Old 03-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

The ultimate lat G is whatever the chassis, tires, track geography, etc will allow.. The braking event prior to it does not affect it once the car has taken a set in the corner. It will be what it is. This assumes you get the car to a steady state. The transient parts of the suspension movement up to the steady state (and after) can be changed by shocks, chassis tuning, driver inputs, etc.

Now. since the high end of the scale is a fixed number, we want to try and make it make everything leading up to it as high as possible. That means using all the traction we have available. Since the tire has a finite amount of traction, we can use all of it for braking, blend into corner, then all of it for corning (the traction circle theory).

If you look at lots of data, braking usually has the most time in it. For folks who have a lot of low hanging fruit, it's honestly seconds per lap. For people who are at the pointy end of the field, it can still be tenths of a second. Then the difference between the fast and really fast drivers lies in the blending of the braking event to the cornering event. That is where you see the rise and sustained height of G sum curve.

Now, I think the early, softer braking that Dave advocates is a method that helps people to make the blending of braking to cornering easier. Ultimately, it's not as fast as the later, harder braking perfectly blended into the cornering phase. The ability to brake just the right amount, at just the right time, slowing releasing as you start turning in and finally releasing all the way as the car is on the edge of spinning, is a very hard skill to master. Most of us try for this for a lifetime and only achieve it in fits and spurts. The great race drivers are able to achieve this all the time.

Many folks can do one or the other, but not combine them. That is what separates the folks who get paid to drive versus those of us who pay to drive.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:39 PM
cetom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you very much , i appreciate the conversation
Old 03-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cetom
thank you very much , i appreciate the conversation
Me too! It's great to have a group of people interested in data and driving enough to have a good conversation.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here are two graphs to show the difference it can make in time. The first shows the delta in brake distance and the second shows the time difference that it made.
Attached Images   
Old 03-28-2014, 04:37 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't think dave is advocating the slower / earlier braking just as a learning tool.

His point was to maintain balance with the car. Same as jackie Stewart said almost 40 years ago.. Doesn't mean avoiding threshold braking. It means getting there without unsettling the car. Perhaps by doing so actually slowly the car down less in the long run.

You can carry speed deeper. And carry more speed NET/NET.

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The ultimate lat G is whatever the chassis, tires, track geography, etc will allow.. The braking event prior to it does not affect it once the car has taken a set in the corner. It will be what it is. This assumes you get the car to a steady state. The transient parts of the suspension movement up to the steady state (and after) can be changed by shocks, chassis tuning, driver inputs, etc.

Now. since the high end of the scale is a fixed number, we want to try and make it make everything leading up to it as high as possible. That means using all the traction we have available. Since the tire has a finite amount of traction, we can use all of it for braking, blend into corner, then all of it for corning (the traction circle theory).

If you look at lots of data, braking usually has the most time in it. For folks who have a lot of low hanging fruit, it's honestly seconds per lap. For people who are at the pointy end of the field, it can still be tenths of a second. Then the difference between the fast and really fast drivers lies in the blending of the braking event to the cornering event. That is where you see the rise and sustained height of G sum curve.

Now, I think the early, softer braking that Dave advocates is a method that helps people to make the blending of braking to cornering easier. Ultimately, it's not as fast as the later, harder braking perfectly blended into the cornering phase. The ability to brake just the right amount, at just the right time, slowing releasing as you start turning in and finally releasing all the way as the car is on the edge of spinning, is a very hard skill to master. Most of us try for this for a lifetime and only achieve it in fits and spurts. The great race drivers are able to achieve this all the time.

