Sponsored by:

AiM question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 876 Posts
Default AiM question

Folks, I have a client who has a very nice AiM dash. In the lower right, laptimes are currently displayed (good) but they only appear for about 5 seconds and then disappear until the next lap (bad).

I have never had to change this setting for a client before...I know there is a way to select the amout of time each lap time is displayed...how do I increase it for this client?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:22 PM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Which Dash?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Sorry...MXL
Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,006 Likes on 601 Posts

You need to go into Race Studio (not analysis), then choose "Device Configuration, then display tab, then change the obscruring time to the amount of time you want. I usually figure around 15 seconds is good and works at almost all tracks.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2014, 09:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

15-20 seconds is good.

The screen Matt shows is assuming you're using the computer used originally to configure the dash and logger.

I recommend you connect the dash, open race studio 2, select device configuration, select MXL, then select "Receive" in the top central section of the screen.

This sucks the configuration that is in the dash/logger down so you can make the change Matt suggests and then, make SURE you select "Transmit" at the top central section of the screen to send the change back to the dash/logger.

It will give you a warning that it will clear any logged data if you Transmit the altered configuration. If you want the data, download that first. If not (or if you've pulled it already), Transmit and you're done!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Aha! Thanks to both of you! No, we do NOT have the computer that originally configured the screen, so we will have to do it from mine.

THANK YOU!!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No problem. It's best to load the latest RS2 (2.53.00) and the latest GPS Manager (2.02.10) on your computer first from here: http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/download/software.htm
Old 02-24-2014, 10:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yes, I know I need to do that anyway, thanks...
Old 02-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Caddell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Folks, I have a client who has a very nice AiM dash. In the lower right, lap times are currently displayed (good) but they only appear for about 5 seconds and then disappear until the next lap (bad).

I have never had to change this setting for a client before...I know there is a way to select the amount of time each lap time is displayed...how do I increase it for this client?

Thanks in advance!!!
Veloce, when the lap time disappears what value takes that spot?

The 'Obscuring Time' setting Matt mentioned only provides the 'blinding' of the optical lap receiver for those using trackside beacons and to solve the issue of multiple beacons set along the track by several racers. This does not effect the GPS lap times or the display of lap times on the MXL dash.

What I think is not set correctly is the box right below the 'Obscuring Time' that give you the choice of:

Show Lap Time
Show Odometer
Show Running Lap Time

To do what you want (leave the latest lap time up on the dash until you pass the Start/Finish Line again) you are asking for, select the 'Show Lap Time' choice.

Of course after changing this setting, you must transmit the configuration back into the MXL.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Caddell
Veloce, when the lap time disappears what value takes that spot?

The 'Obscuring Time' setting Matt mentioned only provides the 'blinding' of the optical lap receiver for those using trackside beacons and to solve the issue of multiple beacons set along the track by several racers. This does not effect the GPS lap times or the display of lap times on the MXL dash.

What I think is not set correctly is the box right below the 'Obscuring Time' that give you the choice of:

Show Lap Time
Show Odometer
Show Running Lap Time

To do what you want (leave the latest lap time up on the dash until you pass the Start/Finish Line again) you are asking for, select the 'Show Lap Time' choice.

Of course after changing this setting, you must transmit the configuration back into the MXL.
AHA! I think you have hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what we want! I forget what value replaces it, frankly. Some value does, I just can't recall which one. But yes, what I want is Show Lap Time.

THANK YOU!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:15 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I recommend you connect the dash, open race studio 2, select device configuration, select MXL, then select "Receive" in the top central section of the screen.

This sucks the configuration that is in the dash/logger down so you can make the change Matt suggests and then, make SURE you select "Transmit" at the top central section of the screen to send the change back to the dash/logger.

It will give you a warning that it will clear any logged data if you Transmit the altered configuration. If you want the data, download that first. If not (or if you've pulled it already), Transmit and you're done!
Peter I just tried that and after clicking on receive I got an error message stating that "Impossible to communicate with data logger". It took a minute but I finally figured out sitting at my desk taping into my Smartycam was not the same as plugging into my MXL Pista. Duh, I hope you enjoyed a good laugh....
Old 02-26-2014, 01:22 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are having a AIM seminar at Miller in march, followed by a on track half day to go over data. Hoping to have my MXL installed by then in the race car, much to learn.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Peter I just tried that and after clicking on receive I got an error message stating that "Impossible to communicate with data logger".

It took a minute but I finally figured out sitting at my desk tapping into my Smartycam was not the same as plugging into my MXL Pista.

Duh, I hope you enjoyed a good laugh....
Hahaha! That is NOT the first time I have heard of this...
Old 02-27-2014, 09:02 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If the driver is really interested in improving lap times, I'd recommend the forecast lap not the static lap. If your on a good lap it can provide the incentive to pick up the pace and get it done. If he (she) only looks at the lap once a lap it is much harder to determine what is working and what is not.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:34 AM
cetom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when the question was first asked and answered you kindof knew that obscuring time couldn't be the answer since it is the time that the beacon reader is blanked so as not to get multiple "start?finishes" as roger points out . but what i cant figure out is why the aim configuration needs to know the number of segments. is this only if you are using a beacon or is it also needed if you are using gps with gps manager splitting the track in to segments
also not to hijack this thread but can someone tell me what the box just to the right of the one in question here is suppose to be doing . it is the box with the green circle and says track width . is this the track of the vehicle or the width of the race track . is this so that the gps position "sees" a wider circumference so as to be sure that the gps coordinates are within the circumference for start/finish . motec has a similar capability. thank you

Quick Reply: AiM question