Sponsored by:

$500,000 to rebuild crashed Daytona Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 12:46 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $500,000 to rebuild crashed Daytona Ferrari

Risi Competizione's red Ferrari F458 that was rear-ended by Memo Gidley's Corvette DP at the Daytona 24 Hours will have to be rebuilt from the firewall back at an estimated cost of a half-million dollars.

And the clock is ticking toward Sebring on March 15.

The F458's frame was destroyed in the crash, along with the gearbox and plenty of other expensive items behind the rear firewall. Estimates to acquire a new chassis and purchase all of the assorted replacement items fall in the $500,000 range, leading Mayer and the team's ace crew to wait for those components to appear before blending them with the salvageable pieces from the damaged car.

"The impact pushed everything forward – pushed the engine into the firewall – and broke pretty much everything around it, so there's not much there to be saved," said Risi team engineer Rick Mayer. "If there was anything positive, it's that after he was hit, he spun around and came back down and hit the rear again, so the front was mostly untouched.

"And it came down lightly for such a big impact; it was only one lateral g or something close to it so there wasn't that extra vertical forces put through the car. Everything from the driver's seat forward was pretty untouched, so we'll do crack testing on all the suspension, the brakes are probably OK, and anything else we can look at and verify will be used."

"Time's getting shorter every day, so we won't make the Sebring test (on Feb. 20-21) with the red car; we'll be there with the green [Krohn] car, and then we'll have to push to hopefully get ready for the 12 Hours," said Mayer. "We've been fast at Sebring in the past, but missing the test won't help with most of the other teams there learning while we're putting together a new car."​

http://www.racer.com/index.php/56-gr...st-crash-moves

Old 02-13-2014, 01:39 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does that imply that Risi manages the Krohn car as well? I thought that was a separate race team operated out of Road Atlanta.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

Out of curiosity, do professional race teams use any sort of track insurance? I would imagine the premiums would be astronomical but in a situations like this,....
Old 02-13-2014, 02:03 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Amazing that with a $500K repair bill they will rebuild. I figured the car would be written off and start fresh salaving whatever parts that can be saved. I guess it reflects the true value of the race ready 458's.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
does that imply that Risi manages the Krohn car as well? I thought that was a separate race team operated out of Road Atlanta.
Risi runs Ferrari's for Krohn, the GrandAM DP stuff is different and I believe was run by Nick Jonsson of Kinetic.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:56 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Out of curiosity, do professional race teams use any sort of track insurance? I would imagine the premiums would be astronomical but in a situations like this,....
In the past there was some physical damage insurance for race teams, but they had very high deductibles and premiums (duh, you say). I think one source was Dave Empringham's company (Laurel). But that was a few years back at least.
A quick Google search didn't yield any current on track race car insurance, though.
I can see why.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
In the past there was some physical damage insurance for race teams, but they had very high deductibles and premiums (duh, you say). I think one source was Dave Empringham's company (Laurel). But that was a few years back at least.
A quick Google search didn't yield any current on track race car insurance, though.
I can see why.
Thanks Rick. I should've figured you would know.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:14 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Amazing that with a $500K repair bill they will rebuild. I figured the car would be written off and start fresh salaving whatever parts that can be saved. I guess it reflects the true value of the race ready 458's.
I think the article is a bit misleading. They are replacing the frame so basically they are taking a new donor car and scabing on the salvagable parts from the wrecked car.

Ryan
Old 02-13-2014, 03:56 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Thanks Rick. I should've figured you would know.
If its risk management, I'm your guy!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:01 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had it when we ran the Mazda at Daytona 2 years ago. If I recall correctly it was roughly $50k with a $50k deductible. We were a one off deal, which I would assume resulted in higher numbers.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:49 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
I think the article is a bit misleading. They are replacing the frame so basically they are taking a new donor car and scabing on the salvagable parts from the wrecked car.

Ryan

What is the price of a new F458 GTE race car? Also, is Malucelli(458 driver at time of crash) on the hook for the $500K?

I would think that given the extent of the damage to the Daytona car, the team would purchase a new car and use the wrecked car as a parts car. The price of a new 458 must be astronomical...
Old 02-13-2014, 09:30 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What is the purse value for P1 in a racing venue where the race car cost is north or $500K? I just can't imagine..... it must be 2 or 3 times the value of the car.....
Old 02-13-2014, 09:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
What is the purse value for P1 in a racing venue where the race car cost is north or $500K? I just can't imagine..... it must be 2 or 3 times the value of the car.....
Nope...much much less, IIRC (maybe I am wrong)
Old 02-13-2014, 09:56 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry

Ryan
That makes more sense. How could that car be anything but totaled after that impact? Crazy.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:41 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nope...much much less, IIRC (maybe I am wrong)
Absolutely correct. The purses in sports car racing are paltry compared to NASCAR, Indy and F1.

In the prototype class winning Daytona and Sebring combined is something like 200k.

Just look at the dollars and cents. NASCAR fills the infield and front stretch stands. NASCAR is covered by prime networks. Walmart has NASCAR and NASCAR driver merchandise on the shelves. When was the last time you saw any Grand-Am, ALMS, or IMSA merchandise anywhere other than during a race at the track.

Sad, but true.

Ryan

Quick Reply: $500,000 to rebuild crashed Daytona Ferrari