Many folks can do one or the other, but not combine them. That is what separates the folks who get paid to drive versus those of us who pay to drive.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:41 PM
cetom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but matt ,i think your graphs actually are evidence against the late , hard brake . the blue line brakes later and indeed has more speed early in braking . and based on where your cursor is placed indeed blue line picks up a bit of time in a very short segment of track . but look just passed your second cursor . blue line min speed in the corner is slower than orange and orange gets on the throttle sooner , carries more speed down the whole next straight. moreover look at the slope of blue and orange as speed falls . orange is steady and straight . blue "bellies out" near the corner . blue is coming off the brakes ,is trying to modulate but still oveslows the car .
as it pertains to this discussion blue would have a more circular friction circle , but because the velocity is less at the apex i believe his max g would be less . also his Gsum would have a lower peak. but he would feel like he was fast and he would be on the outer edge of the friction circle.
all i am saying is that the holy grail of the round friction circle maybe should be rethought .
i also want to add that i am no expert and certainly not a professional , just a guy who wants to learn how to drive better and will do this with the guidance of data. i think i am reading your graphs correctly but i could be wrong
thanks
Old 03-28-2014, 07:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,675 Posts

The quickest drivers have rounder friction circles and no dip in GSum at or just before turn-in. They also achieve LongG max in a finite, measured and known time.

If you can't do that, try and develop a workflow and targeted strategy that will allow you to execute so that deficit is less. If you can't to that, after verifying that you are executing well, fix the car.

This is not rocket science, gentlemen...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-28-2014, 07:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski

Great post! Sounds familiar! <grin>
Old 03-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I don't think dave is advocating the slower / earlier braking just as a learning tool.

His point was to maintain balance with the car. Same as jackie Stewart said almost 40 years ago.. Doesn't mean avoiding threshold braking. It means getting there without unsettling the car. Perhaps by doing so actually slowly the car down less in the long run.

You can carry speed deeper. And carry more speed NET/NET.
THIS is EXACTLY what I mean. Thanks, Dan!

Perhaps I have been uncharacteristically inarticulate in this thread and/or in the article. If so, apologies. I am not advocating being a pansy under braking, nor wasting time or real estate under braking. Quite the opposite. I am trying to advocate ways that will reduce the amount of real estate at vMin, and the amount of time we are at vMin. One way to do this is to have a more balanced, stable chassis, as Dan says above. One way to do THIS is to not add so much drama to the car via that brake pedal.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
THIS is EXACTLY what I mean. Thanks, Dan!

Perhaps I have been uncharacteristically inarticulate in this thread and/or in the article. If so, apologies. I am not advocating being a pansy under braking, nor wasting time or real estate under braking. Quite the opposite. I am trying to advocate ways that will reduce the amount of real estate at vMin, and the amount of time we are at vMin. One way to do this is to have a more balanced, stable chassis, as Dan says above. One way to do THIS is to not add so much drama to the car via that brake pedal.
I was waiting for this. That's exactly how I understood it after listening to the explanation in VR's classroom.

Perhaps another way of thinking of it is the chassis "taking a set" under braking much like the chassis takes a set in a turn. Once the transition to the set has occurred one can take advantage of it. Much like turning the wheel roughly, rough application of the brake stands the car on its nose upsets this process.

Let me know if I'm out in the weeds.

-Mike
Old 03-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Not in the weeds, Mike Thanks for paying attention!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:10 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"ClubRegistration.net is proud to announce that Dave Scott, owner of RaceCoach.net, will be providing us with monthly articles. Welcome aboard Dave! Look for articles on all things track related. If you have any suggestions for future articles he can be reached at dave@racecoach.net. His first article is posted for your reading pleasure and has some great advice in it."

http://www.clubregistration.net/raceCoach/

Some of this will parallel topics seen in the Ask The Coach thread, some will be brand-new but relevant. Hopp everyone enjoys it!

Will look forward to them
Old 04-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

New article is up:

https://clubregistration.net/raceCoach/
Old 06-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Next iteration is up:

http://clubregistration.net/raceCoach/
Old 06-05-2014, 03:09 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

"Slowly adding more steering at turn-in and apex..." Sounds so familiar, like someone was just saying this to me in my helmet

Thanks again Dave

Quick Reply: New feature on ClubRegistration