Sponsored by:

Blown M96: To Rebuild or Not Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Blown M96: To Rebuild or Not Rebuild

One of things I've been going back and forth on is what to do with the old motor that we removed from the car and replaced with the reman motor. I gave my mechanic some feedback via Guy Incognito of what happened when the old one let go (sudden loss of oil pressure, metal fragments on drain plug, knock sensor warning on cylinder #1), and this is what he came back with:
From what you describe, the oil system is contaminated as we discussed. This means extreme caution with all things oil pressure related. What we don’t know is:

1. Crankshaft condition $4,000 new
2. Connecting rod condition, rods have fractured caps and cannot be repaired. Porsche sells a set of 6 rods $1,500
3. Main and rod bearings $100/set times two.
4. Timing chain tensioners in heads – $1,000 times two.
5. Labor $3,500 approximately

Just a very rough sketch for you to think on.
He's offered to buy the motor as is for $1,000 so there might be a slight conflict of interest here, but I'd like to get some advice from you guys if this is a path worth going down. Anyone been here before? What's a fair price if I decide to sell him the core as is? Thanks
Old 12-31-2013, 12:57 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

the really hard part of rebuilding a "failed" motor is how all those tiny bits of metal get EVERYWHERE....every single nook and cranny in the oil passages....in the lifters, oilpump, oil cooler everywhere....just about impossible to get all of them out....

Chances are the crank is scored and possibly ruined.....the rods might be damaged as well....so many variables....I can't speak to what a good used M96 is worth currently....but a ??? blown one is maybe worth its weight in scrap metal....
Old 12-31-2013, 01:04 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Without actually opening up the motor it's pure speculation. If the case halves are rebuildable they're certainly worth more than $1k, perhaps twice that. Is it a 3.4 or 3.6 and what part of the country are you located in?....
Old 12-31-2013, 09:31 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 519 Posts

If the engine in its current state meets Porsche's core requirement, that's a $5,000+ benefit for someone who is looking to buy a Porsche crate engine. There is always a risk that Porsche would not accept it as a core so best talk to somebody that has experience with that.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:16 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 940 Likes on 570 Posts

You can also get sleeves for this motor, so depending on how the cylinders look, you can either replate them or sleeve it. Probably worth more than a $1k, but you have to tear it down first to find out.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:58 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

I would echo what everyone said above, plus....

You absolutely need to tear it down to know what you're dealing with. We've torn 3 of these motors down all with different patterns of internal disaster. The crank condition is the single biggest factor re. cost of replacement. Depending on the mileage/load/wear you also need to check the cylinders re. ovalized. This is also a problem with M96 motors and if out greater than 2/1000 then probably junk. Or needs re-sleeved which renders it illegal for many PCA race classes.

If you're rebuilding I would also add fresh piston rings and various ARP bolts to your budget.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Is it a 3.4 or 3.6?
Old 12-31-2013, 07:21 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I would ship it to Jake Raby at Flat 6 Innovations. He is the M96 guru.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks guys. It's a 3.4 and I'm in the Central Texas area. The most experienced indie shops in the region are TPWS in Austin and Rennsport in Sealy.

Douglap1, that's one of the options I was considering but that would likely turn into a $20k insurance policy effectively. I'm not sure I'm that paranoid about needing a spare. One of the options I'm considering is to just hang onto it as is for now and if the rules change for SP996 to allow some modifications for reliability, sending it to Jake for the full monty.

Jake actually has some interesting reading on his website that has given me even more things to worry about with the new reman motor just installed, eg. the whole lightened flywheel "problem", the unending "which oil" discussion, etc. etc. Sometimes I read too much of this stuff and it's convinced me the engine is going to grenade the first time I take it to redline.

Shall I infuriate the whole room by soliciting advice about break-in procedure for the new motor and which oil I should use to do it?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:08 AM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUGLAP1
I would ship it to Jake Raby at Flat 6 Innovations. He is the M96 guru.
really? how do you define guru?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Thanks guys. It's a 3.4 and I'm in the Central Texas area. The most experienced indie shops in the region are TPWS in Austin and Rennsport in Sealy.

Douglap1, that's one of the options I was considering but that would likely turn into a $20k insurance policy effectively. I'm not sure I'm that paranoid about needing a spare. One of the options I'm considering is to just hang onto it as is for now and if the rules change for SP996 to allow some modifications for reliability, sending it to Jake for the full monty.

Jake actually has some interesting reading on his website that has given me even more things to worry about with the new reman motor just installed, eg. the whole lightened flywheel "problem", the unending "which oil" discussion, etc. etc. Sometimes I read too much of this stuff and it's convinced me the engine is going to grenade the first time I take it to redline.

Shall I infuriate the whole room by soliciting advice about break-in procedure for the new motor and which oil I should use to do it?
Pfftt. You don't need oil for break in. Run it dry and REALLY break it in
Old 01-01-2014, 10:36 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TRT41
really? how do you define guru?
Don't you read the online? It says he's the guru. It's on the online so it has to be true.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Sometimes I read too much of this stuff and it's convinced me the engine is going to grenade the first time I take it to redline.
Don't drive yourself crazy. It's really easy to do.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I ran my 3.4 hard for +120 hrs in SE heat incl enduros of 4 hrs or more. Redline every shift.
Motul 300v oil and gen2 OEM IMS bearing. The oil filer was inspected regularly along with periodic look at the IMS. Never any debris or an issue.

We just rebuilt it, but only because the power began to wane somewhat. Btw the gearbox too looked very fresh once it was opened for the new short gears.

Install X51 baffle, deep sump, etc. use good oil and change it often, then run it hard like God and Porsche intended. Que sera, sera <not singing>.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

i do have a 3.6 engine with 60000km on it if anybody interrested

complete engine

came from a flooded car

im from montreal but i can probably ship it on a wooden crate stuff

Quick Reply: Blown M96: To Rebuild or Not Rebuild