cockpit fire nozzle placement

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 02:10 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Default cockpit fire nozzle placement

Hi Guys,

Who knows where the ideal fire suppression nozzles are placed? Can you go with one nozzle in the footwell spraying up to the driver torso or two nozzles one in the footwell one over your head or what? What is typical in a 911 cockpit? What about the engine bay? One on each side or just one over the top?

TIA
Old 07-26-2003, 03:33 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I have one in the front trunk, pointed at the gas tank and fuse box, one in the engine compartment, and one down below the steering wheel, pointed at the driver.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:31 PM
addictionms
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been told the one in the cockpit should be pointed at the passenger seat area, I guess it depends on what system you have but Halon comes out very cold and can cause problems, plus it can suffocate you. The theory I was told was point it at what ever else around you that could burn, since you are not likely to be the first thing that catch fire in the cockpit.

I have my two oil lines and my fuel lines running throught the cockpit on the passanger side, so I think I am better off having the supression pointed at them than me, I would hope, in a fire the Stainless Braided line and hard lines would not break and cause a fire, but in a crash, anything is possible. So I have mine pointed at them first.

Jim
Old 07-29-2003, 06:57 PM
Mike A.
Instructor

I have 2 nozzles in the **** pit pointed toward the foot wells and fire wall. This is the most likely area flames will emanate fom since most fires originate from the engine (I drive a 944T). I used to have the nozzles pointing upward toward the drivers and passenger seats. I found out this wasn't too good when I needed to set off the extinguisher. The spray came at my chest and face...it was a good thing that I was at a standstill by then because I would not have seen much of the track if I was still rolling. There's also a nozzle in the engine bay pointing at the fuel rail and one over the fuel tank.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:15 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike,

With a 3 nozzle system like that, how long does the discharge last ? and how big is the bottle ?

I have a 10lb bottle and was wondering if it was wise to go with a longer discharge from 2 nozzles or a shorter discharge and better coverage through 3 nozzles.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:59 PM
Mike A.
Instructor

OZ,
It's actually a four nozzle system with a 3.5 liter AFFF (aqueous film forming foam) tank. Each system (AFFF or Halon) size should be designed for a certain number of nozzles. In fact some systems come with different size nozzles for different applications. Use a splitter as far downstream as you can so that it discharges as efficiently as possible. For example, if you're using two nozzles in the engine bay, run a tube all the way to the engine then split it there for the two nozzles. Try to make the two split segments equal in length.
I don't know how long the discharge took, I didn't hang around after I pushed the button.
Mike
Old 07-31-2003, 03:56 PM
Dave Banazek
Advanced

Halon type systems can freezeand imobilize your body parts if it hits them directly, even through your suit.. You should not point most systems at the driver. A long time racer who has seen it happen had me move my nozel.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:02 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

There seems to be no standard with regard to number of nozzles. Mike A. has 4 nozzles on a AFFF 3.5 L system I have a 2 nozzle with 3 max on a 4L Safecraft AFFF system. I asked about discharge times to decide like OZ951 whether the number of nozzles was significant. Of course I got no answer after I bought my unit. There is one guy who answers the phone at safecraft and he does not know very much. Safecraft markets a user recharageable AFFF/fireaide 200 system. It comes charged and sealed from the factory with dates etc. for your tech inspector. However, Safecraft does not have a system in place to recertify their units after the 2 years some clubs require to reinspect the units. Safecraft sells the AFFF recharge kit but does not provide the update stickers for your sactioning body. Safecraft does not sells nor provides proper mounting harware in their kits. They don't even have instructions on installation or general guidelines. I guess I am supposed to know what to do.

Before SAfecraft I tried to buy a firecharger system but basically got one distributor who did not carry it, one distributor who knew nothing about it, and the manufacturer would not sell me one direct. So I did not buy it.

Before firecharger I tried OMP. OMP seemed to not be able to process my faxed order complete with credit card# so I didn't buy that one either. Rumor has it that OMP has some problems with their internal flop tube design that restricts the retardant from coming out when the car is upside down. That's just a rumor. Currently there are some DOT issues and the Likes of OMP and some others out of the country SPA? are not shipping at all. That's a rumor too but OMP quietly had Fire systems off the website. I have not looked lately.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:20 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

I went for the goal of targeting likely sources of fire; one back at the gas tank, to cover it and fuel pump/accumulators, and one up in the engine compartment near all the fuel/CIS parts. Then I have one for me in the footwell, since I too drive a front-Porsche, and that's likely where any threat of fire would be. I have an 11lb Phoenix system from OG.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:25 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I am going to mount single nozzles in engine bay, between seats and at gas tank. I believe one nozzle in each location will suffice since halon only needs about a 5% by volume content to retard flame.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:12 AM
Mike A.
Instructor

Fatbillybob,
Try Bob at Stable Energies. He sells AFFF systems by SAC-Tech , he recharges them, and he seems to know his stuff.
www.stable-energies.com or 973-773-3177.
Mike

Quick Reply: cockpit fire nozzle placement