Level 5 withdraws from TUSCC

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:15 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Level 5 withdraws from TUSCC

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/sport...aws-from-tusc/

Despite having come out on top in last month’s Rolex 24 at Daytona, Level 5 Motorsports has withdrawn from the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship with immediate effect.

The four-time American Le Mans Series class champions, which fielded a pair of Ferrari 458 Italia GT3 cars in the new-for-2014 GTD category, scored its first class victory at Daytona with drivers Bill Sweedler, Townsend Bell, Jeff Segal, Alessandro Pier Guidi and team owner Scott Tucker.

While having initially planned to continue through the 11-round TUDOR Championship with at least one Ferrari for Sweedler and Bell, team manager David Stone made the decision to pull the plug on the program Monday.

“The decision was 100 percent my responsibility,” Stone said. “Scott Tucker has placed all operational responsibilities and decisions squarely on my shoulders. Based on various reasons, it’s my opinion that participation in the TUDOR Championship for 2014 is not in the best interest of Level 5.

“I want to be really clear that I’m not trying to be negative or disrespectful of the TUDOR Championship. I have no ill will or negativity against them. They need to do what they feel is right for them, just as I must do the same for Level 5.”

Stone said there were a number of factors that went into his decision, including IMSA’s ruling at the Rolex 24 that initially penalized the race-leading No. 555 Ferrari for avoidable contact.

The No. 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Audi R8 LMS crew celebrated as winners in victory lane, with IMSA reversing the penalty and awarding Level 5 the win nearly four hours after the checkered flag.

“It was my opinion we should not have been [in the TUDOR Championship] in 2014 to begin with because of it being a development year for the series,” Stone said. “As was apparent, the time fame it was taking for them to provide rules, driver rankings, etc led me to believe they’ve got their hands full and I do not envy the position they were and are still in.

“The series needs time to sort itself out and I don’t want to be one of the participants that has to suffer through that the first year. I feel that the series has focused more on quantity than quality. The reality is you can only properly support so many teams at any given track at one time.”

Stone also attributed the series’ permitted paddock space, which has been reduced for 2014 due to the capacity grid sizes, as just one factor into their decision to withdraw.

Level 5 had interest from three customers to run in Prototype Challenge this year, but Stone said IMSA’s initial class capacity regulations released in October, along with a revision in the schedule, resulted in those prospective clients to pull out.

“I believe until racers have a voice to create a series that they want to race in, it is unlikely to change in any significant and meaningful way,” Stone said. “I feel like every team that has a full-season entry should have an elected representative from their team and there should be regular meetings with a certain list of topics to be debated, decided and voted on.

“That way, you are creating a series that’s consistent with what racers want as opposed to a sanctioning body dictating the environment. After all, we are the customers. No pun intended, but in order to arrive to that position takes stones. As long as teams cave in to the way any sanctioning body dictates, there is no rational reason to expect meaningful changes.”

While Stone said that Level 5 will unlikely return to the TUDOR Championship in any class this year, they are actively exploring customer programs for the Pirelli World Challenge, potentially with the same Ferraris that were raced at Daytona. The team will also continue to manage and support cars in Ferrari Challenge.

Additionally, Stone said they have also been approached by a few OEMs for a manufacturer-based prototype effort that would likely start off as an engine development program. He declined to disclose a possible time frame for such a project but said it could involve participation in the FIA World Endurance Championship, TUDOR Championship or European Le Mans Series.

“Right now, it’s a reorganization and reshuffle of Level 5 to do what is sensible for the team,” he said. “If the right opportunity presents itself to start another race-winning operation, then we would consider doing that. Our options are wide open.”

As for the future of Sweedler and Bell, who currently lead the GTD drivers’ championship, it’s understood the duo will continue in the class with a to-be-announced program.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:40 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Bummer. I do not like Ferrari but I do like having them there to root against!

Going to be an interesting year at Tudor.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Ouch.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:48 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Gainsco pulled out as well but for other reasons.

Sucks for the drivers who now have to scramble for drives as most teams have solidified their 2014 plans.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:30 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chas911
Gainsco pulled out as well but for other reasons.

