Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:01 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone Been To LeMans??

We are beginning to make plans. I've never been and would really appreciate any advice that would enhance the experience in any way. Finding a good hotel already seems to be a challenge. We are not finding anything. My wife's family lives in France, but too far away to commute for the race. SUPER excited! Would be awesome to meet some RLers over there for the race. Thanks much in advance for advice.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 01-07-2014, 11:13 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Been there several times when based in France.

Check out the city of Chartres for hotels.......direct straight drive on the AutoRoute to Le Mans.

good luck
Old 01-07-2014, 11:26 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman
Been there several times when based in France.

Check out the city of Chartres for hotels.......direct straight drive on the AutoRoute to Le Mans.

good luck
Thanks!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Can also look on TripAdvisor for B&B's / homes for rent. It seem "firms" snap up hotel blocks asap once reservations open, thus need to go thru brokers/packagers for rooms.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:42 AM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I went in '07, we stayed in Chartres. Met up with a Brit tour group which handled the bus/coach transfer to the track each day, shuttles to the distant corners, and left coaches on site to sleep in overnight.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:42 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm staying in Paris and riding the train out to LeMans. Looking forward to it. Never been to the race before.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:43 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RL meetup in Le Mans!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:57 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by morsini
RL meetup in Le Mans!
Now we're talkin!

Anyone have specifics on the immediate area around the track? Hotels nearby within walking distance? Lots of castles in LeMans as well. Would be really cool to stay in one.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:15 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
I'm staying in Paris and riding the train out to LeMans. Looking forward to it. Never been to the race before.
How long is the train ride from Paris?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:27 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Train from Paris is less than 3 hrs I think.

I ve been 3 times, and 2 times to LE Mans Classic,

Very hard to find a hotel and worthwhile using one of the package companies like traveldestinations who are experienced. Getting in and out of the circuit is a bit of a pain so most people camp , again using agents like traveldestinations.

Have a look on beermountain forum for advice.

It can be iffy weatherwise, you can expect anything and walking around in your wet clothes after a few hours is unpleasent. You should aim to be there for the Thurs or Weds Night Quali .

If using campsites, beware of robbers, lock everything or take it with you when spectating, especially towards the end of the race.

It is an enjoyable experience , well worth doing. If you are of an age like me then two weeks later is Le Mans Classic.

I live in Ireland and get the ferry over and drive.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Went in 2011 and loved it. Amazing race that year. We camped so I can't advise on hotels. To me the track and the atmosphere around it WAS the destination so I didn't see the point of putting up with the hassle of shuttling back and forth everyday. Probably getting late to reserve a campsite though.

We took the TGV from CDG and had one changeover I can't remember where to another regional rail line, which brings you to a local station in Le Mans where you then board a city light rail line that drops you very near the track. I believe there is a TGV direct to Le Mans but it didn't fit our schedule unfortunately. The scenery along the regional line was really nice actually.

We had a car rented and bugged out that day as soon as the race was over. The town of Le Mans was not very interesting to me so we took a nice long trip back through the Pays de la Loraine region, up to the coast to great WWII sites like Cherbourg, St. Lo, Normandy, Le Mont St. Michel, etc. etc., finally back to Paris. What an awesome trip.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:23 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was also there in 2011 and it was great. I was on a tour with corvette racing, which was really cool since they won GTE class.
If you want to camp you can rent a tent or a portable hotel room at the track through the Le Mans/ aco website. If you want to stay in a hotel, you will have to go through a travel agency, such as GPtours.com. They have all inclusive packages that include hotel transfers on a coach.
There are also VIP race viewing options that include open bar/food and a good spectating area. It all depends on your budget. I have been to a lot of races over the years and there is nothing quite like Le Mans ! (Except maybe Monaco, but in a different way)
Old 01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This is great info guys. Keep it coming please.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 AM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

If you do locate in Chartres there is a TGV line to Le Mans.

Arriving in Paris the airport Charles De Gaul is on the East side of the city so you have get from there into the city centre then TGV out West to Chartres, set up base then commute to Le Mans.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 143 Posts

Join Automobile Club del'Ouest also known as ACO it gives you some great acsess to viewing areas, reserved grand stands ,cleaner bathrooms, food- it was about $70-80 well worth it

At the end of the race everyone goes out on the front straight for trophy's . Its crazy everyone trying to squeeze out there. Watch you wallet and bags. A buddy with us was pick pocketed while he was out there

Quick Reply: Anyone Been To LeMans??