Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can You Guys Help Out An Idiot Like Me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014 | 11:04 PM
rooibos1986
6th Gear

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
That PDF is super helpful. Thank-you. Will go out to practice as well. It helps when you can focus on just practicing and staying safe - rather than the stress of "I need to get over into the other lane", etc., I always felt it was really dangerous for me to crank my head and take my eyes off the road.

I just get confused - especially at night - when I see bright lights, or wonder how fast a car is coming up behind me. That's what makes driving here so dangerous. Up where I was before, drivers would pass you relatively slow - like maybe 5-10mph faster than you. Here in Southern California, they love to blow by you at 100mph.
Old 02-26-2014 | 11:24 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Old 02-27-2014 | 11:09 AM
rooibos1986
6th Gear

I'm seeing really conflicting information. Lots of driving sites say to never rely on your mirrors to check your blind spots, but your doc says never to look over your shoulder. Prevailing opinion seems to be check your shoulder. Does everyone here disagree?

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2014 | 12:54 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

I always use my mirrors. you just don't want to take your eyes off of what is in front of you.

its the peripheral vision that you need to develop, and trust your mirrors. its hard to trust them at first.

HPDE will help.

at night its surely harder. a tinted rear mirror or, rear glass help. I'll also use the yellow 'shooting' glasses to help with that. especially in the rain.

moving your neck just takes too long, moving your eyes nano seconds. plus with a hans you can't turn you head enough.

Someone posted about driving faster and picking your spots. THAT! & use the gas as you merge not the brake.

you sir, have a momentum car.
Everyone here can do what you need to do. you'll need some training, practice and eventually you'll have the Mad skillz

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 02-27-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-27-2014 | 02:19 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

3 pages on how to change lanes on the highway... in the Racing and DE forum.... only on Rennlist!
Old 02-27-2014 | 02:36 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

yeah, I'm guilty....

but I'll always try to help someone if they want to 'Drive Fast!'
Old 02-27-2014 | 03:02 PM
blackbull
Racer

IMHO the key to the entire concept of driving is Situational Awareness!!!
Basically, and as was mentioned above, constantly check all three mirrors.
You should know: A) How many cars are around me?? B) What kind of cars are they & how "fast" are they?? C) How far away are they??
This gives "pre-danger" signals that allow you to maneuver quickly to avoid collision etc.
Old 02-27-2014 | 03:23 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

You'll get used to it. I remember being in high school and driving through Pomona at rush hour. Traffic was moving at 75 mph and the cars were like 20 feet apart.! I thought it was crazy. Add in the number of a-holes behind the wheel and it can be anxiety/anger-provoking.

I always drive in the far left/fast lane down. In most places there is a shoulder or a carpool lane to the left that gives you an "out". At the very least you won't have to worry about people crashing your lane from both sides. Look well down the road and give yourself plenty of time to get over for your exit.... SoCal drivers aren't exactly known for being courteous.
Old 03-02-2014 | 12:03 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Karen, is that you???
Nope, I'm right here

Quick Reply: Can You Guys Help Out An Idiot Like Me?