Sucks for the drivers who now have to scramble for drives as most teams have solidified their 2014 plans.
+1 And the crews!!
Old 02-27-2014, 10:27 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Why did Gainsco pull out????
Old 02-27-2014, 10:38 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Why did Gainsco pull out????
Focus on the health of Gidley and other factors
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014...SCAR/140229901

Don't look for the No. 99 Gainsco/Bob Stallings Racing Corvette Daytona Prototype at any more IMSA Tudor United SportsCar Championship races in 2014.
The team announced on Monday that following the crash that saw driver Memo Gidley suffer severe injuries at this year's Rolex 24 at Daytona, Gainsco/Bob Stallings Racing has elected to suspend operations for the balance of the 2014 season.
“It is with great regret that we will have to suspend operations for the balance of the 2014 season,” said team owner Bob Stallings. “Since Daytona, priority one for us has been on Memo's recovery. Everyone on the team has been focused on his care and comfort, and it has meant the world to see such support from the fans and the racing community at large. Even though Memo has a long road ahead, the worst is behind him, and it has allowed us to step back and take a look at the program at large. With both the personal and economic strain this has put on us, we feel it's in the best interest of everyone to sit out this year, with a firm focus on a return in 2015.”
The strain of Gidley's recovery, combined with the destruction of the team's primary vehicle in the Gidley accident and the financial requirements to continue in the Tequila Patrón North American Endurance Championship, the organization felt it was in the best interest to sit the year out. All drivers -- including Darren Law, Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty -- and crew have been released for opportunities available with other teams. Gurney and Fogarty finished third in the 2013 Grand-Am Series DP points chase last year.
While the team's No. 99 “Red Dragon” will be absent this year, this will also position Gainsco/Bob Stallings Racing to focus efforts on an improved 2015. With the 2014 season continuing to be an evolutionary year for the new series, the break will allow for the team to take an evaluational look at their best options for next year.
Gainsco/Bob Stallings Racing, as well as Bob Stallings, will continue to look after Gidley's recovery, and the team will continue to provide updates during the Californian's recuperation.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014...#ixzz2uX89mkGX
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 02-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Bob. So it's money...
Old 02-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

http://www.motorsport.com/tusc/news/...4-imsa-events/
Old 02-27-2014, 12:53 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Thanks, Bob. So it's money...
Isn't it always?

Here's my take, using the Level 5 announcement and things I've heard from other teams as perspective: their car is basically totalled, and it would cost a lot of money in a very short period of time to get to Sebring and continue a full season. Not only are they dealing with that, but TUDOR is constantly changing things, constant/last minute BIG changes that make it difficult to keep up with. Combine the two, and they probably feel there is no way to comfortably put out a quality effort that they are 100% confident and comfortable with.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts

Have they indicted Scott Tucker yet?
Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
Isn't it always?

Here's my take, using the Level 5 announcement and things I've heard from other teams as perspective: their car is basically totalled, and it would cost a lot of money in a very short period of time to get to Sebring and continue a full season. Not only are they dealing with that, but TUDOR is constantly changing things, constant/last minute BIG changes that make it difficult to keep up with. Combine the two, and they probably feel there is no way to comfortably put out a quality effort that they are 100% confident and comfortable with.
I hate to see these teams go, but there probably is some sound logic I letting the series figure itself out.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:53 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I personally would rather see teams try to fix the system from within versus taking their ball and going home. It never set well with me what TRG would pull out and demand concessions over the years. And this doesn't set well with me either. However, I've never been a fan of Level5 so I can't say that I really care that they are leaving. I just feel bad for the drivers and employees.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I personally would rather see teams try to fix the system from within versus taking their ball and going home. It never set well with me what TRG would pull out and demand concessions over the years. And this doesn't set well with me either. However, I've never been a fan of Level5 so I can't say that I really care that they are leaving. I just feel bad for the drivers and employees.
Tucker is a scumbag but I respect that Level5 is saying enough is enough in regards to the constant flux that is SOP in the United SportsCar Championship.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:41 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 VIP MEMBERSHIP &
ANNUAL HARD CREDENTIAL PACKAGE

ANNUAL HARD CARD PACKAGE
Each Package shall be $6,750 US dollars (“Package Fee”) and shall consist of five (5) IMSA VIP Membership/License & five (5) Annual Credentials (“Package”)
Please select the number of Packages being purchased

1 Package $6,750

2 Packages $13,500

3 Packages $20,250

4 Packages $27,000

5 Packages $33,750

OUCH

Quick Reply: Level 5 withdraws from TUSCC