Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learning Curve

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014 | 01:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
If the goal is to become a generally good driver who can drive any car on any track reasonably well, I like staying with one car in the beginning and doing various tracks, then moving to various cars on various tracks. Racing may warrant more focus on a particular car and/or track.
I think you could use this, with slight modification, about sex..
Old 02-17-2014 | 02:02 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I think you could use this, with slight modification, about sex..
Yeah, but if I tried different 'tracks' -- my equipment would be removed from my possession...... I'd soon find myself no longer in need of any tracks....

m
Old 02-17-2014 | 10:35 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

as someone only in the game for about 9 months, this is my view. i agree with everything said above. i have spent as much time as i can on my home track. i have run a few other tracks this year as well. from my perspective, it is easier to push it towards 10/10ths more on a track you have most of your experience on. however, each time i get time on another track, i come home and post better lap times. only running one track doesn't expand your skill level over time. getting exposure to different coaching is very helpful as well. did the 3 days at COTA a couple weeks ago, including some coaching from Veloce Raptor….very eager to get back on the home track as a couple more light bulbs went on. when you're as dim as me, a couple bulbs can be like stadium lights….
Old 02-19-2014 | 01:01 AM
CAM14
Instructor

In an effort to add to what has already been stated. Different people have different learning styles. Some are more visual or auditory or kinesthetic. Whatever you do, try to build on the strength of your learning style. May I also suggest that you try Auto-X and kart tracks if available in your area. Both of those will help you feel what the car/kart are supposed to feel like at the limit where the limits are easy to obtain and safe when you exceed them. If new to track days, then suggest learning and getting good at one track and then expand other tracks and configurations.

HTH
Old 02-19-2014 | 01:50 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

I'm just here for the avatar...

but on point,
I'm always focused on reference points for turns. brake zones and turn ins

personally, I do better focusing on one or two tracks, so it gets to be second nature where I brake and turn in.

I usually get a track map and write all over it, so I can remember when I go back in a few weeks or months.

also a car sheet is a good thing, air pressure out, pressure in, tire condition/brand, weather temp / slippery, etc. (camber/toe if you have that or play with it)

as long as you have nice avatars I'll keep answering...

Quick Reply: Learning Curve