Sponsored by:

The latest in long trailer ramps

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014 | 09:21 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Scott
I like your idea about hinging them and the blocks under the rear wheels of the truck. How do you attach the ramps to your door?
I used large hinges to attach the wood ramps to the ramp door. When thee are unfolded, they hang just off the end of the ramp door so that they sit flush. Sounds like you have some good suggestions. I'm sure you'll find a solution.
Old 03-17-2014 | 09:23 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Intentionally or agriculturally?
Looks like it would be hard(er) to do.
You?
Mine is removable.
Old 03-17-2014 | 11:19 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by M_Weining
Rick Be sure to touch base with Fred at Reverse Logic. He's is very helpful, and sometimes has custom Race Ramps ramps in stock that can accommodate very low cars. The Progressive option is very cool. Plus 10% off right now per their website. Give him a call with your dimensions and he'll send you a file showing you different options and how much clearance you will have all the way up the ramp. http://www.reverselogic.us/ 216-235-8584 Mark
I spoke with Race Ramps and they were very helpful, but their custom guy is at a show all week, meaning they wouldn't be able to get right to this until (maybe) too late for my first haul.
I checked Eric's source, Reverse Logic, which sells a customized version of Race Ramps as noted by Eric. Just the ticket.
Fred, the owner, was amazingly helpful. Talked to me tonight from his car, told me which measurements to take, ran his configuration spreadsheet, told me which to order, provides free shipping and 10% off (for limited time).
Since they are not really custom in the sense of a new design, he can order them from race Ramps tomorrow. And the progressive feature means 114" not 140" long.
Awesome service.
I'll report further once I receive and test them.
Old 03-18-2014 | 12:20 AM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Old 03-18-2014 | 12:34 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

New Cayman needs new trailer ramps. LONG trailer ramps.
I will probably go with Race Ramps but the timing will be tight to get them here befor VIR event. I need approximately 9" high at the trailer door end, and 140" long. Race Ramps can make those but timing is tight (to their credit, they have been very accommodating).
I seem to recall that Buffalo Speed Enterprises is an alternative but can't find them on the Internet.
Other than lumber, are there other suppliers of long race ramps to consider?
Thanks
I have a slammed cayman with the body motion front splitter.

Make the ramps in 2 pieces so they are easier to haul around.

Second, take and jack the trailer up a bit to take some angle away. Also what I did was made a ramp that is 2 inches tall and then i drive onto the ramps. It ties away the angle. Works with my cup car too without removing the splitter.
Old 03-18-2014 | 08:30 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

You don't need to unhitch to jack the trailer up.

Merely jack it and the back of the truck up as far as it wants to go.
Old 03-18-2014 | 08:59 AM
J Smith
Rennlist Member

...I seem to recall that Buffalo Speed Enterprises is an alternative but can't find them on the Internet....
Yep, the B.S.E. ramps are awesome. Unfortunately, they went out of business a few years ago.
I had them on my old trailer, but they went along with it when I sold it.
I then stumbled upon a new, unopened set of them at my local trailer dealer (covered in dust in some remote corner) and was lucky enough to grab them for my new trailer.
They may have another set. If anyone is interested, PM me.
Old 03-18-2014 | 10:36 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

i have a set of BSE dragster long ramps (12 feet) on my shelving waiting for a new trailer to go on. they are awesome. strong, long, fold up tight, light weight.
too bad they went out of business and im shocked that noone has come up with an alternative.
you should look around for dragster solutions. those thingts are so long and low to the ground they incur the same issues you run into.

but if you can get a set of buffalo ramps, you'll do pretty well.
Old 03-18-2014 | 10:58 AM
J Smith
Rennlist Member

Confirmed that my dealer does have one set of BSE ramps left...probably the last new set in the country.
Not cheap ($950), but well worth the cost IMO.
Old 03-18-2014 | 11:29 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Default Never tried it but . . .

If you have a ramp door an not individual ramps (to fall off of), could you use a winch and a set of these car movers on the front wheels (to get extra clearance)? The winch the car into the trailer then drop back on front wheels.

Just "spit balling" ideas.

Old 03-18-2014 | 11:35 AM
mcipseric
Rennlist Member

a dovetail trailer might help if you don't already have one.
Old 03-18-2014 | 12:08 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by J Smith
Confirmed that my dealer does have one set of BSE ramps left...probably the last new set in the country.
Not cheap ($950), but well worth the cost IMO.
Those will go fast; too bad the manufacturer went out of business.
Race Ramps look like a good solution, though, and I am happy they are ordered and on their way. The Progressive Incline feature from Reverse Logic's version (thank you, eric!) looks particularly brilliant.
I'll post after I receive and test them. Just in time for my first event.
Old 03-18-2014 | 12:19 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but im not a huge fan of race ramps if you're going to drive on. we had an issue a few years ago, driving on, a bit too much gas, kicked out the ramp, door fell down that 3 inches, front splitter got whacked up. if using a winch, great.
but if you apply gas, that ramp is not connected to the door and can go flying (same as wood). infact, worse than wood becaus ethe race ramp material has a ton of grip, grabs the tire and bang, otu she goes.
we turned around and drilled a hole in the race ramp flange, and the door, and just dropped a pin in there to kepe the race ramp 'connected' to the door temporarily when we were loading. it was like a big bolt with a massive head on it. didnt do much but keep the ramp from kicking out.
Old 03-18-2014 | 12:42 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by spg993tt
not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but im not a huge fan of race ramps if you're going to drive on. we had an issue a few years ago, driving on, a bit too much gas, kicked out the ramp, door fell down that 3 inches, front splitter got whacked up. if using a winch, great.
but if you apply gas, that ramp is not connected to the door and can go flying (same as wood). infact, worse than wood becaus ethe race ramp material has a ton of grip, grabs the tire and bang, otu she goes.
we turned around and drilled a hole in the race ramp flange, and the door, and just dropped a pin in there to kepe the race ramp 'connected' to the door temporarily when we were loading. it was like a big bolt with a massive head on it. didnt do much but keep the ramp from kicking out.
Thanks; its always good to know these things. Good idea re the 'pin.'
I do have a winch now but who knows if I'll always use it.
Old 03-18-2014 | 03:14 PM
jcs_911
Racer

Why does everything need to be so complicated
Just sell me the Supercup Cayman and be done with it.... for cheap I mean.

Quick Reply: The latest in long trailer ramps