Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This may be one of the most innovative OEM performance products for sports cars EVER

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014 | 01:02 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Already have a car...

I have been on track with Corvettes; they indeed can be very quick. Personally, I have never been able to accept a fiberglass body, so no corvettes for me.

I am convinced that Data Logging is one of the few ways to get to to your optimum performance level. Just cruise over to Peter Krause's web site and there is reams of information confirming this.

I have a RLC MicroPod unit. It is made in my home town of Paso Robles, CA. The unit seems to do all the things mentioned in the Corvette video, and I suspect more. It is plug and play requiring only power, as your OBD II provides it all the data it needs. Cost is about $1,700…they do have a cheaper, less sophisticated unit, for $795. The unit synchs with Google Maps so you can see a trace of your driving line on each lap, and compare the times that result. They even offer a form of telemetry, where your coach can be trackside and capture your data every time you pass the spot where he is standing with is I-Pad.

The 993 OBD II output, or so I am told, does not provide as rich a data stream as the 99 and later 911 cars. As a result, I had my technician hardwire sensors for oil temp and oil pressure as well as break pressure. I do use the predictive timing feature, and of course the shift light array, the lap by lap timing summary at the close of a session. It also has a gear indicator…if you suspect you are in the wrong gear…you'll know in an instant. Fortunately I have rarely needed this feature.

In a few weeks I will be at the track capturing data, and have a knowledgable friend to help be analyze it…looking for a performance edge wherever I can get it. If you want to get to that next level, what other "investment" can you make for under $2,000 that will get you there? You can't buy much incremental HP for a fully developed race car, and you can't use it in a weight to HP class.

Quick Reply: This may be one of the most innovative OEM performance products for sports cars EVER