Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Massa details what it's like to drive the 2014 spec F1 car vs. 2013 F1 cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Like new Porsches and BMW's, those are cars I would not want to own out of warranty...
Old 02-05-2014, 12:05 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,309 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Unfortunately, all this complexity isn't necessarily going to produce the best racing and afterall, isn't that why we watch? Jensen Button says that the tires are .5 seconds slower than last year, the added weight for the 2014 spec makes the car another 1.2 seconds slower and says that the GP2 cars will be close to F1 cars lap times at some tracks! Add in the fuel cap limit of 100KG of fuel per race and you will have the pitlane telling the drivers what lap times to put in each and every sector.

Excuse my off topic commentary for a moment, but I really don't want to watch the driver that can turn the ***** on the steering wheel the best and manage his fuel load to the end. Senna and Schumacher were the best because they were simply faster than everyone else when they had to be. The drivers now are just asked to manage the systems to a particular set level determined by engineers.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:21 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Unfortunately, all this complexity isn't necessarily going to produce the best racing and afterall, isn't that why we watch?
On top of everything you already mentioned the KERS button on the steering wheel has gone the way of the Dodo Bird. Yes KERS and TERS will still exist, but it will always be available to the drivers whenever they press on the accelerator. The drivers won't be able to use KERS for an added HP boost in an attempt to pass or use it to defend. There is no more KERS button. Plus while DRS will still exist, it likely won't be as effective. Expect more processional racing if the cars are equal. Of course the cars likely won't be equal. So far the Renault power plant is a piece crap. It's not just Red Bull (though Newey has packaged the system too tight). All the teams relying on Renault are in deep ####.

Quick Reply: Massa details what it's like to drive the 2014 spec F1 car vs. 2013 F1 cars