Sponsored by:

New cable option for the SOLO DL

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:08 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New cable option for the SOLO DL

I've sold a number of SOLO DL where the customer purchased both the OBD and the CAN harness. I've decided to make a 2 in 1 harness for those that might want both options. It essentially is a connectorized CAN harness with two ends. One is OBD and the other is a CAN hardwire. I'll build the CAN harness to fit the car so the Cayman and Boxster will have about 10 feet of CAN wire to reach the rear ECU, where the 996 and 997 will have shorter wire to reach the CAN near the fuse box in the driver foot-well. The additional cost is $65 just to cover my cost for the OBD connector and Deutsch connector. I will discount the DL to RL members though.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2013, 02:20 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Jerry,

Can you explain how or why you would use that? Doesn't the obd connect to the ecus via can? So why is the extra can part used? Is that how you add extra sensors obd lacks or a way for solo dl to log via can because the obd protocol is before 2008? Sorry I'm clueless.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Nice, Jerry!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-21-2013, 07:03 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Fatbillybob

The purpose of this is to give the end user the option to use OBD or CAN. Most cars provide better (more) data with CAN but some users are happy with the OBD data. I also have customers who have multiple cars and they want to wire one for can and use OBD in the other. Even others have asked for two CAN pigtails. This makes it easy to move around if it has been hard wired to the CAN. Just an option to the standard pigtails offered by AIM
Old 12-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

Awesome idea Jerry!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:59 PM
CTS
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 86 Posts

Any idea when the new MXG is coming out? Price?

Thanks,

Chris Cervelli
Old 12-31-2013, 05:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Aim says first quarter (end of March) for both the MXL2 and the MXG. Based on past performance, it will be later than that.

The MXL2 has been in the works longer (was announced and shown at PRI in December of 2012), but benefits from a processor upgrade to do internal math channels, like the ADL3.

We'll see, I have several customers interested in them for winter builds. I am not promising those customers anything until they're here in my hands...
Old 12-31-2013, 06:58 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Default AIM Dash

I've given up on confirming or guessing on new product releases. I ordered the first MXL2 in Dec 2012 for March 2013 promise date. Not available yet.

If you are building something now/soon and need a dash, consider buying an MXL and I'll take back it in trade toward the new dash(s) when they become available.

Happy New Year!!!!!!!
Attached Images    
Old 01-01-2014, 08:14 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 253 Posts

Unrelated to the above, but since you are tinkering with the cables ...

One of the plastic females connectors on the bottom of my Solo DL seems to have been damaged. I can't get it to accept the cable from my SmartyCam HD. It works on the other connector so I am sure it's the Solo DL and not the cable. Is that part serviceable? Can I remove the bad connector and replace it with a new one? Need to do this ASAP if it's possible.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 940 Likes on 570 Posts

The DL has a 5 pin and a 9 pin connector on the bottom. The cable from the SmartyCam will only plug into one of them.

If the connector is messed up, AiM will have to fix it for you.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The DL has a 5 pin and a 9 pin connector on the bottom. The cable from the SmartyCam will only plug into one of them.

If the connector is messed up, AiM will have to fix it for you.
Actually, it's 5-pin out to AiM CAN accessories and 7-pin in for power and from the vehicle CANBus or OBD-II.

Yes, on the latter. I've not seen this (and have sold over 100 Solo DL's), but I could see how that could happen, especially if the CAN plug from the camera is started in the wrong socket and cranked on.

Rob, see if you can clean it up first. Check very carefully the pin alignment on the cable plug. Otherwise, it will need to go to Roanoke for repair.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:11 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

I am a bit confused:

" It works on the other connector"......You have a four pin and a 5 pin connector on the DL, they are not interchangeable. I've seen bent pins on the cables but never seen a damaged connectors on the DL. Post a photo of the connectors on the DL. I'm on the west cost of FL so I can send you something in one day if we can figure out what is needed
Old 01-01-2014, 10:23 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

OOPS, I was wrong on the number of pins. Here is a photo of the DL connectors on a new unit:
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2014, 09:46 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 253 Posts

OK, got it figured out. Combination of user error and what is quickly becoming horrible eyesight (I hate getting old!) There was a bent pin or two in the OBD cable which made it appear there were fewer pins than there were, causing my confusion. Got them straightened out and everything is working again.

As always, thanks for the help!!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Good deal!

Quick Reply: New cable option for the SOLO DL