BMW CCA at COTA March 21-23

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BMW CCA at COTA March 21-23

I hope this is ok to post here...

The Texas chapters of the BMW CCA are having a DE and club race at Circuit of the Americas March 21-23. We still have openings in the 2 most advanced run groups on Friday and Sunday. There are 2 openings in the most advanced run group on Saturday. Schedule should be same as last year with 3 30 min sessions each day (the same amount of time if we had 4 sessions, but less time lost to warm up and checkered flags).

The following are requirements to sign up:
1. BMW CCA membership
2. NO convertibles (except fully caged race cars)
3. a passenger seat with equal restraints (all DE students are required to have in car instruction- not just this event but all BMW CCA events)

Price is $650 for the weekend, Friday is $325.

event sign up: http://msreg.com/TexasTrifecta14

Garages also available (Saturday is full with a waitlist) at http://msreg.com/Trifecta14Garages
Old 01-24-2014, 12:46 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks for posting this. Maybe I will get to COTA this year.

-Mike
Old 01-24-2014, 01:38 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Hmm, I wonder of some of the shine has worn off COTA? I just got confirmed after signing up this morning. Really didn't expect to get into this event as it was invite only/experienced BMW CCA members when first open for signup back in late December. I've been a BMW CCA member for maybe 3 weeks .

There are still spots for White and Yellow on Friday and Sunday (I must of snagged the last Saturday spot). BMW membership is about $50 and you don't need to own a BMW.

Again thanks for posting this .

-Mike
Old 01-24-2014, 01:55 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AFAIK, the invitations were extended, as a thank-you, to those who had instructed for BMWCCA this last year at certain events.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

all cars must have instructors in the car?
Old 01-24-2014, 03:10 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bull_D
all cars must have instructors in the car?
I think what they mean by that is a DE participant has to have a passenger seat with equal restraints. In looking at the roster, I don' think they even have enough instructors to cover everybody for every run session. BMA CCA requires student cars have two seats and recommends, but does not require, that instructor cars have two seats.

I'm not fussed if I have to have an instructor as getting instruction at COTA is tough if you don't hire a pro anyway. I'm not too proud to turn down another set of eyes as I've driven COTA and its a tough place to go fast.

-Mike
Old 01-24-2014, 05:09 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you can join in the fun.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:16 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Registration was tiered....Tier 1 was people that had participated in previous BMW CCA events put on by the Texas chapters. Tier 2 was any member of the 3 sponsoring chapter. Tier 3 is anybody with a BMW CCA membership. Tier 3 opened up a few weeks ago. People that go get a CCA membership now can sign up for any openings (lowest run group- intermediate is full- no novice spots will be at this event as you need to have a few DEs at other tracks first).

Instructors are by invite regardless of the tiers (but they still need to be BMW members).

Instructors are required to be in the car at some point during the day. Usually the first session and if the student is safe to solo then they will be solo. In BMW CCAs opinion the goal of track events is learning and learning rarely occurs alone.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

I'm of the opinion that no matter what you have learned we add to that knowledge every time a coach or instructor sits in the car. Thanks BMW for doing this.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
I'm of the opinion that no matter what you have learned we add to that knowledge every time a coach or instructor sits in the car. Thanks BMW for doing this.
While I agree with you - I didn't learn much from that one instructor that told me all the details of his cool car during the session. I was this close to pulling in the hot pit and giving him a Terminator-esk "Get Out".

It's only happened once in nearly 100 track days, so that's a good thing, and it trained me for distracted driving.

-Mike
Old 01-28-2014, 09:50 PM
mdstx
Track Day

Great event. Well organized. Lots of track time. Perfect time of year to be in Austin. Looking forward to the event. See y'all there.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:49 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Still have advanced spots open for Friday and Sunday.

Quick Reply: BMW CCA at COTA March 21-23