Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes helmets with built in "headphone"'s for radio"

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013 | 02:48 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Has anyone done a comparo test quantifying the impact protection of various helmets?
Old 12-25-2013 | 02:59 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Polesitter
I have a couple of Stilos, one of which probably kept me alive and hence my need for a second one. Anyway, the helmets with integrated muffs and hydration sure make life easier. I think the helmet has two drawbacks. One is that the noise cancellation properties are inferior to that of plugs and in some conditions the radio is considerably harder to hear vs plugs. This is not speculation as I have often made a driver change with someone that preceded me with plugs and I am inevitably fumbling around looking for the radio volume ****. The other is that the helmet is a tad bigger and clunkier than some models, but that hasn't troubled me. It is a good product and in addition to the guys mentioned here, Wine Country carries them.
My experience with the Stilo is different. Maybe the helmet fit is not as tight As it is with yours. Doesn't Stilo give you extra pads so that you can shim the ear muffs to the place that you need them. I know that before I had the Stilo I marked the volume **** and have not changed since I went with the Stilo.

I bought mine from Linda at Apex two seasons ago and it is fantastic. I figure that I go through a $100 set of ear buds per year so 5 years is a $500 savings. Thrilled I got it. So much more convenient than ear buds.

Thanks

Ed
Old 12-25-2013 | 03:42 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Halo seats?
No, but if you can't fit your helmet out the window, you can't fit your shoulders either. Unless you're Larry Hermann.
Old 03-22-2014 | 01:51 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Is the only difference between the Stilo ST4 GT W and ST4F the view port? Everything else the same? Is the bigger view port recommended?

How much heavier is the composite vs the carbon fiber?
Old 03-22-2014 | 01:56 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by scott40
Is the only difference between the Stilo ST4 GT W and ST4F the view port? Everything else the same? Is the bigger view port recommended?

How much heavier is the composite vs the carbon fiber?
If I recall correctly, the composite vs the carbon was less than a pound difference, model for model. I weighed the carbon, composite and the Gforce carbon when I was deciding on my next helmet. Went with Stilo composite. The Gforce was about the same weight as the Stilo composite.
Old 03-22-2014 | 02:26 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default ST4F vs ST4 GTW

The main difference is the eyeport is slightly larger on the W model. We sell more of those than any other model. The 4F eyeport is slightly smaller and there's an opening at the top of the helmet for airflow for open cockpit racing where the W has two vents toward the rear of the helmet. Stilo makes spoiler kits you can put on either helmet if you need it for open cockpit vehicles for buffering.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 03-22-2014 | 02:55 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Stilo has different sized shells that are then lined to the selected hat size. Most of the mid range sizes are available in both, but the larger shell is quite a bit bulkier than the standard. You want to be careful when selecting the size...
Old 03-22-2014 | 03:06 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

With the new FIA and Snell standards, different shell sizes are a requirement to pass the testing. It's actually a good thing because now us fat heads get a proper amount of impact protection and small heads get smaller helmets.

HJC just came out with a helmet with integrated earmuffs and audio.

Quick Reply: Who makes helmets with built in "headphone"'s for radio"