Sponsored by:

VIR Repaving

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:59 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIR Repaving

Was at VIR over the weekend and they have the North paddock all prepped and ready for asphalt. Equipment was standing by.
THE ROCK IS GONE!!!!!!!!

Oh, the oak tree midway down the front straight is also GONE now. Chopped down.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Man, if they go with standard blk-top it is going to be deadly hot out there June thru late Aug. Sure hope they use a light aggregate.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was there this weekend as well. After a less than perfect start on Saturday morning, it turned out to be a near perfect weekend. I was in the last run of the day, finishing at 5 PM Sunday with very few cars on the track, and it was glorious.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,311 Likes on 1,883 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
I was in the last run of the day, finishing at 5 PM Sunday with very few cars on the track, and it was glorious.
THIS is what makes us come back! Great times!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
Man, if they go with standard blk-top it is going to be deadly hot out there June thru late Aug. Sure hope they use a light aggregate.
They should put down white concrete, done correctly it will outlast asphalt by 10x and reflect heat rather than absorb it...
Old 11-19-2013, 11:39 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I was in the last run of the day, finishing at 5 PM Sunday with very few cars on the track, and it was glorious.
That is a lot of fun. Last summer I was at an event with TWS with my wife riding shotgun for the first time on the track and at the end of the day we literally had the place to ourselves. Got debris flags for birds landing on the racing surface.

My wife, the sweetie that she is, said "do you think we should go in". I'm like, "heck no! This never happens. They will throw a checker when they want us to get off".

Back on topic, white or black, that paddock looks like it will be brutal in the summer without some cover. Bring *lots* of water and sunscreen.

-Mike
Old 11-19-2013, 01:53 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

FYI, they are also repaying the entire track surface, widening some areas for better racing/passing opportunities

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 11-19-2013, 02:12 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was there for the weekend plus Friday, shaking down the Cup or was it shaking me down :-) Unfortunately the fuel pump failed on the last lap of the first session on Sunday morning! I still had a great time!

JF
Old 11-20-2013, 10:59 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
Originally Posted by TXE36

Back on topic, white or black, that paddock looks like it will be brutal in the summer without some cover. Bring *lots* of water and sunscreen.

-Mike

As it was, it was like going to the beach....only no water and no sea breeze. With the reflected sun, I could get sunburned under my chin.

Repairing my car laying in the gravel was no fun either, won't miss that. They should replant trees in the paddock to replace the ones they cut down.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:02 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I was there this weekend as well. After a less than perfect start on Saturday morning, it turned out to be a near perfect weekend. I was in the last run of the day, finishing at 5 PM Sunday with very few cars on the track, and it was glorious.
Wow, must be nice to run with a PCA group that actually finishes the weekend instead of cutting it off so they can get home early. Oh, and the guy in charge of "shutting down early" will leave earlier than the unannounced shutdown. Thanks Shattenbaum dude for cutting us short last summer at the PCA combo club race and DE. Hope you had a nice ride home in your blue corvette. Yes, I know who you are.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:43 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Wow, must be nice to run with a PCA group that actually finishes the weekend instead of cutting it off so they can get home early. Oh, and the guy in charge of "shutting down early" will leave earlier than the unannounced shutdown. Thanks Shattenbaum dude for cutting us short last summer at the PCA combo club race and DE. Hope you had a nice ride home in your blue corvette. Yes, I know who you are.
Ouch.

Usually I leave before the last session, especially if I have to go to work on Monday, but I had scheduled this Monday off. I was also going to leave early if the predicted rain came in, but it stayed dry. So I stayed and had the best run of the weekend. I wish I had a video of the last lap: almost dark, heavy clouds moving slowly by, but with the red sun burning through in the west, headlights glowing around Left Hook and Snake while I turned around Oak Tree, as the last checker flag was waved.

<sniff>

Quick Reply: VIR Repaving