Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On-board video

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014 | 02:31 PM
Jerome104
Instructor

Default On-board video

Other than the standard go-pro gear is there a neat easy to install on board video (recording) system? Would like to install on as a teaching aid for myself.
Old 01-06-2014 | 02:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, there are many. What type of car do you have and what year model?

In no particular order, AiM SmartyCam HD is nice and self contained. With a cigarette lighter power plug and an external antenna (required), it can write speed, lap times, g's day and date as well as other information onto 720 P shake free video, real-time. You can clamp it to a harness bar or hang it upside down on the windscreen with a serious suction cup mount. Pull the SD card and play it right away.

There is the Race-Keeper all-in-one box that records data and video, there is the compact and extremely easy to use VIdeo VBOX Lite (can stuff it in the glove box, attache cameras with suction cups and plug in the power cable in about a minute and a half and go) that can be mounted in any position. Lots of options.

AiM SmartyCam HD pic standalone option pic here:
Attached Images  
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-06-2014 | 03:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Peter listed the options pretty well. What is nice about the options he pointed out is that they put the data on the video so you have more than a cool clip to show someone. You'll have speeds and g force that you can then use to compare laps and see what is actually better/faster versus a Go-Pro video with nothing on it.
Old 01-06-2014 | 03:58 PM
Jerome104
Instructor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, there are many. What type of car do you have and what year model? In no particular order, AiM SmartyCam HD is nice and self contained. With a cigarette lighter power plug and an external antenna (required), it can write speed, lap times, g's day and date as well as other information onto 720 P shake free video, real-time. You can clamp it to a harness bar or hang it upside down on the windscreen with a serious suction cup mount. Pull the SD card and play it right away. There is the Race-Keeper all-in-one box that records data and video, there is the compact and extremely easy to use VIdeo VBOX Lite (can stuff it in the glove box, attache cameras with suction cups and plug in the power cable in about a minute and a half and go) that can be mounted in any position. Lots of options. AiM SmartyCam HD pic standalone option pic here:
I have a 997.2 GT3. Whats the best system for this car?
Old 01-06-2014 | 04:05 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There is no 'best system for this car' which makes the hunt more fun. How much do you want to spend?
I have a SmartyCam and it is wonderful.
Keep in mind there will be a flood of SmartyCam non-HD on the market as current owners upgrade to the HD model.
Old 01-06-2014 | 04:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jerome104
I have a 997.2 GT3. Whats the best system for this car?
A better question might be "what is the best system for you?"

I sell, service and teach people how to use five different brands, just for that reason.

The primary ingredient of my coaching is data-laden video, and part of the work I do with clients is to help them learn how to coach themselves, using any one of these brands.

You did originally say "simple, easy to install" before asking "which is the best?"

The best is what meets your needs and that you can use, without too much training, or time..

You can PM me or I'll copy and paste some pros and cons for each that I've written in other threads in answer to this question.
Old 01-06-2014 | 06:20 PM
Jerome104
Instructor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
A better question might be "what is the best system for you?" I sell, service and teach people how to use five different brands, just for that reason. The primary ingredient of my coaching is data-laden video, and part of the work I do with clients is to help them learn how to coach themselves, using any one of these brands. You did originally say "simple, easy to install" before asking "which is the best?" The best is what meets your needs and that you can use, without too much training, or time.. You can PM me or I'll copy and paste some pros and cons for each that I've written in other threads in answer to this question.
PM sent
Old 01-06-2014 | 06:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

PM received. Will respond by tomorrow!
Old 01-06-2014 | 07:01 PM
Jerome104
Instructor

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
There is no 'best system for this car' which makes the hunt more fun. How much do you want to spend? I have a SmartyCam and it is wonderful. Keep in mind there will be a flood of SmartyCam non-HD on the market as current owners upgrade to the HD model.
Smart cam looks pretty good. Here's a dumb question: can one turn off the lap timer and keep other components running ? PCA region doesnt allow lap timers at DE.
Old 01-06-2014 | 07:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No lap timing, except after the fact on the video.
Old 01-06-2014 | 07:45 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

PCA region doesnt allow lap timers at DE.
Yeah, none of us time our laps in DE.
Old 01-06-2014 | 10:10 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Smart cam looks pretty good. Here's a dumb question: can one turn off the lap timer and keep other components running ? PCA region doesnt allow lap timers at DE.
What region? Many people will tell you it's a national rule, but it is not.
Old 01-07-2014 | 09:17 AM
Jerome104
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
What region? Many people will tell you it's a national rule, but it is not.
Zone 1: Rennsport . As long as I can disable the lap timer (visually) it should be all good.
Old 01-07-2014 | 09:58 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jerome,

You will not see your lap times live. Only after the session when you upload the video on your laptop. So there is no need the disable the lap timer. Many of your fellow RSR DE drivers do use Harry's lap timer and review it after any given session. So don't worry about what the SCHD may offer you. And it will surely help you become a better driver.

Charles (RSR former DE driver turned racer)

Last edited by Charles A. Toupin; 01-07-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-07-2014 | 06:19 PM
Jerome104
Instructor

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Jerome, You will not see your lap times live. Only after the session when you upload the video on your laptop. So there is no need the disable the lap timer. Many of your fellow RSR DE drivers do use Harry's lap timer and review it after any given session. So don't worry about what the SCHD may offer you. And it will surely help you become a better driver. Charles (RSR former DE driver turned racer)
Very good to know: merci!

Quick Reply: On-board video