Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 842 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Another of my helpers arrives!
Thanks for the thoughts; I'll check on them.
Ss brake lines are on the build list; forgot to mention them.
I haven't used a cool suit; would be nice to chill, but chasing ice must be a pain. Maybe worth it. How about a helmet blower?
Oil pressure sounds smart; you can then set an alarm, right?
Funny about the computer stalk; like hitting the wipers except you blow up Chicago?!
Oil separator and sump needed on a Gen 2?
Not dexterous enough to left foot! I listen to Ross on that one.
Thermostat - why?
Thanks as always - had a great talk with Dan about graphics. Turns out he knows my 993.
Go for the cool suit - it's a different life all together and ice is easy to come by
You can set the oil pressure alarm on the AIM but you have to make sure that you are actually measuring it
Oil separator and sump needed for Gen 2 - good point. Ask Spencer.
Motorsport Thermostat lets the car run cooler. Ask Spencer.

Glad you connected with Dan.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:46 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Damn, Rick -- It's gonna be real hard for me to keep up with you from now on in my stock '11 Boxster S.

Any idea how much more $$ you're going to pour into the car?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:52 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
Damn, Rick -- It's gonna be real hard for me to keep up with you from now on in my stock '11 Boxster S.

Any idea how much more $$ you're going to pour into the car?
Hi Fred
I suspect you'll find a way; you always have.
The car is, umm, a bit more than the 993 (which is for sale to the right buyer).
Old 11-14-2013, 12:09 AM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

great thread. looking forward to the updates.

You have a Gen 2 so no oiling updates needed (sump or air/oil thingy)

Personally, I wouldnt get the 3rd radiator unless youre racing or planning to run hard in the middle of July or August.

Getting a RSS or Mantis pulley should help a little with the power steering cooling. But you may want to get a power steering cooler while your at it to be safe.

One of the weaker points on all Caymans is the soft brake pedal feel. Apparently this is more pronounced if you goto heavy braking tracks (Sebring is hard on brakes). GT3 master cylinder is a great and relatively cheap add on. I've heard various opinions on SS brake lines, but for me GT3 master cylinder made a big difference in pedal firmness. You can save some $$ by getting the generic brand through ECS (they make the Porsche part also). Make sure its the GT3 and not the PCCB though...

Looking forward to the pictures.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:05 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good looking donor, I like how the coaching and setup etc was included in the deal
Old 11-14-2013, 03:34 AM
Instructor

Congrats Rick.
987.2s are not as easy to come by (much lower production #s)... good find.
From what I've researched, the 3rd radiator drops engine oil temps an average of 10-15*.
There's some debate over the master cylinder in the 987.2 Stock MC has a lot of travel. I found it excessive and replaced it with a GT3 unit. Straight swap, much less travel, more confidence inspiring to me at the expense of being a little more sensitive to modulate. Wonder how the big brake kit feels with either unit?
Old 11-14-2013, 07:14 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

I have the 3rd radiator in my '11 Boxster S. It makes an enormous difference on truly hot days ( > 95 degrees.) As in you stay on track or you have to park after 10 minutes. And the rest of the time it doesn't get in the way at all.

I don't know why ChrisFL would say

Personally, I wouldnt get the 3rd radiator unless youre racing or planning to run hard in the middle of July or August.
since there is no downside to it.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice build! 6 sp or PDK ? I have a similar build going on right now.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 5500
Congrats Rick.
987.2s are not as easy to come by (much lower production #s)... good find.
From what I've researched, the 3rd radiator drops engine oil temps an average of 10-15*.
There's some debate over the master cylinder in the 987.2 Stock MC has a lot of travel. I found it excessive and replaced it with a GT3 unit. Straight swap, much less travel, more confidence inspiring to me at the expense of being a little more sensitive to modulate. Wonder how the big brake kit feels with either unit?
Good thoughts and consistent with Spencer's; I think we are holding off on the MC as a ''nice but optional' at this point.
We shall see.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:48 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ChrisFL
great thread. looking forward to the updates.

You have a Gen 2 so no oiling updates needed (sump or air/oil thingy)

Getting a RSS or Mantis pulley should help a little with the power steering cooling. But you may want to get a power steering cooler while your at it to be safe.

One of the weaker points on all Caymans is the soft brake pedal feel. Apparently this is more pronounced if you goto heavy braking tracks (Sebring is hard on brakes). GT3 master cylinder is a great and relatively cheap add on. I've heard various opinions on SS brake lines, but for me GT3 master cylinder made a big difference in pedal firmness. You can save some $$ by getting the generic brand through ECS (they make the Porsche part also). Make sure its the GT3 and not the PCCB though...

Looking forward to the pictures.

Thank you, Chris.
I think we are putting in the under drive pulley but I'll check. We talked about power steering cooling but I can't recall whether we are installing the cooler or that the Gen 2 the pump is cooled by the improved over-all cooling of that car. I'll double check.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:08 AM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

I have the 3rd radiator in my '11 Boxster S. It makes an enormous difference on truly hot days ( > 95 degrees.) As in you stay on track or you have to park after 10 minutes. And the rest of the time it doesn't get in the way at all.

I don't know why ChrisFL would say since there is no downside to it.
With proper cool down lap and checking temps with an OBD II reader, temps seem fine. If the front bumper is coming off anyways, then it would be cheap insurance..... but I havent seen any overheating issues at DEs especially with the 7.2 caymans or boxsters. I've ran at Sebring in the middle of July without any overheating problems.

I think initially, people were installing them on the .1s due to the oiling issues. The thought was that decreasing overall temps will help. It looks nice and is certainly nice to have.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Bodymotion Inc.
Rennlist Member

We have a nice sump extension available for the Gen 2 DFI cars. While not a necessity, it is always nice to add oil capacity and cooling. $795
Good luck with the project Rick, you are in good hands.
Your splitter is in production and will be shipped out soon.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:30 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bodymotion Inc.
We have a nice sump extension available for the Gen 2 DFI cars. While not a necessity, it is always nice to add oil capacity and cooling. $795
Good luck with the project Rick, you are in good hands.
Your splitter is in production and will be shipped out soon.
Thanks; you have a terrific company as well.
Looking forward to the splitter. I hope I only need 1!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 842 Likes on 517 Posts

I don't know why ChrisFL would say

since there is no downside to it.
There is some added complexity and a small weight increase by adding the 3rd radiator. I have never had a serious cooling problem with the stock (2) radiator set-up other than following and drafting someone in a race very close for several laps. In that case, I had to off-set my position and stick one of the radiators into the free airstream in order to keep temps below 220 deg F. For DE, there is no issue because you wouldn't follow this closely for an extended time. Nevertheless, I am currently installing the 3rd radiator
Old 11-14-2013, 11:24 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

More on why I got the 3rd radiator added to my '11 Boxster S --

I attended a DE at Lime Rock in August '11. The temps were over 100 degrees all day. (Any one who was there will remember that brutal day.) Each time I went out after 11 minutes the temp gauge went into the red zone, and I parked the car. I had not had this problem at numerous 90 degree DE events.

After installing the 3rd radiator I was at a Summit Point WV DE in summer '12 -- 104 degrees.

Hooray!!! These were ordinary PCA DE events, not close-quarter races.

I would say it is absolutely essential for a race Boxster/Cayman.

Quick Reply: Rick's Cayman S track car build