Sponsored by:

Alum trailer help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 05:50 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Alum trailer help

Hey Gang:
I have been on the hunt for an enclosed, aluminum car trailer for a while. Not much out there. Seems like the "perfect" size is a 24' with a v nose, beaver tail. I would like cabinets for some storage and a tire rack to get the track wheels out of the bed of the Ram (1500). I also want an escape door on the left side, so I can get in an out, much easier without having to climb over the door. The wish list would include a winch set-up, upgraded 5k lb (Dexter?) axles, power outlets, for a small genny (if I go that route), aluminum wheels, 4 "D" rings).....
Around here I can order/spec a CargoPro (made in Maine?) I can spec the aluminum outside with no screws and a one piece roof, but one of the keys seems like build quality. I do not want plywood for the interior, as weight is a key issue (hence aluminum frame, etc.). I know you get what you pay for so what should I be looking for?
Looking at no more than a $10K strike price.
I would be towing approx. 5-8 time per year. WGI, Lime Rock, Mt. Tremblant, nothing really long haul.

You guys are in the know........I did spend some time talking with Rick Betterly (he has a sweet set-up!) and I would appreciate any input. I think for right now, Trailex is not in the picture.
Thankx, in advance, for any help.
Anyone looking to sell one, that is not too old/beat- up.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

My company sells ATC.

What you are asking for can't be bought wholesale for $10k in aluminum.

The Raven will be the least expensive way to go with ATC. They can keep the price low by limiting the options. There is no flexibility. It comes the way they build all of them.
http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/produ...dCarHaulers/44

Some things like the winch and tire rack will have to be added after the fact. The side access door is not available on a Raven.

If you want all that factory ordered you will be going with an ATC Quest but it's more money due to the extra time engineering the trailer the way you want it. A side access door, winch, tire rack etc. are all available.
http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/enclosedcarhaulers.php

Best bet might be to find a used one. I think RL member GT3Techno has a 20' he's looking to move. He's in Quebec so you'd have to bring it back to the US.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:18 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just searched high and low for a used aluminum trailer for months. I really doubt there is even a used trailer out there like you describe for $10k. The aluminum trailers hold their value very well.

I found what I believe was a great deal for $11k. Same as you describe but a 22' flat front ATC. I also had to add the winch and the tire rack which set me back another $1000. It was also 600 miles away, but the lady had one of her employees heading my direction, so delivery was part of the deal.

The next best deal I found was a 20' featherlite for $10k but with none of the options you mention and a bit more wear on it.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:52 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Country911
Hey Gang:
I have been on the hunt for an enclosed, aluminum car trailer for a while. Not much out there. Seems like the "perfect" size is a 24' with a v nose, beaver tail. I would like cabinets for some storage and a tire rack to get the track wheels out of the bed of the Ram (1500). I also want an escape door on the left side, so I can get in an out, much easier without having to climb over the door. The wish list would include a winch set-up, upgraded 5k lb (Dexter?) axles, power outlets, for a small genny (if I go that route), aluminum wheels, 4 "D" rings).....
Around here I can order/spec a CargoPro (made in Maine?) I can spec the aluminum outside with no screws and a one piece roof, but one of the keys seems like build quality. I do not want plywood for the interior, as weight is a key issue (hence aluminum frame, etc.). I know you get what you pay for so what should I be looking for?
Looking at no more than a $10K strike price.
I would be towing approx. 5-8 time per year. WGI, Lime Rock, Mt. Tremblant, nothing really long haul.

You guys are in the know........I did spend some time talking with Rick Betterly (he has a sweet set-up!) and I would appreciate any input. I think for right now, Trailex is not in the picture.
Thankx, in advance, for any help.
Anyone looking to sell one, that is not too old/beat- up.
That guy Rick Betterley has excellent taste and decent bargaining skills and even he paid $10,500 for a less-equipped trailer back in 2003!
You're probably looking at serious used for that price. Consider scaling back the winch and side door from the wish list. You'll have to increase your budget.
As noted, aluminum really holds their value so at least you might get some of it back.
Good luck! A nice trailer is a nice luxury.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I spent last winter going through this exact process, and will echo what others have told you. If you want a quality new aluminum with those specs, you are probably about double the budget you've described. You might wish to consider used, though they can be very hard to find.

My research lead me to 3 quality manufacturers, ATC, InTech, and Featherlite. I toured the ATC and InTech factories, and can tell you they are very similar. For various reasons, I ultametely bought an InTech, and am very happy. I think you'd be happy with the other 2 also.

