I have data and video and I'm learning how to use them...slowly.

Last edited by Beantown Kman; 04-04-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:23 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Email me. I am traveling today, but I use someting very effective, and sometimes use it (with excellent results) with clients, too. I will respond to email when changing planes.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:05 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I recommend that you look at data between sessions. You will be much more successful if you can identify something to work on in two or three areas of the track and try it, then review the results. Waiting to look at data after the event is not productive at all.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

VR-- Email sent

Jerry-- Good suggestion. But what about tire and suspension notes or analysis. Does this get driven from the data?
Old 04-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I have a map and analysis page that I use as a driver debrief after the session. It gives you a chance to record your thoughts and what the car is doing well, along with a map to mark specific things like turn in points, brake markers, etc. Email me and I'll shoot you one for NHMS.

Jerry is spot on - you need to review data after the session, before going back out. This will let you see what you are doing well and what can improve. Then choose three things to go out and work on.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:16 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
But what about tire and suspension notes or analysis. Does this get driven from the data?
The most common IT deficit with data is that the particulars of the logged session are not included in the notes/setup area of the logged session file.

Expanding on what Matt says, the CONDITIONS and the current STATE of TRIM of the car (tire pressures cold/hot, ride height, shock settings, sway bar settings) for each data run should be noted, either on a paper sheet to be transferred to the notes section of the data logged later OR directly to the logged data file itself. A lot of folks use a simple Excel or Numbers spreadsheet

Traqmate/AIM/Race Technology and MoTeC all have areas for this. In AIM and MoTeC, there is a powerful search engine that allows searches for runs that have particular attributes, which saves time.

The settings of the car should not drive the data. The data is a tool to validate the loose nut behind the wheel! Lol!

What you want is first, to remember what settings were on the car when the data indicates that rare achievement of "flowing brilliance" (thanks, Bruce MacInnes!) and second, to make calculated, specific and TARGETED single changes to the car (and larger ones than you might think so you can SEE and FEEL a difference) and then measure to see if there was/was not an improvement.

The key is keeping a record. Have fun!

Here is a sample sheet I use for driver downloads:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
DIS Session Analysis.pdf (11.9 KB, 124 views)
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 04-04-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Matt-- Email sent. Thank you!

Peter-- Great suggestion. Seems so obvious but I never would have even thought of doing that. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Session Analysis Ideas