Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness date question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:36 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Harness date question

Question to all the dedicated track guys out there with hopefully more insight than me.
It appears that it is now becoming SOP for tech lines to check harness dates. I have about 2 years left on mine before I need to replace them. What I don't understand is why they must be replaced when there is no such requirement for street cars with factory issued lap belts. Older cars don't have DOT or NHTSA seat belt regulations. I have heard the "exposed to sunlight" BS, still don't buy it, as the same thing happens with factory belts. (And from what I have observed for the past few years, most of the track cars are stored indoors anyhow (no sunlight exposure)). I have also heard the "lawyers" are mandating it for PCA clubs' track insurance...but I can't fully grasp this one either. The logic isn't there. A guy with an older car, no seat belt mods, gets to enter and drive in an event, but a guy with safety mods, whose harnesses are, past their "shelf life" can't drive? WTF???? So would this mean that if someone shows up with an older factory built porsche car, one that came with harnesses, they would or would not be allowed to drive. This sport is expensive enough and this just seems like an artificial justification to force us to spend more $$$. I am not aware of any other group, (eg, Group 52, Trackmasters, Chins, NASA, Coyote) that have this requirement. I have only driven with NASA once before and maybe it is time to check out some of these groups? If, as a group of consumers, there was a significant push do you think there would be any chance of getting this BS reg. revised? What is next? Anyone who drives in white or higher must have seats and harnesses????
Old 11-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

I do have knowledge of this topic. Street belts are treated with some coating that blocks uv rays from breaking down the material. Racing belts do not have this coating. I agree that it is silly and my car is stored inside most of the time like most other race cars but you never know which cars are stored inside and which outside so the lawyers require it all. The nice thing is belts are fairly cheap compared with other parts or safety stuff.
I would think that if a belt were to be ready to break you would visually notice this by inspection.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:44 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

You ever hear the expression, "peeing in the wind"....

Stock belts are "good" forever. Aftermarket have a shelf life date. Like many things in life, it only makes sense to the lawyers involved. This has been best practice for at least 5 years we're not apt to change it.

Your frustration is duly noted!
Old 11-01-2013, 02:39 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Both helmets and seat harnesses have expirations dates. Depending on how many events you go to the amortized cost is probably the cheapest part of the event. As far as being able to see a seat belt that is ready to break I doubt that very seriously that would be the case. When a seat belt is used in anger it sees some significantly high g forces. We are in a sport that sees high speeds and very large impact forces when things go wrong. I want my safety gear in my machine to be capable of dealing with those forces.

I consider the cost for being safe, $750 a year is $150 per year, if you go to an event 5 times a year that is $30 per event, that is a bargain compared to everything else you are not thinking twice about,l such as gas, tires, brakes, etc
Old 11-02-2013, 12:12 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Differences in UV coating and all such aside, street felts are not under stress except or unless they are saving your life. Track belts should be tight. That means that you are always stressing them - pulling them as tight as you can etc.. So they do age from use. Can't measure the number of times you use them, so the next best thing is a build date.

After 5 years - I WANT to change my belts.

Quick Reply: Harness date question