Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rental Options for DE (Spec Boxster / Other?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

JCP - Todd at Reidspeed gave similar info on E30 rental....
Old 01-12-2014, 03:33 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm appreciative of leads for ALL racing platforms, Porsche, BMW etc. It's good to be aware of all options.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:45 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Coulthard Fan
For a Spec E30 rental option in the South East/Florida, MAD Motorsports (out of Miami) will be at many PBOC, NASA and FARA races this year. I just did a 6 hour enduro with them @ Winterfest in Sebring. Zero issues with the car ... When you see the quality of the cars and trackside setup you know they are not messing around. https://www.madmotorsports.com

I have 2 other serious track cars but I like to race these for fun, and they are a bargain to run comparatively speaking.
Could you provide any $ numbers? (per day, per hr seat time, tires included?, etc.). Thanks.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:35 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pricing would be nice to compare all the options.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:23 AM
chartersb
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts
Default SPB

Check with Mike Potolicchio at TuneRS Motorsports in Coral Gables, 954 345 7877. They are good guys who build, race and have SPB's available.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:46 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Umm, ok. I own a Porsche (that I don't need to post much about so I'm a longtime lurker) and he asked about rental track cars.
Point taken... my post was disrespectful. I'm just churlish because I want those d*mn kids to Stay Off My Lawn!!

BTW, I also drive a BMW and a Corvette, and love them both.

My point was simply to advise him to set more specific goals... determine which race series he wants to participate in, be realistic about his long term goals and budget, and not be pushed into a single solution.

If he chooses an E30 ride and drive, that is fine... the E30 is a nice car. This is a legitimate option. It's just that other websites would offer more expertise here.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:30 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Call Tom at Destiny Racing USA http://www.destinyracingusa.com/. He specializes in track car rentals. He has a bunch of vintage Datsuns, BMW, Camaro, Mustang etc. He's rented the shop at the Sebring Race track for the winter.
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Coulthard Fan
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Could you provide any $ numbers? (per day, per hr seat time, tires included?, etc.). Thanks.
HF1: Generally speaking SpecE30 rentals are under $1000 a day, which is inclusive of tires, fuel, support, etc. Light HPDE days are often less, and endurance races more. However, you would have to contact MAD or DriveGear or other renters directly to tell them where you want to go and what you want to use it for as it often varies by the type of event and location. FYI – I’m not an owner of MAD and Todd is not an owner of DriveGear (he’s a driver coach for DriveGear customers and I’m a long term client of MAD). Andrew is a good dude – go RAMS! – and I’ve known Todd for years. I would rent from Andrew in a heatbeat if I wanted to do a race back up at the Glen, etc.

I said SE30's are “relatively inexpensive” because my personal track cars are much more expensive than that to run. I added up the per hour cost once and promised myself not to do that to that math again... but I still run them because I enjoy it Certainly as JCP said everyone has to figure out what kind of events they want to do and what the most fun or cost effective weapon is to do that with. Personally I've always had my own track car[s], but then started to rent cars at far away tracks to avoid the expense & time committment of cross country tows. Then as I started to get into wheel to wheel racing, I wanted to have access to cars that wouldn't hurt me physically or financially if and when I balled them up.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:11 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Then as I started to get into wheel to wheel racing, I wanted to have access to cars that wouldn't hurt me physically or financially if and when I balled them up.
For similar reasons I started racing with Skip Barber (MX-5 series) few years ago "just to see if racing is for me before I commit to getting a race car" and have been doing it since. With some planning, packages, and discounts I could get a weekend (day1: practice, day2: qual + race1, day3: race2) for as low as $3500 including instruction and insurance ($5000 deductible). It would be hard to find a series where racing would be cheaper, especially if you're shooting for the podium (including Spec Miata which is among the cheapest, IMO). The best part is that all the cars are the same (you pick one by lottery) so skill is the main factor, plus if your car breaks down or you wreck it, your weekend is not ruined -- you just get another one.

So for me it has been Skip for racing and my GT3 for DE. Always open to alternatives, though.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I love Skippy. It's allowed me to race on tracks that are just too far to tow to.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:37 PM
zms325i
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. I work for Poudre Sports Car in northern Colorado. We have 2 rental SPB cars available for both DE events and Club Racing. Both cars are pretty booked up, but with interest, more events could become available. They are both complete, and competitive. If you are interested in renting one for a weekend, feel free to call us and speak with Adam. The cars just finished a weekend at TWS, and are ready to go. They are a complete arrive and drive package, with or without track side support.

Quick Reply: Rental Options for DE (Spec Boxster / Other?)