Received 1,452 Likes on 776 Posts

Cool, Peter, +1 !!!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
My wife has a Nike Fuel Band, 2 hours of canyon driving with her as passenger and hers will read 8-10k steps. Often she's taking a nap during this. :-)
Ok you've ruined my sense of accomplishment. Thanks. :-))

As an interesting aside, if I'm riding my bicycle, I have to attach the Fitbit to my shoelaces in order for it to register any activity.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think most pedometer work by reading your up/down movement when you walk and it infers the number of "steps" from that.

When you read the number of "steps" while driving, what you're really measuring is how rough the road is, how much vibration your pedometer is measuring, not the equivalent exercise level.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,908 Likes on 1,705 Posts

I've put my Fuelband on my ankle when cycling.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 791 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Best of luck, Peter. Let us know how you do. We will encourage.
Right on. I'm not exactly svelt myself and need to work on it.

Do people like the Fuel Band or the Fit Bit better?
Old 02-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Ha! A subject near and dear to my heart! Not for the right reasons, either.

I have decided to work on me this year.
Good deal Peter!!!

I have been behaving lately to be in a better shape for racing with the resulting improvement of everyday life. I'm on Juan's not yet patented QQ Program (quantity and quality food intake management). I have read Jutley's book which is very interesting.

Since I started on 1st monday of 2014 I have dropped 23 pounds without having to work too hard on it. I am bicycling when not travelling and taking advantage of the (boring) gyms when I travel. We had to adjust my belts at Sebring!

If I can improve, with your attention to details and passion for our sport, you sure can. Bad thing is that replacement clothes get expensive...

All the best..........! (I won't be at PBIR this year but my new car will be)
Old 02-12-2014, 03:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Good deal Peter!!!

All the best..........! (I won't be at PBIR this year but my new car will be)
That QQ is working! I heard that you're a busy man! See you soon.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I'm not proud of it and it has gotten in my way of enjoying my racing so much that I have decided to work on me this year.

I can still do high :52's at Lime Rock, high :21's to mid :22's at Thunderbolt and 2:01's at VIR in a thirty year old, 150 bhp sports racer with 6" wide front, 8" wide rear slicks weighing nearly 1370 lbs with me in it.

But I can only do a few laps... That sucks. But I can fix it.
I am doing the same thing since last October. I already see a HUGE difference when skiing. I'm training 4 times a week very early in the morning before going to work, minimum 70 minutes each sessions (total time on the machines). Sometimes I skip a day and do some skiing instead, sometimes I skip a day just because I'm tired, but if you do 4 days a week, you'll see progress quite quickly. I now see skiing as a leisure, not a sport anymore!

I changed my eating habits just a bit, not by much, avoid junk food, just eating that s%!t once per month or so, and I drink alcool only on Friday and Saturday nights.

You'll be very proud of yourself if you stick to your plan. And the plan should not be to reach a certain weight objective. Your plan should be to attain a certain level of fitness and then, to keep that level stable once reached. This way, you will loose fat and keep your muscles. So you loose weight at a slow rate but gain fitness a lot.

You have to be determined.

c.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:05 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

As other have stated pedometers don't measure calories burned directly. Any reading you get from in a car are total bogus. I've owned a bunch of fitbits and they are great until you run them through the washing machine. You need a device that monitors heart rate if you wan to keep track of calories burned - which is really much more useful than knowing how many step you have taken. The are some watches that can monitor heart rate but don't work so well if you get really sweaty which is necessary to get a good work out. Losing weight and getting in shape is the best single investment you can make in yourself, do it!
Phil
Old 02-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
As other have stated pedometers don't measure calories burned directly. Any reading you get from in a car are total bogus. I've owned a bunch of fitbits and they are great until you run them through the washing machine. You need a device that monitors heart rate if you wan to keep track of calories burned - which is really much more useful than knowing how many step you have taken. The are some watches that can monitor heart rate but don't work so well if you get really sweaty which is necessary to get a good work out. Losing weight and getting in shape is the best single investment you can make in yourself, do it!
Phil
I have a Garmin 310xt for running and cycling. The Garmin watch and heart rate monitor are both waterproof (but the GPS doesn't work too well when swimming) so no worries about sweat. I question the accuracy results of my Garmin, especially cycling since it doesn't differentiate between road and mountain biking. Obviously a smooth road is a lot easier to ride/run than a loose rocky trail but it treats them the same. The Garmin appears to be a lot more sophisticated than the Nike fuel band and the fitbit. I wouldn't put too much faith in the actual numbers provided by the fuel band but it may be good to spot trends in activity.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:02 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Heh, that's my worry with the FitBit. I got one at work to try out, but I'm afraid I'd do something dumb like leave it on in the shower.

Interesting to see that it registers racecar time as steps. Part of me wants to stick it on at LeMons and see what happens then, haha. (...but I'd probably do something dumb like climb into a redneck hot tub in the paddock with it, so probably not.)
Old 02-12-2014, 06:06 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cory M
I have a Garmin 310xt for running and cycling. The Garmin watch and heart rate monitor are both waterproof (but the GPS doesn't work too well when swimming) so no worries about sweat. I question the accuracy results of my Garmin, especially cycling since it doesn't differentiate between road and mountain biking. Obviously a smooth road is a lot easier to ride/run than a loose rocky trail but it treats them the same. The Garmin appears to be a lot more sophisticated than the Nike fuel band and the fitbit. I wouldn't put too much faith in the actual numbers provided by the fuel band but it may be good to spot trends in activity.
I have a 910xt, and for a while was riding a mountain bike on the street. I then started riding on a triathlon bike. While the Garmin wasn't told which bike I was on, the calculated calorie burn is different on one than on the other. The fact that it uses your heartrate when calculating means it can tell you're putting in more effort to move that distance/elevation. It's still not going to be perfect, but it's generally good enough for most purposes. On the other hand, while the RunKeeper site can track heartrate, it doesn't use it when calculating calories burned, so the values can be quite different.

I wouldn't, however, trust it for calories burned while driving. When I log track driving with the 910 (which I've done), I tell the device the category is "other", and once the activity is uploaded, I assign it to "driving". Even so, I'm using it to judge my stress, etc. while on the track, not using it to judge calories burned. It's really interesting information, though, and I'd like to see data loggers start incorporating ANT+.

I also have a Withings Pulse (a FitBit competitor) that I leave in my pocket while at the track. It doesn't log steps while I'm on track. I still get a good number of steps on the track days, but I'm actually moving around, walking, getting from place to place a lot, those days!
Old 02-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjacoco
Heh, that's my worry with the FitBit. I got one at work to try out, but I'm afraid I'd do something dumb like leave it on in the shower.
It is waterproof. I've never taken it off in the shower and no harm.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Same with the Fuelband. I never look at the numbers as an absolute, only relatively.

I don't eat bad food, thanks to my vigilant and very trim lady partner, but obviously, too much of anything is not good. Biggest challenge? I don't move much.

For this, the Fuelband helps track activity trends, like data loggers on cars! That's good for me, but I plan to add heart rate monitoring so I can get a better measure of exertion.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

I've dropped 40 pounds over the past 2 years and have done a lot of work on my core and balance. I think it has really paid off with my driving.

On a related note, I've worn my HR monitor on the track a number of times.
Boxster, power steering etc HR=110s
Atom, no power nothing, HR high 130s.

Quick Reply: An interesting correlation between racing and physical exertion