Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no COTA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:28 PM
hairy_scotsman
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, until people start saying "no", the cost of COTA will continue to be unreasonable. With any luck, it will turn around in a few years, but not before they can't fill their schedule with the current fee structure.
They aren't filling their schedule now. Never have. ~130 days this year.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Blitz128
Instructor

I love COTA and it definitely is fun to drive and a neat feel in a race complex where the 'big guy's go/are.... BUT having said that, I LOVE a real baby COTA called Hallett... it is down home fun and family feel racing... twisting track, elevation changes, blind drop off corner, great snack bar, and fun to walk around the various track viewpoints with your bike, feet, scooter and for photo ops... and I have drive 9 hours to get there....
Old 12-12-2013, 11:08 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

For me, the biggest thing COTA has going for it is it is near Austin. If asked last year, I would have listed it on my bucket list of top tracks I want to drive before I die. Not so much now. I think Miller would have been on there at one time when it was "the" new track. For me personally, as far as the US is concerned, Laguna is on the list and always has been. COTA/Miller, not so much. I'd be curious to see how many would put it on their bucket lists and assuming they haven't done it, see if it is still there 5 years from now after the newness wears off.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts
Default 2*18 = 3*12 = 4*9 = 6*6 = 36, dosen't add up . . .

I can understand (maybe) the 36 on track as a limit, but to limit to just 36 in the paddock seems odd. How is 5 run groups of 36 each, different then one open session of 36 all day on the track?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:33 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
How is 5 run groups of 36 each, different then one open session of 36 all day on the track?
How different? Like night and day different......
Old 12-12-2013, 06:59 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXE36
I had heard costs there were going to be 2x last year. Given that simply doubling the already high rental fee sounded far fetched, this is more believable.

What does the track get out of limiting the participants?

Unfortunately, until people start saying "no", the cost of COTA will continue to be unreasonable. With any luck, it will turn around in a few years, but not before they can't fill their schedule with the current fee structure.

-Mike
Heard that straight from one of the organizers in town--sure enough, almost double of last year's daily rate is what they're asking now. Ugh.

That's gotten a no from SCCA here thus far, plus GT3 Cup if you count losing the support race for F1 this year, too. Local PCA ain't happy about it, either. Someone who does a lot of the Drivers' Edge events was saying that group ran into similar issues trying to book a return date (crack pipe rental fees). Sounding unlikely there.

TBH, I had a blast driving it in the Lulzcer, but good grief. Between this and Epstein's comment to the media about limiting the number of major race dates to not play out the local market, it sounds like they're aiming for a very nice racetrack built to host...concerts. And precious little else. Sad.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I didn't race it last year due to a concrete wall in the esses at road atlanta doing a rain dance and jumping on track in front of my car.

Really wanted to make the PCA race there last year. Went to the F1 race this year and it just emphasized how much I really want to race there. Driving the track in simulators you can really get a feel for just how technical it is which really pays dividends to the driver(which is why Dave and Peter like the track so much!) and setup, not just the horsepower.

If there really is no 2014 club race, then hopefully I can get in on the SVRA championships late next year or one of the Ride and Drive companies out of California that I contract with will do an event there and I'll get paid to go!

Either way, I'm in the 'I want it no matter how I can get there boat'
Old 12-12-2013, 08:34 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

spoke to the owner of MVP Tracktime this afternoon, it looks like they will be back for the second year in a row Jan 30-Feb 2. confirmation and pricing TBA.

check out www.mvptracktime.com or email Mark at Feffman@mvptracktime.com or call him at 314.249.3770
Old 12-12-2013, 09:12 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Blitz128
I love COTA and it definitely is fun to drive and a neat feel in a race complex where the 'big guy's go/are.... BUT having said that, I LOVE a real baby COTA called Hallett... it is down home fun and family feel racing... twisting track, elevation changes, blind drop off corner, great snack bar, and fun to walk around the various track viewpoints with your bike, feet, scooter and for photo ops... and I have drive 9 hours to get there....
I love Hallet and it is 14 hours for me. I have been 3 times. Connie and crew are the best.

Peter
Old 12-13-2013, 10:29 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

According to Mark there is going to be a COTA like last year but cost will be higher. 35 cars per run group and 4 run groups. If it is like last year then 3 advanced groups and 1 intermediate group. With fairly liberal passing rules in the advanced groups.

Peter
Old 12-13-2013, 10:34 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
spoke to the owner of MVP Tracktime this afternoon, it looks like they will be back for the second year in a row Jan 30-Feb 2. confirmation and pricing TBA.

check out www.mvptracktime.com or email Mark at Feffman@mvptracktime.com or call him at 314.249.3770
i spoke with mark as well and yes they have the track the same weekend as the pca club race at sebring. i went to COTA last year with this group as the 1st DE to get on the track and back then the track officials had no ide how to run a DE, i know its vastly improved since then. great track but definitely tough to be fast right out of the gate.

btw, last year it was 850 for 3 days per driver. this year 1375!!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:55 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
i spoke with mark as well and yes they have the track the same weekend as the pca club race at sebring. i went to COTA last year with this group as the 1st DE to get on the track and back then the track officials had no ide how to run a DE, i know its vastly improved since then. great track but definitely tough to be fast right out of the gate.

Makes the 2 day/3 day DE at the PCA Texas Two Step in March at TWS look cheap at about $325/$400 respectively.

IMO, $1375 for a DE is nucking futs, but I'm sure there are plenty ready to line up and go.

ETA: Hell, this makes the Andy Lally event at TWS for a kilobuck look cheap. Dave, Mike Globe, Andy and the others that put on that event really did a masterful job.

-Mike
Old 12-13-2013, 11:10 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

How many of yous guys would pay $1375 for a DE or a race weekend? Serious question. I'm trying to figure out what the market is really like.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:23 AM
jenk12m
Banned

I just signed for pca club race and that's 4 days total was 1k and includes night practice
Old 12-13-2013, 11:36 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I just signed for pca club race and that's 4 days total was 1k and includes night practice
So was that a yes or a no?

Quick Reply: Why no COTA?