Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no COTA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 04:07 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking $1375 a day when Jenk mentioned it to me earlier. $458 a day for an F1 track is not that bad? It makes the facilities at pretty much any of the track look rather mickey mouse. Like saying renting out your local High School stadium for a 7-7 football tournament or renting out cowboys stadium. Not on same level.

We can't reasonably expect the same rates as the usual track right? I mean they spent have a billion dollars to build it. Has to come with some sort of premium.

I used to pay over $600 for two days with Panoz Racing school at Road Atlanta. Add a day and that's well into the $900's if they had 3 days. And Road Atlanta everything but the track is not high quality. Barber is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and still doesn't compare. Seems like a reasonable increase.

That being said. I'm not going any time soon. I have a hard time motivating myself to drive 14 hrs for a DE.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
How many of yous guys would pay $1375 for a DE or a race weekend? Serious question. I'm trying to figure out what the market is really like.
I think you might have better uptake on a dedicated DE (no race to share the track) at that price. Drivers would get almost guaranteed track time with no compromises for a race. A DE would offer a larger crowd of potential drivers for the "prestige" of driving their street cars on an F1 track.

For a guaranteed 3 days of solid track time, I would consider paying that price, even for a DE, in order to get good extended practice time on the track. Based on what I saw in videos from the last PCA DE, though, there would need to be better classification of drivers.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:50 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit
It may be a little different for me because my wife drives too.
Having a city like Austin to play in the down time, seeing friends, and getting out of the Midwest Winter... still a bargain for me.
And the rest of the story is Charles has a nice new to him 7.2 GT3 sitting in Austin waiting to be picked up.

Peter
Old 12-13-2013, 05:57 PM
jcs_911
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

COTA needs to boost the track rental rates so they can save slots for their important events:
"
Jeff Foxworthy and Circuit of The Americas have been cooking up something totally new for people who love the Music, Comedy and the Great Outdoors!

It's called RedFest presented by Natty Light, and it's coming to Circuit of The Americas in Austin, TX May 23-25, 2014!

RedFest presented by Natty Light is a three day celebration of music, comedy, reality TV, camping, hunting, fishing and loads of hands-on activities for people who work hard, play harder, and love the outdoors.

3-Day Festival Admission For Only $99*!
*Special Price Available Until 12/31"
Old 12-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Doug007
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't want those unwashed heathens from the Porsche club on our track. I know! How about a redneck festival!! Skynyrd!!!!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:01 PM
CKit
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
And the rest of the story is Charles has a nice new to him 7.2 GT3 sitting in Austin waiting to be picked up.

Peter
Well, there is that...

Looking forward to getting out of the snow and seeing you guys. Austin is a great town!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by jcs_911
COTA needs to boost the track rental rates so they can save slots for their important events:
"
Jeff Foxworthy and Circuit of The Americas have been cooking up something totally new for people who love the Music, Comedy and the Great Outdoors!

It's called RedFest presented by Natty Light, and it's coming to Circuit of The Americas in Austin, TX May 23-25, 2014!

RedFest presented by Natty Light is a three day celebration of music, comedy, reality TV, camping, hunting, fishing and loads of hands-on activities for people who work hard, play harder, and love the outdoors.

3-Day Festival Admission For Only $99*!
*Special Price Available Until 12/31"
Yes, i have been receiving these emails, too, and have no idea what Natty Light is.

Regardless:

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 06-13-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:41 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I was there last Feb with MVP. I'd go again for that price. I already e-mailed Mark.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:13 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I look at it is the increase in price is about the same as an R6 for my car. I have a dozen of those sitting around half used, everything is relative. Besides, the track and its environment are very special. Austin is a great town. No debate for me on this one. Allan
Old 12-14-2013, 02:16 AM
CKit
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes, i have been receiving these emails, too, and have no idea what Natty Light is.

Regardless:

This ad is ironic on multiple levels...
Old 12-14-2013, 04:35 AM
YZ250
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Assume three days for that price
Mike,

I live in Austin, and at that price, the answer is no for me. I would haul to Hastings or NOLA on the schedule instead.

Brian
Old 12-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Mike

I would prefer to see 3-4 events like your recent Andy Lally track weekend. Even if there were no Andy Lally the format was the single best training weekend I have ever had. Plenty of time to run out try something go back to the trailer review data, discus changes, get input from some great coaches and get back out and try again. No fuss with run groups it was great.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
Mike

I would prefer to see 3-4 events like your recent Andy Lally track weekend. Even if there were no Andy Lally the format was the single best training weekend I have ever had. Plenty of time to run out try something go back to the trailer review data, discus changes, get input from some great coaches and get back out and try again. No fuss with run groups it was great.
This is great feedback. Mike and I are looking at various ways to have more of these events, both in Texas (but obviously not at COTA) and elsewhere. One of the biggest challenges we face is renting tracks in a way where neither of us assumes liability personally. We are looking to partner with some sort of incorporated entity to solve this issue...
Old 12-14-2013, 11:24 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
Mike

Big time +++. I made the same suggestion after the event.

Hands down it was the best track event I've been to since I started driving - and I missed half of it due to POS motor mounts failing on me Saturday morning.

That event was better than COTA. It cost more, but I got a *lot* more out of it and I'd rather ride shotgun with a pro driver in my car than drive my car on a pro track.

There are some very talented drivers in the group I hang with, but if you have never been out with someone like an Andy Lally you have no idea what the difference is between a pro and a fast local hotshoe. It is very hard to describe, it felt like he was downhill skiing my car around the track. If it wasn't a straightaway he was swishing it around an apex.

My BMW crapbox is a lot faster than it looks .

-Mike
Old 12-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
This is great feedback. Mike and I are looking at various ways to have more of these events, both in Texas (but obviously not at COTA) and elsewhere. One of the biggest challenges we face is renting tracks in a way where neither of us assumes liability personally. We are looking to partner with some sort of incorporated entity to solve this issue...
Dave lets get together I have some shells left from the takeover days or we can creat new ones and shelter everyone. I am also interested as you know.

Call me sometime.

Quick Reply: Why no COTA?