One thing that might help you. I noticed that Featherlite does not finish the inside of their trailers, like ATC and InTech. They are left very plain, and its up to the dealer or customer to finish it out. Additionally, they come standard with a 2 ft v nose. Generally the "base" featherlite is more than ATC or InTech. However, there are very few unfinished, base ATC or InTech trailers on the used market, most are finished out. Sometimes you can find a used or new leftover unfinished Featherlite. Then you could finish it out yourself, over time, as your budget allows. You'll pay less, get less, but have the basic "bones" to get the car to the track. Just an option to consider.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

ATC, InTech, and Featherlite.
goldrush
trailex
renegade
dont settle now bc you will simply sell it later, lose money, and buy the above
Old 01-25-2014, 09:49 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

For $10k, you may be able to find a reasonable used steel one, but used aluminum ones will probably be more. Did you try

http://www.racingjunk.com/

They usually have a big selection of used trailers.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:45 AM
SWK6Cup

Guys, thankx for all the info, I greatly appreciate it.
My strike price is for a basic alum trailer, upgraded axles...the side door is important and the tire rack would be nice but could easily be added afterwards.........will have to see who deals with Featherlite, ITC, INtech, around here,....no one has any experience with CargoPro? As far as the winch, alum wheels, yada, yada, that can all wait until later......
I am waiting for a quote from a local guy......we'll see how this goes.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:47 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

+993 on racing junk.com. A fee years back, I found a used cargopro 20' +Vnose all aluminum with finished inside, cabinets, but no escape door for $7500. It had both 12V and 120V lights and It weighs under 2500# and tows like a dream. The outside was a bit beat up, but I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. Put in my own winch. Took over a year to find it, keep looking and be lucky
Old 01-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Os Inspector
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at the weight of the aluminum trailers that can hold the weight capacity versus the steel. i found the weight of aluminum trailers to carry a high load were almost the same weight as the steel.

i ended up going steel as the only gain was resistance to weather for aluminum for thousands more.

but i did buy a stacker trailer.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:12 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Country911
Guys, thankx for all the info, I greatly appreciate it.
My strike price is for a basic alum trailer, upgraded axles...the side door is important and the tire rack would be nice but could easily be added afterwards.........will have to see who deals with Featherlite, ITC, INtech, around here,....no one has any experience with CargoPro? As far as the winch, alum wheels, yada, yada, that can all wait until later......
I am waiting for a quote from a local guy......we'll see how this goes.
My trailer is a CargoPro and I couldn't be happier.
However, the company was sold to Thule subsequent to my purchase, and then closed down(I think). It may be the original owners bought it back but I don't actually know that. Worth investigating.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:23 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Like I said, love the cargopro. Rumor was that the quality declined a bit after they were bought, but mines over 10 years old and other than doing the brakes and tires, has been very low maintenance. I do wish I had an escape door because it's a bit tight to climb out. Even with the 20' box + V, I have room for a moped up front,

Name:  image-35578256.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  452.5 KB

and I put the tire rack across the hood of the car with shoring beams just like in this picture of someone else's trailer.

Name:  image-2885223088.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  309.2 KB

Sold my trailex for 5K, so this was the best 2500 upgrade ever. I have a friend with the same 20' cargopro and a cup car who tows with a Cayenne. Not sure I would go that far, but it works for him.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:43 AM
SWK6Cup

Chuck:
thankx for "Racing Junk.com" website......some interesting options.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:48 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

What you seek is very tough to find. Three of us were on the same hunt over the past two months. One commissioned a new build from ATC (24 ft all aluminum, with winch, side door, rack, cabs, recessed lights, etc... very nice trailer but over $20k). One was looking for a used trailex, but the used prices just don't make sense (cheapest one he was able to find was over $14k with very few options). He ended up buying new for about $19K. I found a used cargo pro (2008) and paid $13.5K. Weighs about 2,300 lbs. Tows behind the cayenne just fine (After tweaking car position, I measured the tongue weight at 400 lbs fully loaded with car, tires, tools etc). The thing is awesome, and infinitely more comfortable than a trailex enclosed. However, no taco-cart side door and no winch.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:56 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glen, I'd be wary of a 400# tongue weight. Seems a bit light.

But since yer not running GT4 any longer I shouldn't care.

Quick Reply: Alum trailer help