Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 02:29 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Even Bernie is unhappy:

http://cars.aol.co.uk/2014/03/18/ecc...se-back-to-f1/

If you tuned in to Sunday's opening GP in Melbourne and were disappointed by the vacuum-cleaner noises of the new turbocharged 1.6-litre cars, it seems you weren't the only one.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has said that investigations are to get underway to find ways of making the new, hybrid-powered machines sound more like racing cars, after Australian Grand Prix organisers threatened to sue for breach of contract.

Ron Walker, chairman of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) had complained that a lack of aural drama from the cars could affect future ticket sales.

Speaking to Melbourne's The Age newspaper, he said that the noise was "not what we paid for" and that the issue would affect "promoters all around the world".

Ecclestone himself has long been opposed to the switch from naturally aspirated V8 engines to greener V6 turbocharged units, and after the Melbourne race said: "I was not horrified by the noise, I was horrified by the lack of it. And I was sorry to be proved right with what I've said all along; these cars don't sound like racing cars," reported The Telegraph.

He continued: "I've been speaking with Jean (Todt – FIA president) this afternoon and what I've said is that we need to see whether there is some way of making them sound like racing cars.

"I don't know whether it's possible but we should investigate. I think let's get the first few races out of the way and then maybe look to do something. We can't wait all season. It could be too late by then."

Ecclestone confimed that he had been contacted by a couple of promoters who were unhappy over the lack of noise. Ferrari president Luca di Montezemelo has also been inundated with unhappy emails over the issue.

Walker added: "We (the AGPC) are an entertainment company and we have to entertain the public. Everybody was talking about it. When you take the excitement away, you have trouble selling tickets. You have to create demand, and part of that demand is people liking the noise of the race cars. We are resolving that with Bernie. It's clearly in breach of our contract. I was talking to him last night (Sunday) and it's not what we paid for. It's going to change."
Old 03-20-2014, 03:35 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Can we mandate that the endurance racing cars make more noise too? Even though the current RSRs are forced to run mufflers they sound infinitely better than those sacrilegious diesel things Volkswagen is racing...much better than the 919 too..
Old 03-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Maybe F1 is following the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

If the current mandated fuel flow rate has caused the teams to turn down the revs to save fuel, then that ruins the racing. Pretty boring to watch the drivers spend half the race just trying to conserve fuel and run parade laps.

Hopefully the FIA will make some changes before Malaysia.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:46 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

As Bernie said it takes an army of trucks and planes to move the F1 show - and they are worried about 20 cars for a couple of hours .

I wish Bernie was younger and just broke F1 away from FIA and gave them the shaft . And go to a let the manufacturers race again format .

For me it looks like yet another set of shadows sets in on F1 .
Old 03-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope the promoters do sue, probably the only way to move things in the right direction.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:09 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Its funny now that you mention it. If they want to be a greener series, leave the cars alone and manage the fuel flow rates on the cargo planes, buses, semis, limousines and helicopters...
Old 03-21-2014, 11:59 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,369 Likes on 1,996 Posts

No one even mentions that these cars are easier to drive now.... A full 2.5 seconds slower than last year and close to GP2 times! Is it any wonder the new drivers are doing so well? It used to be a rookie would need a few seasons under their belts to be quick like a veteran. The distinction between drivers is less because they are not going flat out for 2 straight hours like they used to.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:55 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I wish Bernie was younger and just broke F1 away from FIA and gave them the shaft . And go to a let the manufacturers race again format .
Bernie's going to jail.

As far as the sound of the cars go, I think the Brits would use the term "flatulent"--I think they simply sound like crap.

Gary

Quick Reply: Australian GP organizers threaten suit over bad sounding cars