deutschkar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JR944
Working on it, but it if I can get it, it won't be quick.
I am sure I can speak for everyone in this forum...... we are all counting on you, no matter how long it takes to get it.......

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:41 PM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lamb
We all know Pat is an incredible driver and racer and can do amazing things with almost any car he drives . . . especially 911s. However, I am wondering if he acheived the great lap times by purely his driving talent WITHOUT much time to work on setting up the car to his liking? Or, did he actually have some time to work on setting up the car before he ran these fast laps?

If anyone happens to have been close enough to the action on that day, I would love to know from a high level what kind of setup changes he ended up making to bring the car to his liking? Or, maybe he just jumped in the car with whatever setup it had and just drove the snot out of it?

Also, count me as one more person who is very interested in seeing video if any is available.

Jeff
I had breakfast with the owner before the sprint race where we talked about Pat driving the car. Pat just jumped in it and drove it. No setup, no changes, no seat time, no nuthin.

I'm sorry to say that as good as we think we are, I don't know any club racers who could jump in a car they don't typically drive, set the class record like that at a major track, and not ball up the car trying. Most likely he was not going 10/10 because the car is loved by the owner and he would not want Pat to risk the car over a club race. That time is amazing in that car, in a generic setup.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by turbochad

I'm sorry to say that as good as we think we are, I don't know any club racers who could jump in a car they don't typically drive, set the class record like that at a major track, and not ball up the car trying.
Hi, I don't believe we've met before. I'm Matt.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 PM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Hi, I don't believe we've met before. I'm Matt.
Hey Matt, I'm Chad ***.

It is my understanding that Pat had not driven this car before. He had driven the same owner's '73RSR at Rennsport Reunion and that is how they met. Back then, Pat was walking the paddock looking for owners who would let him drive their car.

It is a very nice car that is well maintained and set up. Still, you look at these cars and they are basically a street car without an interior, shocks, springs, motorsport ABS, and Hoosiers. They even came with a factory radio (am, fm, cassette) The early cups had very little motorsport specific systems. This car in particular is the first 964 cup ever made.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:53 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Matt, I'm Chad ***.

It is my understanding that Pat had not driven this car before. He had driven the same owner's '73RSR at Rennsport Reunion and that is how they met. Back then, Pat was walking the paddock looking for owners who would let him drive their car.

It is a very nice car that is well maintained and set up. Still, you look at these cars and they are basically a street car without an interior, shocks, springs, motorsport ABS, and Hoosiers. They even came with a factory radio (am, fm, cassette) The early cups had very little motorsport specific systems. This car in particular is the first 964 cup ever made.

On Hoosiers is even more impressive as
Charlie was probable on Dunlaps, IMO faster than Hoosiers, when he posted his best time .
Old 02-06-2014, 04:57 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Slicks are good for 3 seconds a lap.My 02
Old 02-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by roketman
Depends on car. A hair under 2 in mine.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:35 PM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roketman
I should have stated: Hoosier Slicks not R6s. I have no experience with them as compared with other slicks. To look at them, they are not very wide, I think the rears are 275s not sure the aspect ratio.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:05 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 839 Likes on 423 Posts

I still have my 964 cup...raced it twice in 2013, and will probably race a few times in 2014 as well

Pat ended up being 1.1 seconds faster than Jupeman. Not shabby by any stretch. If Pat's time was in fact on Hossier slicks, the Dunlops (no longer available) were worth probably another 1-1.5 seconds at a track like Sebring.

As for setup, there is really nothing to adjust other than sways, ride height and alignment. Pretty much every driver in glory days of C1 ran the same setup, so I highly doubt there is much to gain on setup.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:10 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

I think there's no doubt that Charlie is a pro calibre driver re. being competent and competitive in Transam or World Challenge or Grandam... but ALMS is another step up, and a driver of Patrick's skill/experience yet another step. So, the results IMHO make both of them look good
Old 02-07-2014, 05:26 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I still have my 964 cup...raced it twice in 2013, and will probably race a few times in 2014 as well

Pat ended up being 1.1 seconds faster than Jupeman. Not shabby by any stretch. If Pat's time was in fact on Hossier slicks, the Dunlops (no longer available) were worth probably another 1-1.5 seconds at a track like Sebring.

As for setup, there is really nothing to adjust other than sways, ride height and alignment. Pretty much every driver in glory days of C1 ran the same setup, so I highly doubt there is much to gain on setup.
In 2013 Hoosier made some considerable changes to their slicks, I doubt the difference in lap times is anything over 1/2 a second.

Track was slow last weekend, a ton of rain and then got warm(mid 80's).
Not ideal conditions for track records.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

I had a chat with him before he went out. Mostly it was about places I thought he could pick up some tenths from watching last year's 12 hour. Glad he took my advice.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
I had a chat with him before he went out. Mostly it was about places I thought he could pick up some tenths from watching last year's 12 hour. Glad he took my advice.
that's why his line was so crazy through turn one
Old 02-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

I had breakfast with the owner before the sprint race where we talked about Pat driving the car. Pat just jumped in it and drove it. No setup, no changes, no seat time, no nuthin.

I'm sorry to say that as good as we think we are, I don't know any club racers who could jump in a car they don't typically drive, set the class record like that at a major track, and not ball up the car trying. Most likely he was not going 10/10 because the car is loved by the owner and he would not want Pat to risk the car over a club race. That time is amazing in that car, in a generic setup.
Chad, thanks for the additional information. Yet further confirmation of just how awesome Pat really is. I hope to be able to obtain some instruction from Pat at some point in the not too distant future. And, if some of that instruction could be some lead/follow work, that would be incredible too. I wonder if he will ever write a book?

Jeff

Quick Reply: Pat Long in a 964Cup!