Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Karting

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

There's a decent kart rental source at Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ thru Full Tilt Karting. The owner is Keith Rafla and he rents karts during practice days and holds a few endurance races every year. Their closed for the season but back on line in March.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:34 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
Best driving and racing IMO, and many F1 drivers still kart in the off season as they say its the closest thing to F1 minus the aero.
This - there are very few cars that can turn in as quickly as a kart - and few of us ever get anywhere close to driving them!

Also have a karting hobby and a racing hobby together can get expensive really fast.. but I can race my kart with new tires, gas, and crew for a weekend for less than 2 slicks on my cup
True. A few years back, I had a trailer set up permanently at a local kart track 10 minutes from my office. 2-3 days/week I could go turn laps at lunchtime - generally just me on the track by myself with a data acq and laptop. I burned a lot of tires and fuel that year, but learned a LOT about driving in the process. In a couple of months I went from backmarker to pole - seriously!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
This - there are very few cars that can turn in as quickly as a kart - and few of us ever get anywhere close to driving them! True. A few years back, I had a trailer set up permanently at a local kart track 10 minutes from my office. 2-3 days/week I could go turn laps at lunchtime - generally just me on the track by myself with a data acq and laptop. I burned a lot of tires and fuel that year, but learned a LOT about driving in the process. In a couple of months I went from backmarker to pole - seriously!
Looks like I'm gonna have to spent a lot of time at Pitt race next spring
Old 12-06-2013, 12:33 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Karting is awesome to keep you in sharp and in shape. I use it for that, as well as working on some driving fundamentals. Personally, I chose a Stock Honda 125cc shifter. It's *stupid* fast and very reliable. I wanted something that was going to be hard to drive (I don't have a karting background) so that when I get back into a race car, everything seems slow.

Wear a quality rib protector and neck brace at all times. If you're not running wheel to wheel with people the odds of hurting yourself are very remote.

Also, IMO, don't go the rental route. Buy your own kart so you can make sure it's 100% fitted for you. The fitment is the most important thing I've found so far... not just in terms of comfort and being able to drive it for more then 15 minutes at a time (which is harder than it sounds , but for outright pace. If you don't fit perfectly in it you will be slow and have a lack of feel which takes away all the fun.

-mike
Old 03-05-2018, 10:23 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Picking up and continuing on an older thread on karting - anyone else into karting these days (these threads are a bit old now)?

Recently started my son into karting. he's now 8 yrs old in a cadet Tony kart. We have 6 club races behind us now and still a lot to learn for both Zachary and myself as his tuner We both learn more each time out. This year we are racing primarily LAKC which is quite competitive and challenging. Last year we ran five club races with Tri-C - loved the atmosphere there but as of last year Tri-C didn't offer the Swift Micro class, only Mini for the engine spec. While he is young enough I want to keep him in the Micro class for as long as we can.

We run with a karting team who stores and transports our kart. Also provides a nice setup at the track (all for a fee, of course) as well as tremendous technical help and driver coaching. It does cost money but since the team carries spares and supplies - it sure helps with the learning curve.

Was seeking anyone else here who karts with their kids these days?

on the grid ready for qualifying

practice day
Old 03-05-2018, 09:21 PM
fabe32
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's so funny this thread came back to life.
I literally spent the weekend reading about karting and debating whether I should buy one and save a lot compared to tracking my car.
Last time I went karting, I probably broke a rib and got really beat up but I had such a blast .
So, for sure fit is super important and wear the neck brace and chest protection.
Sounds Sonoma infineon has a nice karting program.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:28 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic

I love karting but its very tough on the body, because of the high G's and close racing i have seperated and broken a few ribs in the last year or so and that was not fun...
+1

At this point that's something I don't need; having broken 6 ribs in total at different times in my life I know how it sucks. So I'll just watch

Gary
Old 03-05-2018, 10:31 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I purchased my first CRG shifter from Rod at 2 Wild Karting 20 years ago. I was just at Cal Speed Karting in a rental cart yesterday
Old 03-06-2018, 09:29 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by bkovac
I purchased my first CRG shifter from Rod at 2 Wild Karting 20 years ago. I was just at Cal Speed Karting in a rental cart yesterday
How cool - yeah 2Wild Karting have been around for a long time, Good people. Rhod's son Ryon now runs the show there. They've been very helpful for my son and I both!
Old 03-06-2018, 10:54 AM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

i remember seeing the kid with the McDonalds helmet on Sunday, good luck
Old 03-06-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I purchased a kart for my nephew 2 years ago when he turned 4...turns out maybe that was a little early but we've spend the last couple of years getting him trained and comfortable and he is going racing this year at the age of 6.

What's happened along the way is a healthy brotherly rivalry has forced the purchase of 2 more karts for the "instructors"...and then yet another for my wife so the whole family is involved in the action now. It's stupid fun, great cheap driving practice and a way to get the competitive juices flowing. We're just running 2 stroke 100cc Yamaha's so not the most serious of equipment out there but still meets a need.

Rib injuries are no joke though...fought one all of last year and had to use the winter to recover fully. Upgraded my vest for this year to hopefully not suffer any new injuries.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:13 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

yeah it is great to read about others experiences and advice on karting. There are so many aspects that go into it which is why I say both my son and I are gaining so much needed experience.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:49 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
yeah it is great to read about others experiences and advice on karting. There are so many aspects that go into it which is why I say both my son and I are gaining so much needed experience.
I think you're doing it right Chris. LAKC is a very competitive group and you'll learn a lot. Karting has sure changed over past 15 years. It used to be that you went to the track and just figured it out with some help from local kart shops. Then some guys would have tuners, then part of teams and now it appears you have to have tuners, teams, etc. at a minimum. Proper equipment in terms of safety is paramount
Old 03-13-2018, 09:21 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

We now have his helmet painted. Mike at Savage Design painted it. Meanwhile my track helmets are still white... go figure

Old 03-13-2018, 09:32 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

on track at Buttonwillow for a practice day - a bit of countersteer

Quick Reply: Karting